Brexit - The Final

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
One hopes that the Brexit party points out that it's candidates have achieved a measure of success out in the real world, unlike a large swathe of the current Westminster MP's.

Two of the candidates appear to be rather suntanned. This can't be - we keep getting told Brexit voters and Brexit supporting parties are inherently racist.

Wordsmith
Theresienstadt?

Personally i hope they change the name to something less 'single issue'.

they might be able to take on the red-blue main stays then.
I pointed that out to them prior to the party's launch.

We don't just need a party for Brexit but also for the long haul, as the two current contenders are demonstrably unfit for purpose.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

I suspect it will change soon. But it's a good name to have on the ballot paper for the European elections - it makes it clear exactly where to put your 'X' for a protest vote.

Wordsmith

More bollox.

‘How did you vote on Brexit?' is crucial question to ask on first date, say psychologists

Personally, I've always thought "your place or mine" is a far better question on a first date....

Wordsmith :twisted:
I once had a chubby blonde lass - on a blind date - tell me that she was going to Greece on holiday. She flicked her hair back and said "Greek men love blonde women".

I'd just been watching Jo Brand the night before so I said "Well you ought to go to Turkey instead; they like them fat there!"

She looked horrified.

Is Mr Farage's new fantasy more enticing than his previous one?
UKIP - an authentic vehicle for the anti-establishment right, but missing farages star quality.
The Brexit Party - Or the real(provisional wing) tory party, beyond Brexit has nothing to offer the people.

Politics has torpedoed UKIP for now, I myself will vote for farage this time around as a protest, but I think he's kidding himself he can take it any further forward after this year.

Bagl0ck

On ROPS
On ROPs

It's almost like they're a single issue party for the unthinking man

Bagl0ck

On ROPS
On ROPs
Brexiters getting all worked up for the European elections which will make bugger all difference and result in a similar proportion of anti EU MEPs from the UK.

The brexit party vote will predictably collapse to around 10% afterwards in any general election.

The suggestion that the brexit party will be anything else but a single issue party for the hard of thinking is very amusing to watch. Echoes of Oddbod trying to claim that UKIP would be a full spectrum political party back a few years ago.

Ahahahaa

Thought this was an interesting read - a few names popped into my head whilst reading this.

Have Remainers lost perspective? - UnHerd
Loved this and sums up much of the attitude in the polarising west:

The irony is that liberal catastrophisers engage in exactly the same behaviour that they associate with populists and Right-wing extremists; they overgeneralise; they label others; they engage in Manichean ‘good-versus-bad’ dichotomous thinking; they lose perspective; and they become obsessed with apocalyptic-style scenarios.

Rather than assessing things rationally, and engaging with those who hold different points of view, they cling to comfort blankets, such as catastrophising, distancing and emotional reasoning.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
UKIP - an authentic vehicle for the anti-establishment right, but missing farages star quality.
The Brexit Party - Or the real(provisional wing) tory party, beyond Brexit has nothing to offer the people.

Politics has torpedoed UKIP for now, I myself will vote for farage this time around as a protest, but I think he's kidding himself he can take it any further forward after this year.
The (PR) Euro elections are Nige's big chance to shine.

In a FPTP GE Nige won't get many/maybe any seats but as a protest vote may reverse the polarity in a number of marginals in a way that won't have been foreseen.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw. If the established parties collapse, even partially, at the next GE then the Brexit Party may just be in a position to step in and offer an alternative.

I think though that both Tory and Labour will be happy just to see the EU and local elections done and dusted, give the mob a chance to vent their spleen then at the GE in 2022 they will be back to normal jogging.

I think there may be some mileage in this but Brexit has to be dealt with before the established Parties are let off the hook.

Bagl0ck

On ROPS
On ROPs
Loved this and sums up much of the attitude in the polarising west:

The irony is that liberal catastrophisers engage in exactly the same behaviour that they associate with populists and Right-wing extremists; they overgeneralise; they label others; they engage in Manichean ‘good-versus-bad’ dichotomous thinking; they lose perspective; and they become obsessed with apocalyptic-style scenarios.

Rather than assessing things rationally, and engaging with those who hold different points of view, they cling to comfort blankets, such as catastrophising, distancing and emotional reasoning.
By catastrophising you mean listening to the experts?

Government, business and academics are almost unanimous that brexit is a disaster for the country.

However, like climate change deniers, the emotionally driven will not listen