Brexit - The Final

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The order in which you learn English is a separate issue to how fluent you are.
Surely, to get on in the UK, you need to learn English or how else will you be able to translate for the rest of the family?

You missed some fun, he was stuttering, losing his place and AN gave him no quarter. Great TV!
The follow up interview with the female ER activist, calling herself Neon Lights (ffs!) was a classic. She advocates a 2025 target for achieving zero carbon emissions. Needless to say, AN filleted her like a piece of fish.
Where do these people come from?!

I think you mean ACO. SHAPE is a historical contruct for political purposes. The proper name is ACO. Any way round, SHAPE or ACO, they are both part of NATO.
My error then. It’s just that reporting was done to SHAPE. Possibly because France and French troops were involved.
Point taken.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That would definitely be an exotic language. Trouble is no one in Belgium would understand it as most speak Dutch, French or German. ^^
Pedant!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
No danger of splitting hairs over words. There is no argument over what the SC said. There can be no argument as to whether parliament was recalled or simply resumed by Mr Speaker.

The effect of quashing the Order in Council was that parliament had merely been suspended. You simply need to listen to Mr Speaker for clarity.
OK. The Speaker didn't recall Parliament. He merely called it back.

Easy. Better now?

Lying bastards

The "Alliance Vision" is to sleepwalk middle-class Prods into a fluffy, cuddly United Ireland where former Unionists live in a land of milk and honey.

Shared Future? Take a look at the great whale that is Alliance leader Naomi Long: doesn't look like she shared anything.

If @skid2 is really an Alliance supporter, then he's a ******* disgrace. Alliance are Republicans, and the mask has slipped. Google Anna Lo.
Fat trunks Father, was a Unionist, an Orangeman and a shipyard worker from the working class, who lived 2 mins from my house when I was growing up.

She's a sell out bastard and I hope she has a massive coronary soon..the odds are in my favour, the fat cnut.

@amazing__lobster

Our story today starts here:

amazing__lobster said:
Can you enlighten us as to why I should find a Pakistani who can speak Italian exotic?
I can.
I then posted a few links highlighting the comparative differences in learning different languages.

You then fell a bit quiet.

Then I spotted this today, and decided to have a little fun:

He previously posted that it’s exotic for a Pakistani to speak Italian.
I agreed, that indeed it was rather "exotic".

Then this, with my reply also:

Perhaps people who voted leave to stop immigration and people who voted remain see such things differently

I certainly don't tend to find polyglots unusual or exotic, regardless of their skin colour.
But then that merely highlights your ignorance with regards to linguistics. One could say...unqualified to comment. One wouldn’t have to be a polyglot to be an Italian speaking Pakistani either!

You continued to assert this:

But then that merely highlights your ignorance with regards to linguistics. One could say...unqualified to comment. One wouldn’t have to be a polyglot to be an Italian speaking Pakistani either!
Why ignorance? It’s grounded in racism. Simple as.
I replied:

Really?? Please explain that very wild and bold statement.
It requires explanation!

is it racist when I say in my local shop, in response to “do you need a bag”
“Meeri pas bag heh shukriya” and then have a brief convo in Urdu with my mate Abid who’s serving...and other Asians in the queue are staring, mouths open?

or when I point out a fit bird in the shop in Urdu to Abid, and other Asians in the shop are pretty much gobsmacked? Do I have grounds for complaint, based on some sectors of society finding it slightly unusual I can do that? Where do I stand, I’m feeling more outraged as I type...I’m gonna sue the racist bastards!
And then this little beauty - note the bit in bold (my bold)

Why would I want to moonwalk out of it? A poster who is constantly going on about the failure of multiculturalism describes brown people speaking Italian as exotic.

Do you think he has an intimate understanding of the prevalence rates of multilingualism amongst various populations and what they are likely to speak, or do you think he's just a tad racist. I also suspect he (and some others here) generally find brown people exotic.

Perhaps if you or him had travelled and mixed with people from different cultures a bit more, you'd have met people with brown skin who speak Italian and then meeting one wouldn't strike you as exotic.
You removed that last comment, then put it back in again later it would seem. Forum glitch?

I digress though - here comes the first counter from me to one of your strawmen attempts:

He did not say “brown people” did he? Even if he did, it would not be racist. Had he said “brown people are incapable of speaking Italian, and I they could then...Wow, the brain dead brown fecker must be some exception because brown feckers can only speak flipflop” then you’d maybe have a point.
As it stands though, your comment shows more of your ignorance, and unconscious bias, with your striving to pin some ‘un racist’ credentials to the mast and validate your virtue.
And then we have this pearler: Note my bold :)

And by your own comment, regarding prevalence rates of multilinguism... do you? It would appear not. And do you really want to enter a shitting contest with me over who is most well travelled? Do you really!?
I’ve met plenty of multilingual Indians, so the idea of a brown person speaking a langage other than English doesn’t really strike me as exotic.

And when I’ve done my traveling I’ve also done more than visit ports.
And then... note my bold again :)

Travelling overseas and venturing beyond expat bubbles is exotic now is it? I feel sorry for some of you - backpacking around foreign counties is exotic.

You would had have had a heart attack in Brussels btw. Plenty of Indian grads who had studied their degrees in places like Italy, Poland, Brussels, the UK etc.

You should travel more. Speak to a few of the locals etc etc. Expand that mind of yours. Maybe also look up if being multilingual makes it easier to pick up other langages - then maybe you’ll stop looking down on people from other countries with an air of colonial superiority.

Pants pull down you say?

Which led to...

Travelling overseas and venturing beyond expat bubbles is exotic now is it? I feel sorry for some of you - backpacking around foreign counties is exotic.

You had have had a heart attack in Brussels btw. Plenty of Indian grads who had studied their degrees in places like Italy, Poland, Brussels, the UK etc.
I’m not claiming I’m exotic due to where I have travelled though. You made the assumption I was ignorant because I had not (which you quickly deleted when you realised what you’d said). You then intimated you were a superior ‘traveller’ by virtue of supposing I’d only ever undertaken brief port visits, and that you had conducted more ‘robust’ travelling.
You really need to google how to properly conduct a straw man argument!
A eagerly await your next comment, it’s amusing, although I’m slightly embarrassed for you.

I suggest you withdraw, and find a subject you are qualified to debate in, on a level of debate you are more suited for.

oh btw, I’ve been to Brussels too...caused quite a stir when we docked there

Which led to...

I don’t think I’m a superior traveller. I’ve travelled a lot, and I’ve also met lots of people from different countries too - that’s the difference I think - hence why I’m not surprised when brown people speak more than their native Languages.

Expand your mind a bit more perhaps - speak to people when you visit their country, rather than take the view that you are visiting a zoo. You might surprise yourself.

Then for some reason...you start on about Indians...

Unfortunately for you, you have a few of you comments now quoted, that highlight your lapse in logic. Now you are insinuating I treat other countries like visiting a zoo. Maybe that’s why I’m currently tanning your arse on this subject, with me being able to fall back on empirical knowledge in various aspects regarding international travel and culture.
You are out of your depth. Carry on though...it’s amusing.
I’ve met plenty of people from India who speak European lanagues. They are not exotic. No idea about the organisation you mention; though I would query if those stats apply to people who already speak several languages or not ;-)

And you’re not tanning me on anything- you are showing your small mindedness that you find it shocking to meet an Indian who speaks Italian. It’s simple small mindedness on your part.
And then...

supermatelot said:
@amazing__lobster

let’s revisit your comment that heralded this little exchange

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/brexit-the-final.291401/page-3003#post-9538484
Just for clarity you understand. Wouldn’t want you swerving off the tracks any further.
Yes you find it exotic because you live your life by rigid stereotypes.
Countered by:

amazing__lobster said:
Yes you find it exotic because you live your life by rigid stereotypes.
Please demonstrate where, and show working.
You’ve made some pretty bold assumptions here, using “rigid stereotypes”. On account of you presuming my only cultural exposure has been during “port visits”, on account of my time in the RN, would you not agree you, yourself conform to rigid stereotypes?

I see where others are coming from now when they often cite how you hastily delete various comments you make. Unfortunate- the quote function, isn’t it?
And yes, rather a lot of post-posting / re-adding going on from you during that exchange. Unless my Ipad was only showing me bits of your posts after I'd already quoted them, and then once I mentioned it - they suddenley appeared again? It really is a problem that several others on here seem to have experienced with your posts.
I'd ask a mod if I were you.

Do you still want to know what you were actually trying to argue about btw?

Here is is, Grumpy's post:

For the record: the Finnish speaking Angolan and The Italian speaking Pakistani did not have English as their first and native tongue. Finnish and Italian were their first and native languages.

Both were imigrants to the UK and both were the same class. And there's absolutely nothing exotic about a class with nine different mother tongues and only one poor, lost soul with English as her only language. Nope. Absolutely common as muck, so long as you live in a country called Babel, I'd guess.

Right...

What else do you need explaining?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The only other things I can think of are:

*Ben act taken to supreme court as unlawful as Parliament is subsuming/subverting the role of the Executive in demanding BOJO asks for an extension - only executive can do that NOT parliament therefore unlawful or something like it. - Boris wins

* Ben Act taken to Euro court and or as in conflict with Euro law (cant remember how) therefore Euro law is supreme ( not sure if it is Ben act but might be another one) - Boris Wins

* Parliament force a law to send letter to Euro Commission asking for an extension - could be deemed illegal as only Executive can do that - Boris takes it to court - who knows who wins

*Extension letter sent - Hungary veto's it - Boris wins (as long as Commission doesn't ignore it)

*Extension letter sent - unilaterally agreed - delay till 2022 election - Boris loses

any comments?
Unbelievable....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
He also met with Boris Johnson yesterday, so he saw the PM first, then Speaker.

Old-Salt
A suspended parliament still needs the govt to recall it. One that carries over as though nothing had happened still needs the government to set the programme - all driven over by the SC in exactly the same way as they said Boris did!
I am not really sure what you are actually arguing. I say the Speaker did not recall parliament, the Speaker says he did not recall parliament but you say he did...

[QUOTE=Mr Speaker himself]"In the light of that explicit judgement I have instructed the House authorities to prepare not for the recall - the prorogation was unlawful and is void - but for the resumption of the business of the House of Commons.[/QUOTE]

As there was no prorogation and Parliament was not in recess nor properly adjourned how could there be a recall?

Recall of Parliament Explainer

The order in which a language is learnt has nothing to do with how good you are speaking that language.
Er...you might want to check that also. It can greatly affect how quickly a language is learned.

Oyibo

LE
You missed some fun, he was stuttering, losing his place and AN gave him no quarter. Great TV!
A proper beasting by A Neil:

Thanks for the heads-up

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The follow up interview with the female ER activist, calling herself Neon Lights (ffs!) was a classic. She advocates a 2025 target for achieving zero carbon emissions. Needless to say, AN filleted her like a piece of fish.
Where do these people come from?!
Give the lassie her due, she allowed Brillo to say his piece then jumped back in with the script, and it sounded like a script. Repeat until end of interview!

Oyibo

LE
That would definitely be an exotic language. Trouble is no one in Belgium would understand it as most speak Dutch, Flemish, French or German. ^^
FOC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chuggafugga Brexit 18
Robbo_72 Brexit 50
retread2 Brexit 144

Latest Threads