Brief Thoughts On Maps

Perhaps unsurprisingly for the Beeb much of that article was, shall we say, bollocks.

The origin of the OS, it's first projects, was about mapping Scotland in response to the Jacobite rebellion. Nothing to do with the French at all.
A good general history of the origins of the OS is referred to here:
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/brief-thoughts-on-maps.215999/page-9#post-5854225
The review quoted is well worth reading.

The book is available on Amazon:

That is a good read.

I have a spare review copy if anyone wants it. If you do then PM me.

Purple_Flash

ADC
Perhaps unsurprisingly for the Beeb much of that article was, shall we say, bollocks.

The origin of the OS, it's first projects, was about mapping Scotland in response to the Jacobite rebellion. Nothing to do with the French at all.
Ahem. The military survey of parts of Ireland for the Plantation are even earlier.
Homepage of The Down Survey Project

That is a good read.

I have a spare review copy if anyone wants it. If you do then PM me.
Rats just caught up with this thread ... I ordered a copy from Amazon yesterday which has now been shipped .... but I think I shall have yet another interesting book to read as the nights draw in .

Not paper maps but this stuff was produced by drones used for post fire survey in Paradise.
There is an accompanying LinkedIn article but you have to be logged in to see it.
The guy who advised on it says data was moved by courier from the site to the offices where the data was processed. Its not clear whether it was because it was simply that "sneakernet" was quicker of whether there was no Internet to hand.
I can post the URL if anyone is really interested.

Story Map Series

EDIT

Hangar 360 photos from around the world.

A 360 degree photo. A few houses seem to be intact here and there, the mature trees don't seem to be particlarly affected but some of the degree of loss is apparent.

Question.
Looking at Google Maps. West of Tan Hill on Stanmore.
Dozens and dozens of symmetrical shapes, ony ideas.
Grouse butts, drainage, peat digging or alians.
I've not been up that way in many a long year.

CFB

Attachments

Also creates lots of lovely little bog flushes, populated with sphagnum, cotton grasses and invertebrates so of significant food value for grouse chicks.

It’s been frustrating to hear the anti shooting brigade harping on about drainage over the past couple of years, fact is that most of the drains were installed under Government grants to improve marginal land for sheep production, nothing to do with shooting whatsoever, and the grip blocking efforts have been going on, led by the shooting community, for over twenty years, spearheaded by a gamekeeper in upper Teesdale called Lyndsay Waddle who was backed by the Raby estates and GWCT if I remember rightly

Agreed. Don't know about the CO2, but I've seen this - little dams built in the gullies to stop erosion of the peat. They're also meant to silt up a bit and reduce the depth of the channels.
Wet bog preserves any vegetation that is submerged in it (the mosses and so on) as the water is acid and has little oxygen and I think may actually promote growth of that vegetation. Any CO2 absorbed in the process of vegetation growing is therefore trapped. Drained bog decomposes and releases CO2.

I bunged this in the self taken pictures thread but thought it might fit better here. My satnav is going senile.

BE2951EA-8C7C-413E-A259-8AD79CF8DFE3.jpeg

I wanted to see how long it would take me to get from Leicester to West Yorkshire (rather than how to do the journey).

How on Earth the blue route is viable is a mystery beyond my ken.

Even if the M1 was closed the obvious route would be that new road from Leicester to Newark to the A1M then norf.

Weird.

I bunged this in the self taken pictures thread but thought it might fit better here. My satnav is going senile.

View attachment 375638

I wanted to see how long it would take me to get from Leicester to West Yorkshire (rather than how to do the journey).

Even if the M1 was closed the obvious route would be that new road from Leicester to Newark to the A1M then norf.

Weird.
Sat Nav doesn't like the snow?

View attachment 375638

Weird.
Were any of the avoidance options switched on?

No. I just expected it to give me the three options which would involve the M1 for the main part with a few minor options at either end.

I guess it felt constrained by its internal logic to provide the odd daft option.

Not quite “ Holy thread resurrection “ but maybe a challenge to the few ARRSE members who took part in the Manchester University Encryption Competition a few years ago .
I see a new £50 is to be issued ~2022 …

2019 AT 50 Note.jpg

2019 AT 50 Note 0101.jpg

Unsurprisingly within the artwork there is a message relating to Alan Turing’s birth date …. apparently the code reads … 23 June 1912 . However if each character , including the space character , is an 8 digit Binary equivalent “ c’est impossible “ with the string of 1’s and 0’s on the note …. possible solutions on a Post Card sent care of the Crown Inn , Shenley Brook End .

Last edited:

Latest Threads