Brief Thoughts On Maps

Thanks for your reply - i'm trying / been trying to georeference several aerial photo's of Verdun from the Great War, as they're not already referenced, the side-by-side viewer wouldn't really help - sorry to interrupt your intake ;-)
I've just had a look and it does have trench maps. Look at the Belgium/France Category. Might be useful for identifying "known" points for geo-referencing.

I've just had a look and it does have trench maps. Look at the Belgium/France Category. Might be useful for identifying "known" points for geo-referencing.
Doesn't seem to extend as far SE as Verdun. Bollocks.

ETA Coverage seems to stop at Reims.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply - i'm trying / been trying to georeference several aerial photo's of Verdun from the Great War, as they're not already referenced, the side-by-side viewer wouldn't really help - sorry to interrupt your intake ;-)
Georeferencer

The website above allows you to upload and georeference a .jpg (also tiffs, I think) FoC as a trial. After 1 you have to 'upgrade your plan'........ or sign in with another email; my wife never knew she liked maps! No idea what a plan costs as I'm a cheap barsteward.

Heard an interesting question the other day.

“How many national borders do you have to cross to drive from Oslo to Hong Kong?”.

(For the correct answer please send an SAE and £10 admin fee to Tedsson, c/o ARRSE, ARRSE Towers, London.)

Last edited:

Niamac

GCM

“How many national borders do you have to cross to get from Oslo to Hong Kong?”.

(For the correct answer please send an SAE and £10 admin fee to Tedsson, c/o ARRSE, ARRSE Towers, London.)
Two, you sail.

Three - Norway - Russia - China - HK

Maybe two, depending on wether China - HK counts as a "National Border"

Either way, it's a long drive. Best take some sarnies.

Edited for acuracy
I once drove from the Kuwaiti border to the Jordan border through Saudi Arabia without a map. There again, there was only one road which straddled the pipeline.............still managed to get lost albeit a mere 100 metres from my destination.

I know it’s considered bad form to quote yourself but I thought an actual example might be of interest.

I often walk on the Calder & Hebble Navigation/River Calder.

View attachment 444987

It all seems pretty much rural nowadays (which is what makes it a nice walk) but it was long ago and then it wasn’t. It was a hive of heavy industry, smoke and soot. All gone.

1. The mineral railway bridge over the Navigation has gone (as has the railway)
2. The colliery has gone.
3. The railway line has gone.
4. Ditto
5. The station has gone.

Without a map you might assume there was never anything there and it had always been agricultural land.

A lot of the factories/mills still exist but they all seem to be car places now and for some strange reason bed/mattress warehouses (I have never seen so many bed places in my life). The street names often reflect the heritage (Engine Lane, Forge Lane, Industrial Street etc).
What you’ve just described is a modern (and possibly easier to understand) version of the conversation I have regularly with clients about why they need to do archaeological work. “But it’s just fields” is often touted, and countered with a description of what might be lurking beneath, and why we think so.

Niamac

GCM
Surely if you sailed (non-stop) it would only be one. Get on a boat in Oslo and cross into PRC at the end of the voyage.
Yes I thought that as well but to avoid the pedants who count number of Customs/Migration posts one has to go through I felt that two would stop any argument. It's a daft question anyway.

What's next?

There are plenty of map based posers up the thread (the questions, not the people).

Things like “which is the farthest east - the eastern or the western end of the Panama Canal”.

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero

“How many national borders do you have to cross to drive from Oslo to Hong Kong?”.
Two; by land.

(Well, that was the answer Jeremy Paxman* accepted)

* Bamber Gascigne walt.

Yeah. That’s where I heard it. At least Bimbo Gasburn was impartial. Paxo loves to sneer at the redbrick universities. He loves to go “maximum disdain face”.

I got it wrong as I went south and was counting the European countries and the Stans. Being a Spod I did check it on a map and it is indeed 2 if you go north then east.

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero
You're right; he has that really sneery face when they get an answer obviously wrong. But if you don't know the answer you might as well guess. He'll never be Bamber, though.

Latest Threads