Brexit - The Final

Wakey, wakey. If you have not paid attention to Energy Security in the last 5 years, I would suggest reading up on North American Unconventional plays & the use of Fracking to exploit them.

TL-DR: The US will be a net exporter of Hydrocarbons by 2020, so no longer needs to prop up the ME. Who said Fracking didn't have fringe benefits?
The United States is expected to export more energy than it imports by 2020 - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
......and Germany has no oil shale, so it's gone down the renewables route. Different roads, same destination.

......and Germany has no oil shale, so it's gone down the renewables route. Different roads, same destination.
Very slowly down the renewables route...
France and Germany Turn to Coal
Germany-Electricity-768x398.png

Some progress being made
Coal in Germany
coal_exit_graph_coalcommission2019.jpg

but still making some else rich...
As of December 2018, Germany doesn’t have any domestic hard coal mining left. Instead, coal is imported from Russia (35%), the United States (18%), Australia (13%) and Columbia (11%), followed by Poland, Canada and South Africa
And still richer...
Germany's 2019 hard coal imports seen rising after mining ends - Reuters

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Corbyn and Labour are pandering to the young middle class student euro fan
Expect a scrapping of uni fees and a remain / second referendum stance 5 minutes after a G.E is called
It is a truism that oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them. The Tories currently seem to be giving a masterclass on just how to do that.

I expect reality to strike on May 2nd when their vote collapses in the local elections.

Wordsmith

I'm afraid that is really old. Marxists have more in common with Russia, Harold certainly did. The French will cultivate both to undermine Britain. The Russians love the French they have a revolution in common. The Americans love the French, they also have a revolution in common.

I don’t think you grasp how hard it would be to unfuck things if JC got in. Whilst the U.K. bickers itself into oblivion, we will have to figure out how to do things without you. Or just go with the French who will gladly take your places...
Er, Labour already caused the unfuck as you put it, by signing Lisbon and inserting A 50 which the process has followed. But I seriously think that we should be imposing a sequestration or on Labour, so that they can never afford the funding to be able be a party ever again. I mean Billions!

It is a truism that oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them. The Tories currently seem to be giving a masterclass on just how to do that.

I expect reality to strike on May 2nd when their vote collapses in the local elections.

Wordsmith
The recent polling strongly suggests the tories will lose a shed of votes, but I don't detect any passion in the public for what corbyn is selling either. My instincts are that people are simply very confused and I think we will see wildly different results between local and european votes, that reflect that confusion.

My conviction is corbyn may well be dim about this stuff, but those around him know very well that barely hanging onto the labour vote is simply not enough to win a GE.. They need a twin track of a new eye catching list of promises and to be part of dealing with the brexit conundrum and I suspect a second referendum i.e. the Labour delivered vote on the new soft brexit deal, or no deal will be something to look forward too after October.

Scots and Welsh nationalism is of course based on racism. I'm not sure I understand how the English didn't do something but the Victorians did.
Thats always the point isn't it.
Remind me who created the Act of Union- The Scots
Remind me who influenced a rather gullible German King about Scotland?
all subtle under tones I agree, but the mentality is set.
You only have to look at Germany now, Bavarian not Prussian in mentality

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The recent polling strongly suggests the tories will lose a shed of votes, but I don't detect any passion in the public for what corbyn is selling either. My instincts are that people are simply very confused and I think we will see wildly different results between local and european votes, that reflect that confusion.
The best bet for the Tories would now to make an attempt to put a 'no deal' Brexit through parliament. It'll be stopped by the opposition plus a few hard core remain Tories, but it would bring a lot of Brexit supporting Tories back on board, shore up their core support, put clear blue water between them and the other parties and possibly force a few concession out of Brussels in case a second attempt succeeded.

I doubt they've got the brains or the balls to do that.

Wordsmith

Frankly rubbish, and highly selective rubbish at that. The 1.Hittites were fighting the Egyptians a thousand years before the Romans came along as just one of a vast list of examples I could give you. Unless you'd like to suggest other reasons for wars that aren't exactly those that explain modern racism.

2.I'm not interested in the semantics of racism versus culturalism I'm intersted in a) the idea that you can tar a whole race/culture based on the failing of a few of it's members [the claim the all immigrants are bad because of a very small over representation in the prison population*] b) The innacurate claim made that immigrants cost the country money.

Like you I dislike all intolerant theocractic systems, but I don't claim that all immigrants are bad because they belong to one of them. You have generalised here that a large part of the Muslim community is intolerant and dangerous to western values.
3.Setting aside the idea that the claim we have "Western values" would be hard to substantiate, largely becaue it's a massive generalisation, what evidence do you have to support this proposition.

* Its also worth considering that 4-5% of the UK prison population are ex military, who represent less than 2 % of the total population inclusing veterans, so if you want use this brush be prepared to paint yourself black to match.
mpercentage of mlilitary/ex military in UK jails - Google Search
1. People fought other people over land etc. Race was not an issue. The Ancient Greeks tried to make it so but failed.
2. I never claimed that all immigrants are bad, they are not.
3. Western values which have grown over the last few centuries of religious, racial and sexual tolerance are pretty substantial. It was the West that outlawed certain African from enslaving other Africans for sale to whoever wanted them after the trade had been in existence for 3.5 thousand years.
The bit about vets in gaol is an irrelevance.
As I said before you only argue in generalities because that increasingly appears to be all you know.
I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Last edited:
1. People fought other people over land etc. Race was not an issue. The Ancient greeks tried to make it so but failed.
2. I never claimed that all immigrants are bad, they are not.
3. Western values which have grown over the last few centuries of religious, racial and sexual tolerance are pretty substantial. It was the West that outlawed certain African from enslaving other Africans for sale to whoever wanted them after the trade had been in existence for 3.5 thousand years.
If you wanted to explore the core of this, we are talking about the first people to abandon hunter gatherer and switch to pastoral farming and lock in a piece of ground as mine..... History is replete with examples of settled communities coming under either armed assault from hunter gatherers OR peaceful coexistence on the principles of trust and building connections through marriage and such like.

Modern world where the wealthy are no longer dependent on earning their corn from the land. So they really don't care and immigration as a subject is not really an issue for anyone above a certain pay grade.