Brexit - The Final

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A yet the whole proceedure/exchange was conducted with a veneer of remarkable politeness and civility!!
The knives were wrapped in velvet!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Joker62 ...still hedging your bets that the UK will "leave" the EU before I leave here?

Mine is in about 2 weeks, while the UK has about 8 days as stated.
To quote my esteemed colleague, "wait and see".

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Labour are fast running out of excuses to further delay to a GE...
They'll find more - sitting at 22% in the opinion polls means they'll lose a lot of seats in a GE. Not least because whatever they do to appease the Remain Labour voters will p!ss off the Leave supporting Labour voters - and vice versa.

Add into the mix that further delay will make Labour's polling position even worse and Magic Grandpa is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Something BoJo won't hesitate to exploit.

Wordsmith

I met a fund manager in one of world's largest investment funds a couple of weeks ago and he and the rest of the fund management team are totally preoccupied with trying to second guess what's going to happen with the US/China bun fight.
Of course they are, it's what they are paid to do given it's what makes markets move.

Why the surprise?

I can see a VONC soon
Possibly, possibly not. As I read it Boris got his second reading but not the committee stage,
so he hasn't lost the Bill. It would be rather difficult to go for a NC vote on that basis. Moreover even if they get an extension, there will be the raging certainty of defeat for Jezza. IMO they won't call for one now and place Bercow in the position of having to veto. It was pointed out to the House yesterday that Timetabling motions were originally a Labour governmental device for their own purposes to ram their legislation through and Bercow had to do a hasty sidestep to avoid "belabouring" the point. As I said before- Macron could now be Boris greatest ally
Labour may think it’s a bad idea to call for a VONC, but there’s a third player here and that’s the SNP.

They have stated on the record that they are ready to call for a VONC and unlike the pathetic posturing from Labour, they really do want a GE.

If there is a sniff that a VONC would be successful, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the call came from the SNP, but certainly not the Labour party, craven point-scoring ditherers that they are.

Also worth noting that on the radio this morning there was a SNP chappie stating they would support a call for a GE, though there were caveats (no chance of ‘no deal’ Brexit, for example).

Simmerit

On ROPS
On ROPs
Of course they are, it's what they are paid to do given it's what makes markets move.

Why the surprise?
No surprise from me. I posted it to give people in the thread some insight into what's going on in the big wide world of finance as not everyone reads the FT - it was an FYI for people so they have some fact to reflect on. There is a notable absence of hard fact!

I had a £3.0m investment collapse in late August which was down to political uncertainty. I'm in the City at the minute and all you get is people shrugging their shoulders. I met a fund manager in one of world's largest investment funds a couple of weeks ago and he and the rest of the fund management team are totally preoccupied with trying to second guess what's going to happen with the US/China bun fight.

Like many businesses, I need to bring a major slug of growth capital into the business to enter to US market. A transatlantic fund was lined up to go to their US investment committee in late October for £10.0m which should have been sprung in two £5.0m tranches - £5.0m in December and the second in May 2020. Not a fcuking chance. Had lunch with the UK team two weeks ago and it was miserable faces all round.

I cant raise money in the US as to to a US raise, you have to be US located or commit to relocate the business. Without UK growth capital to do that, I am stuck. Net impact is a 6 month delay which will significantly impact any competitive advantage we have as a business. I have also had to slow down activity in Europe by 6 months.

Its utterly fcuked. Its nothing to do with EU membership. Its about the inability of the fcukwits in Westminster to make a decision. The position we are in applies to main and secondary market listed businesses. Our corporate legal advisors described the UK as a being seen as a 'high risk' investment location when we were chattering about 4 weeks ago - they are also a transatlantic firm and listed, so its not a little winky wanky corner shop solicitors.

Its utterly fcuked.

Welcome to my world................................

edited to add - in case you are interested, I used to fire mortars for shits and giggles. Moved on a bit since then
All of which is interesting, but I've closed two deals in the past month (well, my employees and partners have)..........both structured debt, one £42mm and the other £18mm (with another £120mm in the pipeline, all cookie-cutter).

Business goes on, and I'm surprised you're struggling. Is your "product" compliance related? As you'll know, there's a big difference between cash availability for deals versus cash available for small business growth.

No surprise from me. I posted it to give people in the thread some insight into what's going on in the big wide world of finance as not everyone reads the FT - it was an FYI for people so they have some fact to reflect on. There is a notable absence of hard fact!
But this is what I'm struggling with.........it's not the big wide world of finance. It's very small cap growth funding, which is always a hard sell.

A friend from AA (with double digit sobriety) shared that on faceache earlier. She's an Irish nurse that zaps cancer via radiotherapy.

I just thought it weird since she's Irish, won't be able to get the short-life isotopes on time once we leave the EU (allegedly), yet she's sharing pro-Brexit propaganda.

Maybe leavers aren't all northern knuckle-dragging gammon?
More grievance manufacturing? You're as bad as any SNP activist in this respect.

I dont believe we have a democracy. Lisbon and Blair finished it.
They keep talking of worker rights, things which may be lost by changing the economic model, our European markets and much beside. What is clear is that parliament does not accept Brexit for what it is, at a fundamental level i.e. complete change for everyone.

Parliament won't accept change of any kind, so any Brexit that passes its muster is not Brexit at all. When you talk of democracy what your talking about is the complete breakdown in our constitution, which can't function without the consent of the people and parliament is running scared from the people ever since the referendum result.

Many of us see the danger of a narrow referendum win for remain and believe it will be terrible for the nation. I established awhile ago that parliament doesn't care about the nation, it cares about itself and maintaining the status quo and a win for remain would probably flip our politics to a permanent state of vicious and from that you get bad parties rising out of those ashes.

Simmerit

On ROPS
On ROPs
All of which is interesting, but I've closed two deals in the past month (well, my employees and partners have)..........both structured debt, one £42mm and the other £18mm (with another £120mm in the pipeline, all cookie-cutter).

Business goes on, and I'm surprised you're struggling. Is your "product" compliance related? As you'll know, there's a big difference between cash availability for deals versus cash available for small business growth.
Money always moves and business trundles on and the City remains awash with cash. The issue relates to the market sector I'm in. That said, my last Chairman is a non exec on three FTSE100s and a Non Exec on a couple of FTSE100 size European businesses and their view is the same as mine - its fcuked. No money moving.

Tusk has stated he will recommend an extension. He has no power to grant one.

Macron is pushing for a "technical extension" of a few days.

There is little appetite for months of delay

Verhofstadt appeared to let slip on twitter last night its going to be a 3 week technical extention

Many of us see the danger of a narrow referendum win for remain and believe it will be terrible for the nation. I established awhile ago that parliament doesn't care about the nation, it cares about itself and maintaining the status quo and a win for remain would probably flip our politics to a permanent state of vicious and from that you get bad parties rising out of those ashes.
The EU is creating the very thing its supposed to bury, a resurgence of proper far right nationalism.

Simmerit

On ROPS
On ROPs
But this is what I'm struggling with.........it's not the big wide world of finance. It's very small cap growth funding, which is always a hard sell.
IPOs down 57% on the main and secondary markets for the first 6 months of the year when compared to H1 2018.

AIM down 87% in the same period - have a look on the LSE web site - they maintain a set of spreadsheets detailing the listings in the markets they run.

Latest Threads