Brexit - The Final

Only inasfar as it is not altered by later legislation. Still a separate question to the point I was addressing about referenda.
Strangely enough, The House uses the plural form "referendums", rather than the Latin form. To mirror the Assemblies in the other three parts of the UK, and has done for about 150 years ! Just saying like.

Nope.
Adhering to Parliamentary precedent.
Christ on a bike - I voted Remain and even I can see what a biblical scale **** he's being/been.

Anybody like to guess, how many times May's WA came to the floor.........unaltered ?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Strangely enough, The House uses the plural form "referendums", rather than the Latin form. To mirror the Assemblies in the other three parts of the UK, and has done for about 150 years ! Just saying like.
I know. It's my Latin O-level casting a shadow.

I want to be sure I'm not having a senior moment here and to remove any doubt in my mind.

MPs voted for Article 50, to leave the EU. It had no addendum like hard, soft, deal, no deal etc. The default as per A50 is to leave.

MPs have successfully managed to block any and every attempt at a deal, therefore we're at the default A50 state of leaving in 10 days time without one. Is that correct or have I missed something?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I want to be sure I'm not having a senior moment here and to remove any doubt in my mind.

MPs voted for Article 50, to leave the EU. It had no addendum like hard, soft, deal, no deal etc. The default as per A50 is to leave.

MPs have successfully managed to block any and every attempt at a deal, therefore we're at the default A50 state of leaving in 10 days time without one. Is that correct or have I missed something?
You have.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
UK referenda are non-binding. Them's the rules (unless the legislation says otherwise, viz the AV referendum). I struggle to understand why you don't know that fact.
But the Acts which followed the referendum made the result binding.

I struggle to understand why you don't know that fact.

/

You don't say?

How did MPs pass the Benn Act?

The route to passing this legislation involved a three-step process.

1. MPs passed a Standing Order No. 24 motion (an emergency debate motion) on 3 September to take control of the order paper the following day. It included provisions which allowed the bill to go through all Commons stages on 4 September.
  2. Peers voted to timetable the passage of the bill in the House of Lords so that they could pass it on 5 and 6 September.
  3. The bill received Royal Assent on 9 September.
... and?

A bill setting out a simple piece of Parliamentary process really isnt quite as complicated as negotiating our exit from the EU, and all that entails.

U ok hun?

Latest Threads