Brexit - The Final

More idiocy from May.

Brexit latest news: Theresa May accuses Labour of dragging its feet in compromise talks as Jeremy Corbyn says PM is still refusing to budge

Does she not realise that not delivering Brexit is causing huge political damage to the Tories and Labour are perfectly happy to leave May dangling and for the damage to continue? Even her own ministers realise it.

Theresa May told by Cabinet ministers to dump talks with Labour and sort out her Brexit deal

It's now utterly clear that May doesn't have the faintest idea of how to deliver Brexit and that her only ambition is to cling to office as long as possible.

It's also clear that senior ministers in the party are devoid of leadership qualities. The cabinet could force her out by resigning en masse. They lack the balls to so so.

This sorry saga will now stagger on until May 2nd - and the predictable decimation of Tory councilors. How did a once great party come to this?

Wordsmith
You did this by campaigning for and voting for an obviously undeliverable **** fantasy.

This was always going to tear apart the conservative party

If leaving the EU is an undeliverable **** fantasy.

Does this not suggest that the EU is actually twice removed from Democracy and is more akin to a Dictatorship ?
Undeliverable as in beneficial to the UK

I don't think it is partisan... Nobody denies the other parties are equally two-faced, but on this issue the tories are streets ahead of the others. Even the labour party, who have hedged towards a soft brexit have generally being consistent on that point and nobody can believe labour wants a real brexit.. Does anyone really understand the conservative party leadership and their backers and want they want ?
Follow the money is the answer. But hey that’s a comfort, the other parties are equally two faced. Do me the favour and remind us why we are following A50 because it’s a legal requirement within the Lisbon treaty, that Gordon Brown signed. That alone but linked to Juncker’s nonsensical preconditions accepted on the hoof by Cameron . I have tried to point out that access To the single market is open to anyone prepared to pay the tariffs for the goods in question. Already being in the the single market, isn’t free, that what we pay the EU for. It’s therefore a trade off, that’s the trade aspect. The other part is the level to which independent action is curtailed by unelected grandees. Parliament has suddenly coined the term “ meaningful” . The Antithesis is of course meaningless, which at this moment in time Parliament is.

You [Wordsmith] did this by campaigning for and voting for an obviously undeliverable **** fantasy.

This was always going to tear apart the conservative party
Are you saying that @Wordsmith is entirely and solely responsible for the mess that is Brexit?

Oi Wordsmith you bastard...

Follow the money is the answer. But hey that’s a comfort, the other parties are equally two faced. Do me the favour and remind us why we are following A50 because it’s a legal requirement within the Lisbon treaty, that Gordon Brown signed. That alone but linked to Juncker’s nonsensical preconditions accepted on the hoof by Cameron . I have tried to point out that access To the single market is open to anyone prepared to pay the tariffs for the goods in question. Already being in the the single market, isn’t free, that what we pay the EU for. It’s therefore a trade off, that’s the trade aspect. The other part is the level to which independent action is curtailed by unelected grandees. Parliament has suddenly coined the term “ meaningful” . The Antithesis is of course meaningless, which at this moment in time Parliament is.
We are already subjects of international law, as well as EU citizens. The EU have written up its own laws within that international framework and as such, I suspect most lawyers and judges here, will always lean towards abiding by those commitments. Even to the extent of misinterperating the law, so long as its something noble and for those higher principles.... Your on a losing wicket to think common sense can be applied to the law.

And lied through is teeth at every oppurtunity to try and influence the result.
Probably the most dishonest member of the Remain campaign there was

]
Osborne was certainly parroting the Civil Service (particularly the Treasury's) doom and gloom forecasts. Whether he had the intellectual smarts to realise that it was all a crock of shit is debatable.

Which in the short term was sensible. Where Gideon went horribly wrong was with Project Fear, when instead he should have concentrated on pointing out the present and future benefits of remaining in the EU, with the UK's five to ten year forecast for engagement with Brussels.

It should also have been delivered in straightforward, layman's terms, shorn of threat or emotion. As I have said before, there are arguments to remain in the EU, but the UK Government needed to stand up and play its part in Brussels properly. In many ways, the referendum result reflected years of the UK Government using Brussels as a convenient scapegoat for unpopular policies, rather than anything the EU had actually done.
I did say that worst case scenario was wrong at the time. "Project Fear" is a straight lift from the SNP independence referendum counter to the negative impacts of independence BTW. A good label in propaganda terms as it's effective.

I've also said the Cameron failed to engage with Brussels. His use of the veto was bad politics for internal consumption as well.

More idiocy from May.

Brexit latest news: Theresa May accuses Labour of dragging its feet in compromise talks as Jeremy Corbyn says PM is still refusing to budge

Does she not realise that not delivering Brexit is causing huge political damage to the Tories and Labour are perfectly happy to leave May dangling and for the damage to continue? Even her own ministers realise it.

Theresa May told by Cabinet ministers to dump talks with Labour and sort out her Brexit deal

It's now utterly clear that May doesn't have the faintest idea of how to deliver Brexit and that her only ambition is to cling to office as long as possible.

It's also clear that senior ministers in the party are devoid of leadership qualities. The cabinet could force her out by resigning en masse. They lack the balls to so so.

This sorry saga will now stagger on until May 2nd - and the predictable decimation of Tory councilors. How did a once great party come to this?

Wordsmith
You remember voting for this? Encouraging others to vote for it? Cheering on her selection? Cheering on A50 being invoked before we had a plan? Cheering on her early election call?

Some short memories around here.

And lied through is teeth at every oppurtunity to try and influence the result.
Probably the most dishonest member of the Remain campaign there was

]
What lies are these? I'll give you a clue, the fragrant Penelope saying we couldn't veto Turkish accession was a lie.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
The "Project Fear" - made up by the Leave campaign, lets call it the negative messaging - came about because of the messaging from Leave.EU which was out and out lies or distortions of the truth. Which, bizarrely, matched the Russian Info Ops Campaign start and the very targeted use of social media to influence voter blocks to Putins desire.

Once the dust settles the read out of how the Russians used the Referendum as their test bed for the US elections will make for interesting reading. Some people will not come out of it well.

The "Project Fear" - made up by the Leave campaign, lets call it the negative messaging - came about because of the messaging from Leave.EU which was out and out lies or distortions of the truth. Which, bizarrely, matched the Russian Info Ops Campaign start and the very targeted use of social media to influence voter blocks to Putins desire.

Once the dust settles the read out of how the Russians used the Referendum as their test bed for the US elections will make for interesting reading. Some people will not come out of it well.
There is some drivel posted on this site, but that has got to be the biggest load of utter cack yet.

It makes baggy & her alter egos appear cerebral.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
There must have been folk that had made their minds up before the vote was even announced.
We have had the argument for the referendum since Brown was PM, if that doesn't polarise folk then nothing the Russians may or may not have done will change anything!
Emporer's new clothes!

Do any of the esteemed members of this most important corner of the tinterwebby know in which year the UK will leave the EU?

Asking for a comrade.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I think mot people consume the bulk of their news though the mainstream media - which screens out the worst of the fake news. In addition, both sides pumped out 'fake news' during the referendum campaign, which I suspect tended to cancel out.

As such, I think fake news has far less influence on politics than is often claimed.

Wordsmith

Typo corrected...

Last edited: