Brexit - The Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic!.... Cummings has changed British democracy as he said he would. Even the yanks will be shocked by the dishonest manner that power was acquired. The cod minds swam into the net as the strategy demanded. 17.4 million mongs leapt at the tiny slogan. Now the buffoon will find his boat full of a huge wriggling catch, all gasping for brexit. The smell of dead fish will be on his hands as he drifts toward the crushing waterfalls of chaos. :cool:
Sweet

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Which bit was the funniest? Your incredibly accurate forecast of a ‘hung parliament or a small majority for Boris’, your mate Grieve being thrown out on his Arrse or your quivering bottom lip as the ‘panto’ suddenly took a turn towards reality?
The on-going panto, obvs.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yet apparently "nobody would profit from Brexit" how odd.
We haven't left yet. Give it a couple of months and people will be complaining about Johnson's insufficiently Brexitty Brexit.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
We haven't left yet. Give it a couple of months and people will be complaining about Johnson's insufficiently Brexitty Brexit.
Ah yes, of course, I've heard of bluffing on a bad hand, I've never seen anyone trying to do it with no cards in their hand before, so well done you

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ah yes, of course, I've heard of bluffing on a bad hand, I've never seen anyone trying to do it with no cards in their hand before, so well done you
Thanks. Have a nice day.

I‘m sure you said THREE YEARS AGO (and every thirty seconds since) that Brexit was just a fantasy of the delusional and that it would never ever happen.

Now you appear to be saying it will happen. Make up your mind man. With your undoubted forecasting accuracy, I hang on your every word when it comes to what will and what won’t happen.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Ah! Yes playing a bad hand, when all you have is a pair of 2's and then you realise the only thing that beats 5 Aces is a Smith & Wesson (Brazilian Rule)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I‘m sure you said THREE YEARS AGO (and every thirty seconds since) that Brexit was just a fantasy of the delusional and that it would never ever happen.

Now you appear to be saying it will happen. Make up your mind man. With your undoubted forecasting accuracy, I hang on your every word when it comes to what will and what won’t happen.
I've said I can live with a pointless BRINO. What's undeliverable is the fantasy Brexit, simply because there are so many versions of it.

Truxx

LE
“It is from the bystanders (who are in the vast majority) that we receive the propaganda that life is not worth living, that life is drudgery, that the ambitions of youth must he laid aside for a life which is but a painful wait for death. These are the ones who squeeze what excitement they can from life out of the imaginations and experiences of others through books and movies. These are the insignificant and forgotten men who preach conformity because it is all they know. These are the men who dream at night of what could have been, but who wake at dawn to take their places at the now-familiar rut and to merely exist through another day. For them, the romance of life is long dead and they are forced to go through the years on a treadmill, cursing their existence, yet afraid to die because of the unknown which faces them after death. They lacked the only true courage: the kind which enables men to face the unknown regardless of the consequences.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, we are. We have the judiciary in part to ensure that the Government sticks to the laws that Parliament enacts. Furthermore, the judiciary did not overrule a political matter, they declared the rogation unlawful inline with current legislation and Parliamentary custom. Try reading the decision with an open mind. Note also that Supreme Court judges are appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister, who receives recommendations from a selection commission. In other word, those judges are chosen by the people we voted into Parliament to do such jobs, which leads onto ...

On a further note, the Government itself is unelected by the electorate. We elect MPs and the MPs decide who gets to play HMG (formally, it's the Monarch who invites the PM-designate to form a government). Not one of us voted directly for Blair, Thatcher, Brown, Cameron, May or Johnson as PM. I don't recall anybody voting for a Conservative/Lib-Dem coalition, either, or for giving the DUP a say in matters.

As for democracy, look at the table below for the 2005 GE (taken from Wiki). We had a majority Labour Government with a number of seats in markedly different proportion to the number of votes. The top 5 opposition parties, in terms of votes, represented just over 16 million voter who did *not* want a Labour govt compared to the 9.5 million voters who did. I've added the column in red to show what a voter-proportional allocation would have resulted in. The next election resulted in a hung Parliament - the Lib-Dems could have chosen to form a coalition with either Conservative or Labour, but went with the Conservatives.

View attachment 433781
So FPTP is undemocratic?

You are a liberal democrat and I wouldn't claim a fiver off you, you're going to need all you can get.

I've said I can live with a pointless BRINO. What's undeliverable is the fantasy Brexit, simply because there are so many versions of it.
There is exactly one version either you are out or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads