Brief Thoughts On Maps

I dont know how to break it to you gently but Japans real, admittadly its lacking in the oft depicted 200M tall dinosaur type thing traipsing through the villages - but the lands themselves are confirmed as existing
Are you sure? Have you been there, seen it?

Maybe I was less than precise wiv mi wurds.

The map was drawn before the first recorded visit to Japan by Europeans. I hesitate to call it a "discovery" as it was probably fairly evident to the Japanese. So it's existence was a sort of faint rumour or vague recollection at the time.

That last post reminded me of what is probably the daftest conspiracy theory going (which is a fiercely contested battlefield).

The tinfoiler theory is that Finland doesn't actually exist. Apparently the Russians and Japanese invented it to keep ships out of the "sea" so they could get all the fish.

So the Baltic actually looks like this:
finland.jpg

I don't know if this started out as a practical joke or a wind-up but it seems to have developed legs in tinfoil world.

Overview of lunacy here: There Is No Finland: Birth of a Conspiracy Theory

Last edited:
Are you sure? Have you been there, seen it?

Maybe I was less than precise wiv mi wurds.

The map was drawn before the first recorded visit to Japan by Europeans. I hesitate to call it a "discovery" as it was probably fairly evident to the Japanese. So it's existence was a sort of faint rumour or vague recollection at the time.
I don't know, I'm beginning to have some doubts. It's definitely the sort of thing someone would make up.

Why can't he walt as a bomber.

Are you some kind of planeist gammon denying him his right to self-identify.

If you want to be pedantic about it Enola Gay was Tibbets' wife.

(Mongness Edit: No she wasn't. She was his Mum. Good example of Muphry's Law).

Last edited:

Bodenplatte

War Hero

I thought it was his granny ? Off to google to have a look

Edit. It was his Mom

So it was. My bad. I knew it was some bird in his family.

"Hey mum, I named my bomber after you and nuked 70,000 Japs"
"That's nice dear".

I believe the term is aero sexual all though that could be a fetish for bubbly chocolate

There is an animated map of all the battles ever fought since the beginning of recorded history here:

Battles seem to drop out after a while but they are all there in the final images.

France wins the most battles (une erreur sûrement) with the plucky Brits coming second.

Poland seems to be a fairly aggressive little bunch of Slavs coming in with a smash hit at Number 7, ahead of even the Romans (which came as a bit of a surprise to me given Poland hasn't actually been a country for long periods of time).

Takeaway: The Europeans are an aggressive lot of warry bastards.

load_fin

War Hero
There is an animated map of all the battles ever fought since the beginning of recorded history here:

Battles seem to drop out after a while but they are all there in the final images.

France wins the most battles (une erreur sûrement) with the plucky Brits coming second.

Poland seems to be a fairly aggressive little bunch of Slavs coming in with a smash hit at Number 7, ahead of even the Romans (which came as a bit of a surprise to me given Poland hasn't actually been a country for long periods of time).

Takeaway: The Europeans are an aggressive lot of warry bastards.
A couple of points for thought:

1. France fought a lot of battles in the early period; in the last 500 years I think UK has won more.
2. A lot of what is now Poland used to be Prussia; borders moved around
3. The Americans sure fought a lot of battles against the Indians in 19th century
4. During the English Civil War, England turns white
5. For every battle won there has to be a loser. Looking forward to the losers equivalent

That last post reminded me of what is probably the daftest conspiracy theory going (which is a fiercely contested battlefield).

The tinfoiler theory is that Finland doesn't actually exist. Apparently the Russians and Japanese invented it to keep ships out of the "sea" so they could get all the fish.

So the Baltic actually looks like this:
View attachment 487553

I don't know if this started out as a practical joke or a wind-up but it seems to have developed legs in tinfoil world.

Overview of lunacy here: There Is No Finland: Birth of a Conspiracy Theory
I hope you're wrong. A friend flew out to 'Finland' this moring.

At the risk of becoming a Georeferencing bore, I've just completed correcting a series of G'ref'd maps for the BL. An update to their system had put the previous work totally out of bonk, to use the technical term. What started as a lockdown project off my own back, after seeing the TV documentary on OS, was 80% finished when the Curator announced that there was a problem with the map series and no one was to do any more work on them until they had deleted them and re-released them to the community.
I shat bricks.
After emailing him I was relieved to find that what I was doing was a suitable fix for the problem and to carry on. Phew!
I thought some of you may like to see what your locality looked like a couple of hundred years back, so I have placed a spreadsheet of links to the maps on my Google Drive. From the index map you can see that mapping stopped at a line roughly from Liverpool to the Humber Estuary. I'm making no suggestions why the mapping stopped at Liverpool......:rolleyes:
Link to Spreadsheet
There are 443 maps in the original survey; 404 of them had been flagged as a problem. I originally worked from the BL interactive map page, a sea of blue dots containing the entire Georef project and then cross-referred with the error list BL provided, capturing all but 3 (I think) of the 443 total, but I can only list the 404 . If you find a map you want in the 443 that does not appear in the corrected list, PM me and I may be able to find it in my history and give you the link.
It is surprising how much and how little the terrain has changed. The map names are as recorded by the original surveyor/draughtsman and are sometimes not the most obvious - one is named "Wynnstay Arms" rather than a town, I can only think he got a kick-back or the beer was good. The series was numbered as per the index map, but only within the drawing itself and at the time of correcting I did not think to record it, unfortunately.
The web page is pretty easy to use and best viewed against Google Earth (choose from globe icon).

Enjoy, if it's your thing, if not, bore-fest over!

Friday Quiz Question.

Which country has the most time zones? (Don't include the poles where you can theoretically walk around them all in a minute. Antarctica has 24 in theory and 11 in practice but in reality uses GMT).

Hint: Size might not lead to the answer.

Found this today: confluence.org

A bunch of obsessives who make us look merely slightly interested.

The Degree Confluence Project set themselves the objective of visiting every latitude and longitude integer intersection in the world, taking a photograph and posting it on their web page. They have excluded confluences in the seas and oceans and near the poles.

As you are never more than 50 miles away from an integer confluence feel free to join in the fun.

Well that met with a hugely underwhelming response.

For what it's worth (seemingly not much judging by the response) the official answer is France with 12 time zones. That's because all of its overseas islands and scraps of land count as part of France. In reality it's Russia with 11 time zones in one contiguous country. Not to be outdone the Merkins also claim 11 by adding in a few stray islands and a bit of Antarctica (which actually has 9 but uses GMT all over).

Britain also has 9, which is odd for a north/south skinny little country, but we add in our share of the wemnants of the Bwitish Empah.

- - 0 - -
Any hoo, the real reason for the post is this.

I am trying to write something about the use (or misuse) of maps in the armed forces (any branch will do even if the blueish types do refer to them as charts).

Although there are a few in this thread I am looking for anecdotes about maps in the military. Funny anecdotes about the poor map drills of officers are especially welcome (even in they are mythical or just invented).

Fables and dits about navigation by goat, bushy topped v pointy topped trees, north/south confusion, Dropshorts shelling their rear party are welcome. Even true stories will suffice (perish the thought).