Brexit - The Final

I think we are in the process of overturning the 'dictatorship of experts'. As things currently stand an individual's vote is worth diddly squat.
That would be the point, I fear. If Leave is overturned, then Mandelson is right. If it stands then you are right. I see the mass disenfranchisement of the population more of a problem than any speed bumps from leaving the EU.

I read that article.
Scary words from Dimitris Avramopoulos, the Greek EU Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship. I guess he wasn't really supposed to say that out loud but it demonstrates what the inner circle really think about the voting public.
"He went on to say that the commission just gets on with things because, as they were unelected, they don't have to worry about things like re-election so "….for us the political cost means nothing". "
Sorry, I didn't read it, I just needed a source for Mandelson's quote, and once I had confirmed he said it it achieved my needed goals. It seemed the least shrill like one I could find on short notice. Glad its come up trumps though!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Looks like fun and we are in for some more entertainment. I wonder if Bercow will be able to stay sober between now and 31 October.

Queens Speech will be interesting.

Looks like fun and we are in for some more entertainment. I wonder if Bercow will be able to stay sober between now and 31 October.

Queens Speech will be interesting.
My take on all this is still that the holy trinity of PMBJ, JRM & Cummings have this covered & whilst PMBJ is still wanting a deal he is quite prepared ho go nuclear & just leave, (as we all actually voted for).

I believe it was @History_Man who suggested come 17th October all will be become clear & the Remaniacs will be shown to have played a blinder.........For leave.

Any bill this rushed will have flaws, I'm sure there are teams over lawyers on both sides trawling through the bill spotting holes & them gaming this holes with possible outcomes. It may well be that this benn bill actually fcuks remain over, which would be nice to say the least.

As for Bercow, I'm willing JRM to verbally destroy the little twerp before the 31st...

I've been on rops.

I have no other accounts
Oh my golly gosh but you'll go straight downstairs when you die for all the fibs you tell!!

Truxx

LE
Something came up in the crew room at work the other morning and, as someone who actually lives in NI, I'll ask for your opinion on this. Apparently, the birth rate over there amongst the Catholic Republicans is much higher than that of everyone else (no real surprises there). Therefore, it won't be too long before the Catholics have more voters when it comes to deciding the way forward in the Province.

Now, I don't know anything about the birth rates in NI so, firstly, is that statement true? Secondly, and more importantly, do you think that it will have such a profound effect for the future there?

Bit provocative maybe but I would be interested to hear your views...
Yes the Catholic birthrate is higher, but I think the past few years it's slowed to a relative parity.

It's the Unionist v Nationalist demographic that matters more and as such I still believe the union is safe as a huge number of Catholics believe they stand to have a more prosperous future within the UK.

Of course a Catholic in a working class Nationalist area in say Belfast, will probably think differently than say a Catholic who lives in Carrickfegus or Bangor. It's those middle class Catholics who will secure the union.

Yes the Catholic birthrate is higher, but I think the past few years it's slowed to a relative parity.

It's the Unionist v Nationalist demographic that matters more and as such I still believe the union is safe as a huge number of Catholics believe they stand to have a more prosperous future within the UK.

Of course a Catholic in a working class Nationalist area in say Belfast, will probably think differently than say a Catholic who lives in Carrickfegus or Bangor. It's those middle class Catholics who will secure the union.
Interesting social development in the entire island of Ireland, as the grip of the Catholic Church decreases and the birth rate drops from families in double digits to the European average of 2 ish, the island will become depopulated and loose an export commodity , people. Same 'revenge of the faithful' in Quebec,
Canada I understand.

Looks like Dominic Grieve is preparing to slither across the House to the Limp (non)Dems.

Dominic Grieve leaves the Beaconsfield Conservative Association’s WhatsApp group…

“Warmest thanks to all for the many years of friendship and support. Farewell, exile beckons.”
I highly suspect the Limp Dems are going to have one hell of an internal fight if Tories continue to be allowed to join them - particularly someone like Dominic Grieve who, when hes not losing his mind in his completely blind and unconditional support of the EU, is a true Tory in all other respects. In addition, all of these turncoats cannot really be trusted to not switch again like chukka - if BoJo were to be replaced by an EU supporter, Grieves and Co would go straight back!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't often agree with Starkey but here I does:

TV historian David Starkey lambasts the establishment as treasonous for negotiating on behalf of the EU, and brands Remoaner ex-Tory Dominic Grieve ‘a lying, deceiving shit’.
Spot on but I doubt BL will agree!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
? Will the RCs in NI see unification as increasingly irrelevant as the RoI becomes more secular, and the historic performance of the RC church in Ireland becomes increasingly discredited as its record of institutionalised paedophilia sinks in a bit more?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't often agree with Starkey but here I does:

TV historian David Starkey lambasts the establishment as treasonous for negotiating on behalf of the EU, and brands Remoaner ex-Tory Dominic Grieve ‘a lying, deceiving shit’.
Starkey lets Grieve down lightly.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I may be confusing him with someone else then but I could have sworn it was him.
Anyway, my mutt is crapping properly now after a bout of unpleasant liquid poo. At least I can pick it up now.
ou are probably confusing him with the uber traitor AC Grayling, both are detestable human beings but they are on different sides of this fence.

I wonder if team Boris instructed the tory HoL to waive it through uncontested because of that?
That's certainly a theory amongst some of the more sensible mainstream tweeters.

Tis a game of high stakes chess, much of which we are not & never will be privy to.

Last edited:
if BoJo were to be replaced by an EU supporter, Grieves and Co would go straight back!
There should be no return and hopefully it won’t be an issue; as Boris will secure a majority at the next GE and with a bit of luck, any of the 21 seeking re-election will be seeking new employment instead.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chuggafugga Brexit 18
Robbo_72 Brexit 50
retread2 Brexit 144