Brexit - The Final

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Boris has no option but to pull the deal last night.

Dominic Grieves Legion D’Honnouer intended to tack on a referendum ammendment that would have effectively killed off Brexit.
He didn't pull it. He paused it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
are you referring to the not bitter and twisted sacked conservatives, whom appear to be not running in the next election, was that before or after they were sacked?
To be absolutely fair most of the top rebels like Letwin, Grieve, Clarke had said they were standing down - their actions would probably been a lot different had they not declared that! The others are the ones who will struggle, Gauke, Stewart, Hammond, Gregg Clark who will want to be allowed back as Tories or they are out.

Fatty Soames has been very very quiet since his bit of drunken bravado and I expect he is spending a lot of time with his local constituency committee to try and save his political neck. If Tory HQ declare the rebels are out, end of, then he is toast, and there are so many bottles of wine still to be drunk in the Palace that he won't be able to get his greasy paws in.

Clarke on breakfast BBC being allowed to speak bolox without challenge! He was saying all they were asking is for a few days to scrutinise the Bill. It is passed the second reading and just needs tim Be to look at it, then he casually dropped in getting rid of the NI border down the Irish Sea; so he is not looking at just scrutinising the Bill and tidying it up, he is looking at completely rewriting the agreed deal. He was trying to make Remain Lok docile and doing what they are for the good of the agreement. Lying barsteward!

What a fecking snake but what a useless waste of space the BBC reporter or rather presenter as no way is he a journalist.

ETA, Dan Walker - couldn't remember his name!
The point is the demarcation line down the Irish sea can't be enforced, moreover there is little point. What Frontex Launch is going to pop up, stop a ferry mid passage in British territorial waters? Opps sorry never saw it. It doesn't need to be ammended, it's totally impractical. How are Frontex staff going to ensure that NI goods only are going to remain in NI? If Irish Customs enter and set up borders the PIRA will shoot at them as a matter of principal. He's not a lying B, here merely highlights the stupidity of people like him who know little of practicalities. Legally enforceable is one thing, doing it is quite another. If the DUP can't see that they deserve each other. And then there's still the little matter of Veradker signing the MOU re the CTA. A border for goods but not people-it's totally Irish.

He will do so next time the Bill returns, and will get a lot of support from the 'I respect the EU referendum result' Labour MPs like Starmer and Thornberry whose task is to delay, confuse, alter but most importantly overturn Art 50 and the EU result. They are lying scum.
Not sure about the Legion d'Honneur actually. The last thing that France wants is UK repealing Article 50 just as the Eurozone goes into recession. In any recession, the aims of France and the Olive Belt are likely to diverge sharply from those of Germany and the North - this could well leave UK in our traditional (and long sought) position of the Kingmaker. Without us, France has a better chance of winning through.

That said, I'm assuming (probably unwisely) that following any repeal of Article 50 the Government would continue to act in Britains interest. Takes me back to my central, unanswered question - to what extent does the Remain lobby in Parliament consist of ardent Federalists and how much power would they wield in that Government? I suppose that one upside of the current shenanigans is that this is going to be progressively exposed. With each obstacle Boris crosses, a smaller, harder core of remainers will withdraw to the next one, exposing their real agenda as they do so.

My bet is still that we will leave with a deal endorsed by Parliament, although that depends on how many opposing the timetable last night genuinely want time to scrutinise it, as opposed to more nefarious aims...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
He didn't pull it. He paused it.
I would not be surprised, in the least, if the traitor Remainers try to get the Bill resubmitted for second reading. This corrupt Speaker would probably allow it.

It was good watching Bercow get abused from the back benches on both sides of the House, being told he is under investigation by a parliamentary committee and being held in contempt by many MPs. He was obviously ready for the attack he knew was coming as he knows he had been biased but he did look taken aback and definitely not chuffed. He had facts and dates to hand so the detailed preparation was obvious. The man is a sh!t.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not sure about the Legion d'Honneur actually. The last thing that France wants is UK repealing Article 50 just as the Eurozone goes into recession. In any recession, the aims of France and the Olive Belt are likely to diverge sharply from those of Germany and the North - this could well leave UK in our traditional (and long sought) position of the Kingmaker. Without us, France has a better chance of winning through.

That said, I'm assuming (probably unwisely) that following any repeal of Article 50 the Government would continue to act in Britains interest. Takes me back to my central, unanswered question - to what extent does the Remain lobby in Parliament consist of ardent Federalists and how much power would they wield in that Government? I suppose that one upside of the current shenanigans is that this is going to be progressively exposed. With each obstacle Boris crosses, a smaller, harder core of remainers will withdraw to the next one, exposing their real agenda as they do so.

My bet is still that we will leave with a deal endorsed by Parliament, although that depends on how many opposing the timetable last night genuinely want time to scrutinise it, as opposed to more nefarious aims...
Re your last paragraph. Ken Clarke this morning said it. They just want the chance to scrutinise the Bill, then casually dropped in, mid sentence, that they would be looking to get rid of the border down the Irish Sea, which would kill and mean renegotiate the deal! All done with a sly smile on his face. Lying Scum!

Does anyone want to join me on the Hokey Cokey Party.
We will have 1 leg in & 1 leg out on Brexit.

Blogg

LE
Johnson has requested a deal. It’s out of his hands now. It’s already been stated they will grant the extension.
Tusk has stated he will recommend an extension. He has no power to grant one.

Macron is pushing for a "technical extension" of a few days.

There is little appetite for months of delay

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Tusk has stated he will recommend an extension. He has no power to grant one.

Macron is pushing for a "technical extension" of a few days.

There is little appetite for months of delay
The EU will give any extension, at any time and for any length of time. The whole period we are in this quagmire the country's trading stance is weakened so their main competitor is kept at bay.

Remember, regardless how many times they are referred to as such, the EU are NOT our friends!

Indeed. But as Greive stated earlier he was aiming for an amendment to ensure a second referendum.

It pains me to say it but currently the EU are playing with a straighter bat than the chimp collective in westminster.

During the lengthy Grieve interview many groups were mentioned, but at no point did he mention the voting public.
Which is why I think that Boris will take the three month 'flextension' supposedly on offer and go for a GE on the grounds that he is trying his level best to get Brexit done but is being stymied at every turn by Parliament. He will also make much of the fact that he has fully complied with the terms of the Benn Act and is now expecting the opposition to do the same and support a GE. Corbyn is in a bit of a pickle here.

Re your last paragraph. Ken Clarke this morning said it. They just want the chance to scrutinise the Bill, then casually dropped in, mid sentence, that they would be looking to get rid of the border down the Irish Sea, which would kill and mean renegotiate the deal! All done with a sly smile on his face. Lying Scum!
It has always been my view that Clarke is an ardent Federalist, who would be happy to see Britain subsumed as a rule-taker in a Federal Europe. To Brussels, that makes him a useful idiot....

I would not be surprised, in the least, if the traitor Remainers try to get the Bill resubmitted for second reading. This corrupt Speaker would probably allow it.

It was good watching Bercow get abused from the back benches on both sides of the House, being told he is under investigation by a parliamentary committee and being held in contempt by many MPs. He was obviously ready for the attack he knew was coming as he knows he had been biased but he did look taken aback and definitely not chuffed. He had facts and dates to hand so the detailed preparation was obvious. The man is a sh!t.
A yet the whole proceedure/exchange was conducted with a veneer of remarkable politeness and civility!!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A yet the whole proceedure/exchange was conducted with a veneer of remarkable politeness and civility!!
The knives were wrapped in velvet!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Joker62 ...still hedging your bets that the UK will "leave" the EU before I leave here?

Mine is in about 2 weeks, while the UK has about 8 days as stated.
To quote my esteemed colleague, "wait and see".

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Labour are fast running out of excuses to further delay to a GE...
They'll find more - sitting at 22% in the opinion polls means they'll lose a lot of seats in a GE. Not least because whatever they do to appease the Remain Labour voters will p!ss off the Leave supporting Labour voters - and vice versa.

Add into the mix that further delay will make Labour's polling position even worse and Magic Grandpa is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Something BoJo won't hesitate to exploit.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads