Brian Clough Dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by canteen_cowboy, Sep 20, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County manager Brian Clough has died in hospital at the age of 69.

A hospital spokeswoman said the European Cup winner had been suffering from stomach cancer.

He had members of his family at his bedside.

A spokeswoman for Derby City Hospital said that the manager, dubbed Old Big `Ed, had had a long battle with alcoholism.

During his remarkable career, Clough won back-to-back European Cups with Forest, two League Championships with both Forest and Derby, as well as four League Cups, earning himself a position at the top table of Britain's greatest club managers.

Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson said: "On behalf of the FA, I would like to express my deepest sadness at the passing away of Brian Clough.

"Brian was not only a unique figure in the game but one of the most successful managers that we have ever known. We will be miss his company, his character and his insight.

"This is a great loss to football, but we will always remember his considerable contribution to the game in this country.

"Our thoughts and sympathy are with Brian's family at this time."

Former Forest star Garry Birtles said: "We thought he was indestructible."

Birtles, who played under Clough at Forest between 1978 and 1980, said he was called by Brian's son, Nigel, earlier today, confirming he had died.

"When I heard, it was just like a bolt from the blue," Birtles said.

"He was upset, I was upset and it's just been a major shock. When somebody like Brian Clough dies, it's hard to put in words how you feel about it.

"It's like a member of your own family dying.

"He's probably the greatest manager of all time and it's so sad, not just for Forest supporters, ex-players, but for football in general."

Another former player, Duncan McKenzie, said of Clough: "We thought he was immortal.

"I will always be grateful for what he did for me."
  2. zeb

RiP Brian [​IMG]
  3. Brian, a true character who will be dearly missed. RIP.
  4. top bloke, never got the praise he deserved.