Brief Thoughts On Maps

So that's how Erik the Viking found Greenland from Iceland. There's me thinking it was ace lodestone skills,intrepid endeavour and gritted teeth in the face of north Atlantic storms, but he couldn't miss.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
There was an article in my paper this morning about an Italian who writes about wine and makes maps of wine making regions. It reminded me that I have a German Wine Atlas; two typical pages are attached. It also contains a wealth of information, wine specific and general touring information

WineAtlas18.jpg
WineAtlas19.jpg

There was an article in my paper this morning about an Italian who writes about wine and makes maps of wine making regions. It reminded me that I have a German Wine Atlas; two typical pages are attached. It also contains a wealth of information, wine specific and general touring information

View attachment 346781View attachment 346782
A few years back there'd have been blokes looking at that map going, "Been there, been there, flattened that."

View attachment 346781View attachment 346782
Ooh, nice maps.

Reminds me of the World Atlas Of Wine by Hugh Johnson & Jancis Robinson.

It used to be the Times Atlas Of wine, which I had in dead tree format, but the Times bit has been dropped. I got the eformat new edition.

It is more a celebration of maps than wines.

A few examples:

Similar to yours:
4AA108AB-A311-43BF-B706-CB001C610E42.jpeg

Showing the elevations and geology of the vineyards:
55BDED16-08D6-4AA2-983C-4CC1191968B2.jpeg

An excellent book for anyone with a love for bottled sunshine and maps!

feu_de_joie

War Hero
Yes much the same. You used to be able (probably can still do) walking tours through the Moselle and have your baggage transferred from hotel/gasthof to hotel/gasthof leaving you with just a dysack to carry. Something I fancied doing but never got round to

Anyone wondering what to buy the average cartophile for Christmas could do worse than give them a personalised map centred on them.

We hope you've enjoyed a fantastic summer and gained plenty of lifelong memories. To remember your special moments, there's no better souvenir than a printed map. For one week only, you can get 20% off wall maps or canvas prints of your favourite location.​

Use discount code: WALLENVY​

I think this is the URL:

Custom Made personalised OS Map | Ordnance Survey Shop

The framed one is the best part of £200 which seems a bit steep but you could just get the map and frame it yourself or get a shop to do it for a few quid.

There is 15% off everything at the Ordnance Survey at the moment. Including their outdoors stuff.

Also September 30th is National Get Outside day. Loads of organised walks, some with what appear to be celebrities.

Part of it is 4 places military buffs must explore. These seem to be:
  • The Palmerston Forts on the Isle of Wight
  • RAF Hethel in Norfolk
  • Ashley Range in the New Forest
  • The Martello Towers, Dymchurch, Kent.
None of them are what you might call central.

Anyway, there might be something nearby of interest.

Getoutside.Ordnancesurvey.co.uk

Found a couple of maps by accident whilst looking for something else.

This is a stylised map of Liverpool’s MerseyRail network. It’s not massively stylised and more or less reflects the real geographical layout of the stations. The lines have just been straightened out a bit.

A610B8B0-02B2-4F9B-9ACD-EA75B50EC6BC.jpeg

This is a rather clever redrawing of the network and is obviously very heavily stylised.

28BF7DD1-7855-4B6A-BBFD-3464D5330B4A.jpeg

It’s geographically useless (and took a few major liberties with the River Mersey) but is excellent for getting from station to station. Which is its function. Plus it looks cool.

Someone asked me how to explain how so many people experience time slippage in Bold Street in Liverpool (mostly involving going back to the 1950s briefly). Bold Street is roughly in the green circle in the middle of the second map. My initial reaction was that there was nothing to explain. It was up to the claimants to provide irrefutable evidence that it happened rather than very similar vague anecdotes.

Anyway I did read some rubbish about it. One person posted the second map and claimed that the time slippage/vortex/wottevva was caused by the electricity pumping around the spiral rail network. This was swooped on by the cartographically illiterate (?) as the obvious reason for the time anomalies.

Right up to the point where somebody pointed out that it wasn’t a reflection of the real world.

Collapse of stout party.

20180524_215009_resized_1.jpg

My favourite restaurant in Walthamstowe has this on the wall

View attachment 354902

My favourite restaurant in Walthamstowe has this on the wall
The best I can translate that is “The Cork Sniffers Railway Stations”.

I have drunk my way along a goodly number of those lines. From Gigondas in the SE, up to Gewürztraminer in the NE and over to the Loire Valley in the West. Happy daze.

On the subject of fFrog railway maps this is the older version of the Paris Metro and suburban railway lines.

FA9470B4-454D-4F40-9346-4A6672D9EC0C.jpeg

Frankly (French/frankly geddit? No. **** off then) I think it’s a bit of a mess.

This is the newer version.
C3BD52A7-F89C-45CE-A791-6EBF6B908E03.png

I’m not convinced it is an improvement.

The Seine does badly in both maps.

Shetland map box ban comes into force

The Islands (Scotland) Bill has been amended to require the islands to be "displayed in a manner that accurately and proportionately represents their geographical location in relation to the rest of Scotland"

So the Shetlands will no longer be floating off the east coast like this

In future maps of Scotland will include the 227 km of sea between the islands and John o'Groats :D

Shetland map box ban comes into force

The Islands (Scotland) Bill has been amended to require the islands to be "displayed in a manner that accurately and proportionately represents their geographical location in relation to the rest of Scotland"

So the Shetlands will no longer be floating off the east coast like this

In future maps of Scotland will include the 227 km of sea between the islands and John o'Groats :D
What a load of old pony. Scotland must be flourishing if this is all the assembly has to worry about.

Anyone looking at a map will know the inset is for cartographic reasons and is not exactly designed to diss the Shetlanders.

Imagine a Septic arguing that Alaska, Hawaii and PR have to be geographically accurately represented in maps of America.

OS better stock up on blue ink.

Or why not put in an insert of Scotland and the Shetlands showing the true geography.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
in 1841 fire swept through the Grand Storehouse, threatening both the Crown Jewels and the OS's records and instruments.

Happily, the treasure and the mapping equipment were both saved but the fire prompted the department's move to a new headquarters in an empty former barrack building in Southampton.
Until they built houses on the edge of this Southampton site, the 19th Century RHQ building and regimental square (car park) were obvious. I hope the RHQ building is listed and survives, but I'd have to visit a Southampton estate now to find out. Shuddet.

OS have moved from a mile away on one side of me to a mile away on the other side.

lert

LE
Just come across this short report on the history of the OS on the Beeb ... also contains a couple of interesting photographs ...

The peculiar history of the Ordnance Survey
Perhaps unsurprisingly for the Beeb much of that article was, shall we say, bollocks.

The origin of the OS, it's first projects, was about mapping Scotland in response to the Jacobite rebellion. Nothing to do with the French at all.

Perhaps unsurprisingly for the Beeb much of that article was, shall we say, bollocks.

The origin of the OS, it's first projects, was about mapping Scotland in response to the Jacobite rebellion. Nothing to do with the French at all.
I recently bought three Landranger Series Maps offering the feature of digital download to my Mob Tel / Tablet .... covering the areas I normally walk in Northumberland ... when looking how to set this functionality up I came across this website which seems a good , in house , potted history of OS .... Our history .... and some concern as to what was happening in France in the mid to late 18c may have had some influence in this mapping work being expedited to include the South coast of England .

lert

LE
I recently bought three Landranger Series Maps offering the feature of digital download to my Mob Tel / Tablet .... covering the areas I normally walk in Northumberland ... when looking how to set this functionality up I came across this website which seems a good , in house , potted history of OS .... Our history .... and some concern as to what was happening in France in the mid to late 18c may have had some influence in this mapping work being expedited to include the South coast of England .
Yeah, yeah I was just taking umbrage with the BBC glossing over the actual beginnings of the OS. It's the same as the bedwetting nancy boys who don't sing the sixth verse of the National Anthem.

Latest Threads