Brian Hanrahan Dies

That is very sad news. I wonder if he was well enough to count the Harriers out - for the very last time.

He was a very good chap. He spent a few days with the battalion once, and I taught him how to tie a bow-tie.

That is very sad news. I wonder if he was well enough to count the Harriers out - for the very last time.

He was a very good chap. He spent a few days with the battalion once, and I taught him how to tie a bow-tie.
Apparently he wanted to see the Harriers off but had to cancel last minute as the cancer was making him too unwell to go and see them.

Apparently he wanted to see the Harriers off but had to cancel last minute as the cancer was making him too unwell to go and see them.
Thanks for that 'Pronto'. Just 'phoned my old CO who had not heard. He became good friends with BH.

BBC report that he counted 'RAF' Harriers; a handful of gallant RAF pilots, but that 'force' was Royal Navy.

A widely respected journalist and I will miss his intelligent analysis of world events and prescience. I have just heard his colleague, Robert Fox, being interviewed on The World at One. He described Hanrahan's cool professionalism during the Falklands conflict and pointedly remarked that he didn't possess a big ego like 'some' on the scene. I wonder which single-handed liberator of Port Stanley he could possibly have had in mind?

A widely respected journalist and I will miss his intelligent analysis of world events and prescience. I have just heard his colleague, Robert Fox, being interviewed on The World at One. He described Hanrahan's cool professionalism during the Falklands conflict and pointedly remarked that he didn't possess a big ego like 'some' on the scene. I wonder which single-handed liberator of Port Stanley he could possibly have had in mind?
I did like his lugubrious delivery which was the opposite of American news hype. Appeared to weigh his syllables before adding together.

A

armadillo

I think that the ultimate tribute would be for a harrier flypast at his funeral, that news report he produced from the falklands was an example of the gentleman journalist that he was.

I worked with Brian on several occasions and he was the nicest and least cynical journalist that I knew. I remember him being very quiet when on the Falklands 25th tour in Stanley when a young dizzy matelot asked him if he had been to the Falklands before, then he broke with the biggest grin,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
owee OTC and ACF 29
B OTC and ACF 6
P The Training Wing 33