Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brexit Transition “Maintaining Germany Residency” with GB Passport.

964ST

War Hero
So just for Info on my original post,
Telephoned the German AusländerBehörde this morning and the very friendly official (Honestly!) informed me that Brits that were previously registered in Germany should have been notified automatically with the paperwork necessary to renew the Document required.
Mine had mistakenly not been processed and that they would rectify the situation as soon as possible. Even the famous „German Efficiency“ reputation can have flaws, so if you are a Brit working in Germany and like me you have not been notified yet, just give your local „Bürgerservice“ a ring! (I will probably receive a Whopper, chips and a cola!)

Telephoned the German AusländerBehörde this morning and the very friendly official (Honestly!) informed me that Brits that were previously registered in Germany should have been notified automatically with the paperwork necessary to renew the Document required.
Mine had mistakenly not been processed and that they would rectify the situation as soon as possible. Even the famous „German Efficiency“ reputation can have flaws, so if you are a Brit working in Germany and like me you have not been notified yet, just give your local „Bürgerservice“ a ring! (I will probably receive a Whopper, chips and a cola!)
You vil be processed in your turn!

padme

War Hero
Probably has flaws because a lot of them were working from home , trying to wrestle some schoolwork our of their crotchgobblins.
Husband started the process of dual citizenship in 2018 and got it in 2019, as he needs to be a member of the European Union to do his job. Doesn't regret it , would have regretted it if he had to choose between a good paying job or his nationality.

964ST

War Hero
I have No Chance of „Dual Nationality“, I have no Sprogs. And! To be honest I am Scottish? WHY!? Would I have to pretend to be German?
(I have NEVER chosen the easy path, EVER!)

I have No Chance of „Dual Nationality“, I have no Sprogs. And! To be honest I am Scottish? WHY!? Would I have to pretend to be German?

An Irish grandparent might help - if you really felt the need.

WALT

LE

I think the sprogs bit is irrelevant. You either meet the criteria or you don't. At the time, it was possible for a EU citizen to apply for dual nationality so I did. I presume Padme's husband used the same legislation. It was a bit of a loophole that is now, unfortunately, closed to British citizens.
It was the easiest solution for me, but had I not found it, I would have applied for the right to remain as I'm sure you will; it's not a big deal, just a bit more paperwork.
I have found myself having to explain to under 40s that people managed to live and work in other countries before the benevolent EU came into being and the UK's departure is not the end of the world as we know it.

And here is the now unavailable for Brits law:-

Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz (StAG)
§ 12

(2) Von der Voraussetzung des § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 4 wird ferner abgesehen, wenn der Ausländer die Staatsangehörigkeit eines anderen Mitgliedstaates der Europäischen Union oder der Schweiz besitzt.

Rough translation:- You can have dual nationality when you are an EU or Swiss national.

PS:- Oooh! My 1,000th post. And it's sensible. I've let the side down, haven't I?

I thought about taking out German ciitizenship, but declined as I would have had to surrender my Canadian Passport, which isn't going to happen. Other than having the vote in local and EU elections, along with going through the fast lane at Immigration, nothing is going to change for me.

Albeit having to line up with the ******* Russians and the rest of the Ostpack in the airport is gong to piss me off something fierce.

964ST

War Hero
I thought about taking out German ciitizenship, but declined as I would have had to surrender my Canadian Passport, which isn't going to happen. Other than having the vote in local and EU elections, along with going through the fast lane at Immigration, nothing is going to change for me.

Albeit having to line up with the ******* Russians and the rest of the Ostpack in the airport is gong to piss me off something fierce.
That is very good point! It’s going to be a nightmare going through airports with my missus (who is Germanlander). Already had a taste in Turkey whilst on Holiday, l did not realize that Brits at that time had to buy some stoopid visa thing and stand in a different line at immigration, my missus was through in minutes ( I took longer!!)

That is very good point! It’s going to be a nightmare going through airports with my missus (who is Germanlander). Already had a taste in Turkey whilst on Holiday, l did not realize that Brits at that time had to buy some stoopid visa thing and stand in a different line at immigration, my missus was through in minutes ( I took longer!!)
#becauseBREXITgrrr

WALT

LE
#becauseBREXITgrrr

Now, now. We're just discussing the practical effects on us expats.
Funnily enough, I did have some boxheads ask me why the British voted out in 2016 (God - was it that long ago?).
"Because they're pissed off with the EU."
"Ah ok, I guess that's understandable- we're not entirely chuffed ourselves."

They got me there as well. Fortunately I used my Brit passport to get the visa, which cost me 10 pounds or so, if I had used my Canadian passport, it would have been $100 CDN. Not certain of the logic there.

WALT

LE
Slightly off subject, Doesn't this mean all EU passport holders who are UK citizenship and legal resident status now have to obtain a UK passport?

www.www.grammarly.com

Eh? No one "needs" to obtain a UK passport. An EU citizen living in the UK will have to apply for the right to remain, just as a British citizen has to apply for the right to remain in the EU. The belief is that this will be automatic for those already in place. For individuals wanting to relocate from now on, is a different matter....
All this talk of dual nationalities is only a disscussion of the weird and wonderful ways that we have found as a solution to our problems.

DAS

War Hero
Already had a taste in Turkey whilst on Holiday, l did not realize that Brits at that time had to buy some stoopid visa thing and stand in a different line at immigration, my missus was through in minutes ( I took longer!!)
That's been a thing since like forever. Remember going on holiday (>30 yrs) there when still in UK and financee (now wife). She paid I think £5 while UK passport holders paid £10

Latest Threads