Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brexit Transition “Maintaining Germany Residency” with GB Passport.

964ST

War Hero
Been checking How Brexit might affect (and new requirements) me as Brit living and working in Germany. Up till now GB Passport Holders would have been working living with the Authorisation under the EU rule “Bescheinigung gemäß § 5 FreizügG/EU” basically the recognition of your EU status.

on Gov.UK i found this:-

[Get a residence document​

If you are legally resident in Germany by 31 December 2020, you should obtain a new residence document (Aufenthaltsdokument-GB). To get this document you must report your residence to your local Foreigners Authority (usually called Ausländerbehörde) by 30 June 2021.

Your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement will not be affected if you do not meet the deadline. However, we recommend that you obtain your new card as soon as possible.

You will need a valid UK passport in order to obtain your residence document. Find out how to renew your UK passport from Germany.

There are over 600 Foreigners Authorities issuing residence documents throughout Germany, so processes may differ from town to town. Some Foreigners Authorities have already set up a reporting process for UK nationals, whilst others are not taking any action yet. In some areas, Foreigners Authorities have written to UK nationals. If you have received a letter, you should follow its instructions.

You should contact your local Foreigners Authority to find out how to obtain your residence document. You can also check links listed on this page to see if your Foreigners Authority has published guidance for UK nationals.

If you have contacted your local Foreigners Authority but have not yet received a response, it is likely that you will get one in the next few months.]

I will contact my local “AusländerBehörde” for confirmation when they are available.

Been checking How Brexit might affect (and new requirements) me as Brit living and working in Germany. Up till now GB Passport Holders would have been working living with the Authorisation under the EU rule “Bescheinigung gemäß § 5 FreizügG/EU” basically the recognition of your EU status.

If you are legally resident in Germany by 31 December 2020, you should obtain a new residence document (Aufenthaltsdokument-GB). To get this document you must report your residence to your local Foreigners Authority (usually called Ausländerbehörde) by 30 June 2021.

Your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement will not be affected if you do not meet the deadline. However, we recommend that you obtain your new card as soon as possible.

You will need a valid UK passport in order to obtain your residence document. Find out how to renew your UK passport from Germany.

There are over 600 Foreigners Authorities issuing residence documents throughout Germany, so processes may differ from town to town. Some Foreigners Authorities have already set up a reporting process for UK nationals, whilst others are not taking any action yet. In some areas, Foreigners Authorities have written to UK nationals. If you have received a letter, you should follow its instructions.

You should contact your local Foreigners Authority to find out how to obtain your residence document. You can also check links listed on this page to see if your Foreigners Authority has published guidance for UK nationals.

If you have contacted your local Foreigners Authority but have not yet received a response, it is likely that you will get one in the next few months.]

I will contact my local “AusländerBehörde” for confirmation when they are available.

Just be careful when they wish you ‘good luck’ after you present your papers...

To get this document you must report your residence to your local Foreigners Authority (usually called Ausländerbehörde) by 30 June 2021.

Could you imagine the epic meltdowns, outrage and squealing that would occur if the UK set up a Foreigners Authority...

JB

Could you imagine the epic meltdowns, outrage and squealing that would occur if the UK set up a Foreigners Authority...

JB

We have one, UKBA or whatever the relevant bit is called now has reporting centres around the country that some people have to check into periodically.

JB
There used to be one in Holborn, called the "Aliens Registration Office."
In the current climate I cannot ever see that name coming back.

(All done locally in France at the Prefecture by civvies, takes about 15 mins online I am told.)

We have one, UKBA or whatever the relevant bit is called now has reporting centres around the country that some people have to check into periodically.

I am aware of UK Visas and Immigration which has taken over from UKBA, but we haven't named it the Aliens Registration Office or Foreigners Authority, which was the point I was making...

JB

964ST

War Hero
I am aware of UK Visas and Immigration which has taken over from UKBA, but we haven't named it the Aliens Registration Office or Foreigners Authority, which was the point I was making...

JB
The simple Fact is, I AM a Foreigner ”Ausländer” in Germany. I have NO issues with the name.
Germans’ tend by their language “to be fairly direct and literal”, (they tend to Pigeon-hole things like qualifications/ names of official Amts’ etc. and if you are a square peg in there round-holed system it can be a challenge!)

My choice to live here, therefore I just have “work at it!”.

My original post was submitted to maybe enlighten , other Members that are in a similar situation (if they were not aware?).

WALT

LE
It's a shame you didn't mention this a bit earlier. I looked into this a lot earlier and found an obscure law that allowed dual nationality for EU passport holders ( I have mentioned it on here a couple of times previously ). As a rule the boxheads aren't keen on dual nationalities. They want their citizens to be committed to their nationality, which is understandable, but I'm buggered if I want to apply for a visa to visit my folks.
Anyway, last year I applied for German citizenship, and, after a couple of tests, got it, without relinquishing my UK citizenship. Only just squeaked through in time though, thank you Mrs May for making such a pig's ear of it!
Sorry, a bit late for you, but just thought I'd chuck in my experience.

964ST

War Hero
It's a shame you didn't mention this a bit earlier. I looked into this a lot earlier and found an obscure law that allowed dual nationality for EU passport holders ( I have mentioned it on here a couple of times previously ). As a rule the boxheads aren't keen on dual nationalities. They want their citizens to be committed to their nationality, which is understandable, but I'm buggered if I want to apply for a visa to visit my folks.
Anyway, last year I applied for German citizenship, and, after a couple of tests, got it, without relinquishing my UK citizenship. Only just squeaked through in time though, thank you Mrs May for making such a pig's ear of it!
Sorry, a bit late for you, but just thought I'd chuck in my experience.
Have you a German wife and kids? Just for retrospective interest.

WALT

LE
Have you a German wife and kids? Just for retrospective interest.

Not married (it was an emergency option but thank God, not necessary!) but do have a daughter who is at this moment 100% German.
Funnily enough, at the application, the woman in the Auslander behorde asked if I had children. I responded honestly, which was just as well , as she gave me her birthday, which she had on the file on her computer. Turns out it was a bit of an honesty test as the state knows all! She did add, with a bit of a chuckle, how some applicants attempt to lie, without success.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think anyone wishing to emigrate or return (ie choosing not to work or pay taxes here) to the independent United Kingdom, should pass a simple test of having to swim the channel; ie you have that determination, you can then sit the language and British Citizen test, then show you have sufficient means to fund yourself and have a firm job offer, and be welcomed with open arms.

964ST

War Hero
I would have done the “Bürgertest” but as a Scotsman I could not lie about the question :- wether I liked a “Big Mac or Not”

not exactly hard if you have the answers, unless you are non-EU

Based on the experience of a friend, the Foreigners Authority office in a certain town in Bavaria was significantly slower in handling her file than the Foreigners Authority office in Munster.

Last edited:

964ST

War Hero
I think anyone wishing to emigrate or return (ie choosing not to work or pay taxes here) to the independent United Kingdom, should pass a simple test of having to swim the channel; ie you have that determination, you can then sit the language and British Citizen test, then show you have sufficient means to fund yourself and have a firm job offer, and be welcomed with open arms.
If this chap was alive then I am positive he would fulfill your requirements.
1609096338976.jpeg

It might have taken a while and circumnavigating the British Isles in a clockwise swimming pattern for weeks but eventually he would have reached his goal!

WALT

LE
Based on the experience of a friend, the Foreigners Authority office in a certain town in Bavaria significantly slower in handling her file than the Foreigners Authority office in Munster.

The recent events regarding Angela's "guests" have changed things in Germany. The authorities are a lot less accommodating. I am absolutely sure this is not official, but on an individual basis, depending on the views of the involved official.
Me, I'm horrifically white, so I have found them to be quite understanding and pleasant. I am also quite enthusiastic and keen to fit in, so maybe I'm doing them a disservice.
A couple of years back, we had a girl from California staying with us while she went through her application. Her family was from the Jewish diaspora that felt obliged to depart in the early '30s, so under German law, as a descendant, she had an automatic right to citizenship. She did get it, but unlike myself she had no requirement to learn German. Rather telling was the comment she received with her citizenship; "You don't speak German yet? You'd better learn it. Quickly."
Another chap I knew was from Uruguay. Admittedly, he did overstay his visa, but up until the migrant problem, he didn't have a huge difficulty with the Auslanderbehorde. After the migrant problem things changed. He received no more slack from the authorities (he was of a slightly darker hue than a Scandinavian). At his last meting he was invited in for a "chat" about extending his visa. On arrival, his passport was removed and he was informed that it would be returned in the airport, prior to departing on a plane bound for Uruguay. He was given a month to arrange this.

Latest Threads