Brexit - The Final

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It is a great pity that UKIP has gone all BNP/EDL as if they had carried on as they did under Farage there would be a decent group outside Westminster chivvying this along!

What is blindingly obvious is we need a decent protest party to really hold the major parties to task.

Exactly. Newsnight though are mentioning that there is a growing feeling in the Tory Party that she stands down now.
And whoever takes over has the same choices and the same Parliament:

No deal hard Brexit - Rejected by MPs
Extension - supported by MPs
The WA - rejected by MPs
No Brexit - don’t think they have voted on that yet

The Option in the referendum was leave the European Union but didn’t say eg stay in CU, EEA or EFTA

All are options that mean you can leave the EU
More slime. The government and all the leading figures said that leaving the EU meant leaving the SM and CU.

Do we really have to re-fight the referendum?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Option in the referendum was leave the European Union but didn’t say eg stay in CU, EEA or EFTA

I predict that next week the WA will be voted down again and an endless extension will be put in place i.e. we will never leave the EU.

I don't think the country is that far away from civil disobedience.

I predict that next week the WA will be voted down again and an endless extension will be put in place i.e. we will never leave the EU.

I don't think the country is that far away from civil disobedience.
Which will require a majority in the Commons!

Indeed. Then in stepped Barnier in Gollum mode and insisted for 2 years all he was interested in was his Precious.

No forty billion and backstop handcuffs, no discussion on any future relationship.

So they can delay as long as they like, no WA, no trade deal soft or hard unless Barnier climbs down.

SWJ99

War Hero
I noticed there's a solicitor (Robin Tilbrook) of the 'English Democrats', planning to apply for a judicial review regarding the legality of not leaving on the 29th, on the basis that he argues that the govt doesn't have any authority to delay. He's quoting the Gina Miller case etc.

Robin Tilbrook: LAWYER STARTS CASE TO BLOCK EXTENSION TO ARTICLE 50 NOTICE.

I see the logic on what he's saying there, but isn't it at odds with May's plans to delay the exit date by way of an SI ?

"Power to amend the definition of 'exit day'

14A statutory instrument containing regulations under section 20(4) may not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament."
European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018

and

20 (4)A Minister of the Crown may by regulations—

(a) amend the definition of “exit day” in subsection (1) to ensure that the day and time specified in the definition are the day and time that the Treaties are to cease to apply to the United Kingdom, and

(b) amend subsection (2) in consequence of any such amendment.
European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018

Personally I don't want Brexit - but I don't want the results of the referendum overturned unless the population agree to it, either by; a second vote now people have bear witness to the demons they unleashed; or a Brexit-lite where we still retain a close relationship with the Single Market (like many of the Brexiteers were advocating before the vote) would suit me.
Serious question........can you set out exactly what these "demons" are?

Record employment, near record low interest rates, wages rising faster than inflation, record FDI, solid relative GDP growth.......frankly, it's a central banker's wet dream.

Serious question........can you set out exactly what these "demons" are?

Record employment, near record low interest rates, wages rising faster than inflation, record FDI, solid relative GDP growth.......frankly, it's a central banker's wet dream.
True but a car company said they aren't going to make a diesel model the EU are committed to tax out of existence so, er, doomed, surely?

True but a car company said they aren't going to make a diesel model the EU are committed to tax out of existence so, er, doomed, surely?
Curiously, I just bought my wife a Discovery HSE Exec........in diesel. But then I'm sitting in Australia. Brand new car at a lower cost than I'd pay for the same in central London, all despite very high import tariffs.

Latest Threads