Brief Thoughts On Maps

….Just been reading a book on maths and in the bit on database errors the bloke talks about Null Island. This is a non-existent island located at co-ordinates 0,0 (i.e the intersection of zero degrees lat/long). An input error will bring this up....
We should have our own, a virtual lighthouse beyond Bishop Rock for the OS Grid origin.

Tell people it was built upside down, which is why you can't see it. Or it sunk when a keeper left the plug out of the bath,

Karamoja

War Hero
We should have our own, a virtual lighthouse beyond Bishop Rock for the OS Grid origin.

Tell people it was built upside down, which is why you can't see it. Or it sunk when a keeper left the plug out of the bath,
That reminds me, I was once told that there was a big chunk of Lake Kariba missing from Rhodesian maps. Thinking about it again, they may have had to add a chunk to it. It was a long time ago.

Last edited:
The COVID19 outbreak seems to have hit Null Island with a vengeance. Huge number of cases reported by the authorities. Game over man for the poor Nullians.

Screenshot (2).png

I noticed that big dot in the sea a few days ago and thought "WTF is that, there's nothing there".

It dawned on me that it was Null Island and that somebody had forgotten to enter the co-ordinates correctly, or at all. It has shown up variously as Tennessee, Nassau and the MS Diamond Princess. Tut tut.

The COVID19 outbreak seems to have hit Null Island with a vengeance. Huge number of cases reported by the authorities. Game over man for the poor Nullians.

View attachment 461898

I noticed that big dot in the sea a few days ago and thought "WTF is that, there's nothing there".

It dawned on me that it was Null Island and that somebody had forgotten to enter the co-ordinates correctly, or at all. It has shown up variously as Tennessee, Nassau and the MS Diamond Princess. Tut tut.
If that's what the computer says, it must be true!

It's with deep regret that I have to announce that Null Island was hit by a megatsunami and has now sunk beneath the waves.

All those poor islanders iz now wiv da angles.

They will not be forgotten.

I caught most of this whilst driving home earlier this week

Quite interesting, looking at maps from a philosophical perspective as they've gone from paper to pixels and the origins (CIA etc) of Google Earth.

I learnt something;
North has only been accepted as the top of the map for the last 400 years or so since Mercator. Early Christian maps put East at the top showing the garden of Eden, with Jerusalem at the centre. Islamic maps put the South at the top and the Egyptians put East at the top. Nobody put West at the top (as that was where the sun set into darkness). Now all satnavs put you at the centre, and your direction of travel at the top. Every day a schoolday etc

On the plus side.... you can now pin your location and have a map printed off with you in the middle. so the argument that the British Army will only find a battleground where 4 maps meet, in the dark and it's raining is now down to quality canvas and electricity.

Last edited:
This sort of fits here as it pretty much impinges on most maps (well, street maps at least). It never dawned on me that large swathes of major countries had no street names (West Virginia for example).

Been reading The Address Book by Deirdre Mask.

She looks at the relationship between street names, class, colour, poverty etc.

Examples of the chapters:

DEVELOPMENT
1. KOLKATA: How Can Street Addresses Transform the Slums?
2. HAITI: Could Street Addresses Stop an Epidemic?

ORIGINS
3. ROME: How Did the Ancient Romans Navigate?
4. LONDON: Where Do Street Names Come From?
5. VIENNA: What Can House Numbers Teach Us About Power?
6. PHILADELPHIA: Why Do Americans Love Numbered Streets?
7. KOREA AND JAPAN: Must Streets Be Named?

POLITICS
8. IRAN: Why Do Street Names Follow Revolutionaries?
9. BERLIN: What Do Nazi Street Names Tell Us About Vergangenheitsbewältigung?

RACE
10. HOLLYWOOD, FLORIDA: Why Can’t Americans Stop Arguing About Confederate Street Names?
11. ST. LOUIS: What Do Martin Luther King Jr. Streets Reveal About Race in America?
12. SOUTH AFRICA: Who Belongs on South Africa’s Street Signs

Last edited:
I downloaded something called GAIA GPS on the iphone for free, probably been mentioned on here before but absolutely outstanding.

I downloaded full on Australian equivalent OS maps to my iPad in PDF format, the GAIA ones were as good and had your GPS position despite having no service.

9. BERLIN: What Do Nazi Street Names Tell Us About Vergangenheitsbewältigung?
There are a few ways that local Councillors can leave their mark on their town, notably the naming of streets. IIRC Bolton council vigorously opposed and eventually lost the battle with the government's planning inspectorate over a housing development. To spite the developers and discourage would-be buyers, they proposed naming the streets such as Belsen Avenue, Hitler Drive and Goering Way.

I downloaded something called GAIA GPS on the iphone for free, probably been mentioned on here before but absolutely outstanding.

I downloaded full on Australian equivalent OS maps to my iPad in PDF format, the GAIA ones were as good and had your GPS position despite having no service.
The iphone and ipad have an integral GPS processor. Generally this will work without mobile or wifi connectivity.

It's not massively powerful and where mobile/wifi connections do exist it uses what Apple call "assisted GPS". It doesn't work well in cities, indoors, in valleys etc but it does work.

Karamoja

War Hero
I caught most of this whilst driving home earlier this week

Quite interesting, looking at maps from a philosophical perspective as they've gone from paper to pixels and the origins (CIA etc) of Google Earth.

I learnt something;
North has only been accepted as the top of the map for the last 400 years or so since Mercator. Early Christian maps put East at the top showing the garden of Eden, with Jerusalem at the centre. Islamic maps put the South at the top and the Egyptians put East at the top. Nobody put West at the top (as that was where the sun set into darkness). Now all satnavs put you at the centre, and your direction of travel at the top. Every day a schoolday etc
Thanks, I found it interesting. Now we know why the UK government initially wanted to develop their own covid-19 app rather than use Apple's and Google's developer tools to develop one. I don't have a GPS in the car and when I go on a long trip going south, I hand draw a road map with south at the top, so for example, left turns at junctions on the map are left turns on the ground.

Zhopa

War Hero
And the North Pole is actually the south pole of the earth.
I have read this several times, and the number of "Informative"s suggests that at least three people know what you are talking about, but not I I'm afraid. Could we (I) have that again with subtitles for the hard of thinking please?

I have read this several times, and the number of "Informative"s suggests that at least three people know what you are talking about, but not I I'm afraid. Could we (I) have that again with subtitles for the hard of thinking please?
On magnets like poles repel - opposites attract
Ergo as the North pole of a magnet is pointing to the North pole then North pole is in fact a magnetic south

Extract from a Post of mine last year ...

I now also use the OS App with all UK maps licence to create and track new routes ... cost ~£25 pa ... and I can fly through route before doing the real thing
... the App is on my Laptop and Mobile Tel ... create route on Laptop and use on Mob Tel ... location established by GPS and it is possible to record actual route taken ... I do not have a problem paying 50p per week for such functionality .

Latest Threads