Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brief Thoughts On Maps

This is the only key I can find that has anything resembling a lightning flash on it. Obviously I don't have a clue what the legend says.

View attachment 512360

Im pretty certain it means transmitter or antenna, the symbols above would suggest there is some kind of differentiation, bit like the OS church with tower and church with steeple?

I was trying to confirm it by looking for Ozleworth tower, NE of Bristol or a similar one midway between Macclesfield and Buxton as both were part of the U.K. defence comms set up (or whatever the correct term for it is). As such they would surely have been of considerable tactical if not strategic interest to the Soviets?

Unfortunately none of the map sheets on the website quite cover the relevant area.

I wonder if the regional government bunkers are marked? More time to “waste”! I’ll be back!

The Red Atlas is fascinating but I’m struggling to understand their symbology which doesn’t seem to follow any logic that I can see?

Below is an extract from Holmes Chapel in the south which is in large font and underlined. Nearby Sandbach (not on the screenshot) is Physically bigger in size but depicted in similar font but not underlined?

Go north to the red dot I’ve added, that’s the site of a strategic water reserve which was certainly active in the Cold War and is all bunkers and barbed wire but clearly of no interest to them as it’s not marked.

Go up the railway and you come to Goosetrey which is quite small but underlined? It can’t be of any tactical value unless they planned on stocking up on excellent pies from the general store there?

Any thoughts anyone? Better yet, anyone sourced a map symbol key?

View attachment 512354

Edit to add, just to the east of the railway, north of Goosetrey is what looks like a trig point but right next to it is an “electric flash” symbol which I’m assuming means “transmitter”.

Yep.

Jodrell Bank!

A lot of their symbols were designed to provide information over and above the standard OS map detail. The number 78 next to Jodrell Bank would refer to a detailed description on the rear of the map. Sometimes significant buildings/installations would have a green circle around them for rapid identification.

The Sovs also colour coded buildings to show their usage:

. . . plan depicting the three colors with a key. Purple: government and administrative offices and their numbers; green: military facilities and communication facilities and their numbers; black: military-industrial facilities and their numbers.
How they identified these important locations is of course an interesting question.

That’s that answered, regional seats of government or “Secret Bunkers” don’t appear to be specifically marked.

The building below is Hack Green, due south of Nantwich. I’m fairly sure it is the actual building too as there’s cock all else around there but no special marking. Maybe they had a different set of maps for high value targets because I can’t believe they’d not be interested in that?

1E2C2C2B-11E1-44D9-BA7D-19F28CE5B2E3.jpeg

Zhopa

War Hero
The Sovs also colour coded buildings to show their usage:

. . . plan depicting the three colors with a key. Purple: government and administrative offices and their numbers; green: military facilities and communication facilities and their numbers; black: military-industrial facilities and their numbers.How they identified these important locations is of course an interesting question.

There's a bit more detail on that, from the aforementioned Alex Kent, here:

Looking at the various Sov maps above they seem to renumber our roads. On the map of Luton/Stevenage the A1 (now A1M) is numbered E31 in a small inset box.

Can anyone explain this?

And can anyone translate the legend next to roads in the key in #1371

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Looking at the various Sov maps above they seem to renumber our roads. On the map of Luton/Stevenage the A1 (now A1M) is numbered E31 in a small inset box.

Can anyone explain this?

And can anyone translate the legend next to roads in the key in #1371
I guessed European Route 31, but apparently it's in the Netherlands.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The key in 1371 goes as you would expect. It's from a map of California:

Motorway.
Motorway under construction.
Good quality main road. Bridge. Distances.
Road with road number US (T) number. State number.
Improved dirt road. Pass.
Improved dirt track.
Forest road.
Path.

Last edited:
I guessed European Route 31, but apparently it's in the Netherlands.

I did check that out first, mostly because of the E prefix.

The A1/A1(M) form part of the E15 Euroroute,

BL has sorted it though. I didn't know they had changed. (To be honest I didn't even know they existed util 2 years ago! I always wondered why roads in France had so many different numbers.)

Exactly right. Solid circles for oil pipelines, empty ones for gas.

(Edited to add: as confirmed by the key that @Tedsson just posted. Another indication, as though such were needed, that the map was not designed for casual tourism. Along with all that other useful stuff like runway lengths, tunnel clearances, bridge carrying capacities and so on.)

Could it be anything else? I'm just thinking oil and gas pipelines aren't straight for long distances, and they don't tend to run through the middle of towns.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Could it be anything else? I'm just thinking oil and gas pipelines aren't straight for long distances, and they don't tend to run through the middle of towns.

A possibility is that the USSR used a different grid system for maps. So the UK being a fair distance to the west, their lines would run from somewhere top left to somewhere bottom right for latitude.

You wouldn't expect them to conform to Ordnance Survey rules, after all.

m pretty certain it means transmitter or antenna, the symbols above would suggest there is some kind of differentiation, bit like the OS church with tower and church with steeple?.....
Possibly radio mast is for a mast on it's own, radio station means a mast plus buildings?

A possibility is that the USSR used a different grid system for maps. So the UK being a fair distance to the west, their lines would run from somewhere top left to somewhere bottom right for latitude.

You wouldn't expect them to conform to Ordnance Survey rules, after all.

That might explain the question about the purple graduations, but there are a few lines with the regular dots, black and open. They're not all straight or at 90 degrees to each other.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads