Bridging Course

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Shortfinals, May 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I’m after some info on this Bridging course thingy!!!!!!! Anybody done it yet? And how did they find it? 8O
  2. SF,

Firstly, I assume you qualify?

Qualifying criteria >To qualify for credits under the military accreditation scheme, a QSP(H) must have a minimum 2000 total flying hours on military aircraft. Additionally, 1500 hrs must be as First Pilot/P1 of military helicopters with the remainder comprising a maximum of 500 hrs under supervision/dual, as P2 or in a flight simulator. QSP(H)s who have recently left MOD employment are eligible to claim credits for a period of 12 months from their last day of Service. All helicopter pilots will be required to undertake a Rotary Bridging Course to qualify for a common set of JAA exam exemptions.

More info from;
    LASORS 2005 from the CAA website. (page 199 has the flow diagram)
    Ask in your unit.

3. Yea i fortunately qualify.............. I am up on the critera but i was wondering if there was any feed back on people who have done the course?
  4. Hopefully this is easy to follow;

5. I've seen the flow chart.................... I was wondering about the course content? From anybody who has done it, and what they thought of it!
  6. SF,

I would suggest talking to those who have done it recently. I did mine with Bristol, although there are now others that do the whole bridging course.

The course itself, leading to the bridging exam and the CAA exams (Ops & Air Law) at the end, are straight forward enough, you just have to be prepared to put the hours in and study.

As far as course content is concerned, look at the tgda website.

Good luck,

7. Ok thanks i thought it was about time i got the licence in my back pocket!!!!!
  8. Just a little reminder of a thread I posted a while ago which may be of interest to anyone reading this one:

Is there anyone out there who needs to do an MCC course and would prefer to do it on a jet type? Like many of you I am exempt MCC, but would like to do the jet course in any case to improve my chances of a first time jet job on something like an A320 or B757.

At the moment I am looking at Jetlinx or Parc Aviation in about July to November.

Drop me a line,

9. Good morning!!! This is your wake up call!
  10. I've dragged this thread out again and given it a dusting off in case anyone is leaving and considering doing an MCC Course after their Bridging Course and IR.

I applied for and was granted an MCC Co-operation [sic] Course Compliance With JAR-FCL 1.250/2.250 Certificate on 5 Jan 2005. The certificate was granted by the CAA in recognition of the fact that I had over 500 hours Multi-Pilot operations as a Gazelle Flight Crew Member. It should be noted that the CAA does not recognise Solo, Dual, Crewman or 'With Crewman' time for this certificate - it strictly refers to and is granted for two Pilot operations. More information at the CAA Website ( ).

As a Gazelle pilot I have never flown in a Flight Simulator and so felt it would be beneficial to do an MCC Course in spite of having an exemption certificate.

I selected Jetlinx Flight Training ( ) and completed the training on the Boeing 757 Flight Simulator in the BA Cranebank facility at Heathrow.

The instruction I received was first rate. All instructors were highly qualified, sympathetic and very knowledgeable. Whenever we had finished training before the end of the simulator slot we were given the opportunity for some general handling practice.

My training was partially funded by Enhanced Learning Credits. Jetlinx are very familiar with the system and administrated the payments efficiently and promptly.

I can recommend the training and the company without reservation to anyone who is considering taking a similar course of action on leaving the Army.

11. After my previous submission to this forum I received a pm from a former AAC pilot insinuating that, as an army Gazelle pilot, I was largely unemployable. I must admit that I was saddened by his attitude as I had always thought that we, as a Corps, were very selective about the people we train, that we set the highest standards and are very competent at the job we do.

For those of you considering the bridging course at the moment I can tell you that the skills you have developed as an army pilot are highly sought after outside. I have had numerous offers of interviews and have attended an interview for a major UK company operating a mixed fleet of Airbus and Boeing types. I'll let you know how it went, not to boost my own ego, but to reassure you that, when the time is right there will be a job for you. In the mean time don't rush to get out. Army pilot's salaries are good and the flying is the best!

Good luck to all of you. Gary Gazelle.
  12. Shouldn't a 'Bridging Course' be run by the Royal Engineers?

I'll get my coat :oops:
  13. NASA are looking for Shuttle pilots!! British Airways have a shuttle too because my clever mate says he flies the shuttle from Scotland to London....

14. Gazelle,

Was it me?

I can only assume that if it wasn't, by the sounds of your post, the attitude you refer to is a bit of a reality check and nothing vindictive. Contrary to popular belief, we are still friendly on the other side of the fence here and are more than happy to help those still serving gain their licence and beyond.

Did the pm you recieved mentioned the 500 hrs twin time generally required for Police/HEMS type work?
    Of course as a gazelle only person, that would limit you and would have nothing to do with anyones attitudes or the like. The Corps are highly selective, as you say and do set high standards, but if you don't meet the basic requirements of the job then the chances of getting it are therefore reduced, no matter how competent you may be. Markets do ebb and flo and should the market dictate it, employers will take on whoever is available. So to be told you are unemployable is a bit much in reality.

I for one would be interested to know how you managed to get an (A) license from being a QSP(H) and only doing the bridging course and an MCC course.

Lasors 2005 tell me;

QSPs should also note that the CAA makes a distinction between pilots who initially qualify on fixed-wing aircraft (QSP (A)), and those who initially qualify on helicopters (QSP (H)). A QSP (H) will not qualify for credits under Section D3 unless he has subsequently undertaken a formal conversion to a fixed-wing type and completed a tour on that type e.g. QFI training and subsequent Instructor tour, or Army Islander conversion and operational tour. A QSP (H) who undertakes a fixed-wing conversion on an AEF, is NOT considered to be a QSP (A) and will NOT be eligible for credits under Section D3. Details of credits against CPL (A) requirements for a QSP (H) can be found in Section D1.2D..

From the tgda site;

9. A proposal made by the MOD to allow read-across from military helicopter theoretical credits to ATPL(A) credits has been turned down by the CAA pending ongoing consultation among JAA member states on the implementation of such (civilian) bridging arrangements. However, the credits negotiated through the military accreditation scheme are at ATPL(H) level and it is therefore anticipated that Service pilots wishing to secure an aeroplane licence will, in due course, be able to take advantage of any civil 'helicopter-to-aeroplane' bridging arrangements.

I can't find any details anywhere gazelle, please let us all know, you may have some competition!!!