Bridges built by Sapper’s in Bosnia - Op Loadstar

If I recall correctly, that was the year our lazy sappers floated a pontoon bridge across the Sava for those showing up late to the party...

chimera

LE
There certainly is or was an RE-built bridge in Mostar. The rebuilt original isn't for vehicle traffic anyway.

61 Sqn/36 Engr Regt built the Mostar Bailey in Oct/Nov 94. CO was the "Prince of Darkness" R***** B****.

Last edited:
There's a Bailey Bridge at Thetford (or at least there was)

We did many an attack over it.

And, it's still going strong.
I remember You could hear vehicles crossing it from literally miles away at night time if the air was still. It normally meant you were going to get bumped an hour later!

chimera

LE

chimera

LE
61 Sqn/36 Engr Regt built the Mostar Bailey in Oct/Nov 94. CO was the "Prince of Darkness" R***** B****.

And IIRC bays kept being added on as 9 Sqn were doing a four span in Rwanda at the same time, and both wanted to claim "the longest Bailey built on ops since Korea" or some such thing.

I do recall one which, whilst handy was a PITA for us tank transporters as we had to unload before the bridge, cross, then reload on the other side to ensure we were still in gauge.
The location escape me, but it may have been on the route to one of the more remote RA locations who's name I can quite remember.
I may have some pics somewhere of us doing this.

This was exactly the problem the cloggies had with the steel truss bridge on Route Mario. Till they cut off the sway bracing. 24 hours later the bridge was in the gap with a recovery truck on top of it!

Bit of a thread drift, but came across this one in Kent, by Lullingstone Roman Villa, a while back. Pic from Google Maps.

Capture.JPG

Ronnie Biggs?

If the Avon is as high downstream as it is here, then Bravo and Charlie Crossing Bailey Bridges are going to be a bit sporty. I sometimes fish underneath the bravo one and it’s in a pretty ropy condition...

POM_HERO

Old-Salt
Folks, I am ex 77AES support troop and I have fond memories of building a Bailey bridge somewhere in Bosnia in early 96. I cannot for life of me remember where we built it but I do remember we built it in freezing rain that left a layer of ice on everything it hit. We had to smash the ice to get the pins in and if you stood still for more than a minute it would freeze on us. Anyone know where it could be? I plan on visiting next year and it would be great to add it on my tour of places that stood out on my various tours of the country.

It was also a high octane start as we went in expecting trouble from the Serb’s on the other bank and took up aggressive positions along the bank facing off against them. They also had mines laid on the other bank until we got halfway across, they took some persuasion if I recall from a platoon of Czech infantry to remove them.

There was also a night club just around the corner that a couple of us visited during our “sleep” break, even had a dance with a full chest rig on and SA80 strapped to our backs.

Necro post…. But wasn’t that Bos Novi?

The same bridge where the OC (who spoke Serbo Croat) walked across the partially completed bridge to tell the Serbs to lift the AT mines they were in the process of laying on the far bank!