Brian Hanrahan Dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pronto_Mike_Uniform, Dec 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No more counting for Brian.
  2. That is very sad news. I wonder if he was well enough to count the Harriers out - for the very last time.

He was a very good chap. He spent a few days with the battalion once, and I taught him how to tie a bow-tie.
  3. Ironic that the Harriers go last week and to top it all my pic of a harrier in Afghan is on the front page of arrse!!
  4. Apparently he wanted to see the Harriers off but had to cancel last minute as the cancer was making him too unwell to go and see them.
  5. Thanks for that 'Pronto'. Just 'phoned my old CO who had not heard. He became good friends with BH.

BBC report that he counted 'RAF' Harriers; a handful of gallant RAF pilots, but that 'force' was Royal Navy.
  6. That is very sad.

Be a touching send off if one could do a flypast at his funeral.
  7. A widely respected journalist and I will miss his intelligent analysis of world events and prescience. I have just heard his colleague, Robert Fox, being interviewed on The World at One. He described Hanrahan's cool professionalism during the Falklands conflict and pointedly remarked that he didn't possess a big ego like 'some' on the scene. I wonder which single-handed liberator of Port Stanley he could possibly have had in mind?
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Well they made sure that he wasn't forgotten:

BBC - Press Office - Tributes paid to Brian Hanrahan

A rather nice touch!
  9. He'll be missed, a good and in my view fair reporter
  10. He always reminded me of 'The Day Today' where 'Brian O'Hanrahanrahan' was always humiliated by Chris Morris live on air. :)
  11. I did like his lugubrious delivery which was the opposite of American news hype. Appeared to weigh his syllables before adding together.
  12. Top bloke...... bumped into him a couple of times in the early 80s
  13. I think that the ultimate tribute would be for a harrier flypast at his funeral, that news report he produced from the falklands was an example of the gentleman journalist that he was.

I worked with Brian on several occasions and he was the nicest and least cynical journalist that I knew. I remember him being very quiet when on the Falklands 25th tour in Stanley when a young dizzy matelot asked him if he had been to the Falklands before, then he broke with the biggest grin,