Brexit - The Final

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You didn’t understand the photo.
In what way? I think I understood it perfectly.

Maybe Remainers see things differently in their parallel world!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Lovely that their staff are so enjoying the moment, isn’t it?
Having made just that point you question me? Have you been sipping the cooking sherry again?

Only because they thought that the answer would be stay, witness juncker saying in an interview on the 7 May 2019, that the eu should have interfered more.
"Juncker, who is due to stand down later this year, said respecting then-prime Minister David Cameron’s request that EU chiefs stay quiet in the run-up to the vote, was one of the biggest errors of his time in office.
“It was a mistake not to intervene and not to interfere,” Juncker told reporters in Brussels."
if they had the leave vote would have been bigger! - as demonstrated by the most useless president in us history, obama

Only because they thought that the answer would be stay, witness juncker saying in an interview on the 7 May 2019, that the eu should have interfered more.
"Juncker, who is due to stand down later this year, said respecting then-prime Minister David Cameron’s request that EU chiefs stay quiet in the run-up to the vote, was one of the biggest errors of his time in office.
“It was a mistake not to intervene and not to interfere,” Juncker told reporters in Brussels."
It was a mistake IMO.
In Remain's favour.
If they'd interfered, it would have been at least 60% leave & half the crap being touted would have been shown to be just that.

Everymong is already looking for someone to blame for the current mess and future carnage.... He said this and she said that, they are responsible, not us! Replay crudely edited video clips from years ago …anything to deflect from the bottom line that only fools voted for it. Squirm in your own excrement, bloody mongs.
Isn't there a toilet bowl somewhere you're supposed to be licking clean?

Juncker getting involved would probably have made it 60/40 against staying at the very least, and if he had invoked European co-operation as practiced by Papa Juncker then nearer 70/30.
Much like that bloke that Harry Enfield mentions, and always after the event.

Phew, that's a blessed relief he didn't get involved, what with his credibility, persona and sciatica, he could really have made things awkward for us all.
Praise the Lord.

Lifeboat21

War Hero
Well it is all about the Union isn’t it.
Half of those “Irishmen” don’t consider themselves Irish

Or maybe it was allowing a democratic process to take place without what would be called interference
My reference to the European Union not helping Dave wasn't in relation to their interference.

More their revving him off for any meaningful reform.

Truxx

LE
Interesting comments from Katya Adler on the ten o'clock news - growing acknowledgement from European capitals the no deal looked likely ( although just how many European capitals are represented at the G7...) and growing acknowledgement amongst those same people that regardless of brexi t having the UK alongside the EU was vital if that same institution was to have any influence with the rest of the world.

What's the flash to bang time from declaring the election is on October 17th to Government taking it's place back in charge (whichever side won)
Is it effectively a cunning plan to suspend Parliament?
I.e Boris declares on opening day of Parliament lets have a G.E and asks Her Majesty to dissolve Parliament.
Election Day on Oct 17th then new PM has to set up his Government
New MP's to be sworn in etc
By which time there is no time left to debate, try to negotiate or do anything but no deal Brexit?

Is that the effective threat
He's letting then back themselves into a corner
Challenge him to a vote of no confidence and then as you say to a G.E he may come back stronger
Or even if he lost he's ran the clock down to get what he wants anyway
I know it has been reported that Boris is planning for an election on the 17th October but it has also been reported that a 'senior government official' has denied that it's true.

My take on it is that it would be too risky. I know Boris is currently riding high in the polls but I think we've learnt to take polls with a pinch of salt. Were Boris to hold a GE on 17th Oct and lose it to Labour - it wouldn't be to any other party - then Corbyn would become PM on the 18th, a Friday, and he could straight away appoint a cabinet and immediately on the Monday extend A50. That would give him a week and a half in which to sabotage Brexit.

For that reason I don't believe the 17th is a target date. It is more likely to be after we have left the EU when he can point to having delivered the wishes of the people as per the result of the referendum.

The EU secretariat seems to have been looking at the long term threat - that a UK flourishing outside of the EU will make it more difficult for the Eurocrats to argue that the EU needs more political and financial integration. Made even more difficult for them because they can't discuss the true reason why its needed - the fuster cluck that is the euro.

In the meantime there is a short term problem on the horizon the Eurocrats are ignoring.
  1. Trump has tumbled that the Chinese want to replace the US as the global superpower and they've been at it covertly for decades with unfair trading practices and industrial espionage. Trump is not going to be happy until he's crippled the Chinese economy - which means trade wars are here to stay.
  2. The trade wars have resulting in a weakening of the EU's economies, with its strongest economy (Germany) suffering most as it's export led. Germany will probably be in a technical recession by the next quarter.
  3. Another reason for the weakening is that as Chinese goods are shut out from the US market, they'll increasingly dump them into the European market, hitting domestic production.
  4. Many parts of the EU banking sector haven't recovered from the Lehman crash, with lots of zombie loans on the books. The trade war is set to make even more loans non-performing - with Italy, France and a few other countries looking at future bank collapses.
  5. The ECB is out of ammunition to pep up the EU economy if it gets further into trouble.
  6. UK and EU supply chains are intertwined. If the Eurocrats try to punish the UK for having the insolence to vote to leave., they'll hit EU economies as well. And, at present, the UK economy is doing better than many EU ones...
I'd say the EU secretariat has been foolish, unprofessional and short-sighted. They'd have done far better to facilitate a smooth exit and ensuring the UK remaining a friendly trading partner than the creating the current fornicate up they've played a significant role in orchestrating.

Wordsmith
There's been nothing covert about what the Chinese have been up to.

As for the EU punishing the UK, that would be a bit of an own goal. We may well have to look elsewhere for suppliers but the EU still needs to sell its goods. If it doesn't sell them to us it will need to find other customers. If it couldn't it would lose market share and once you lose your customers it is hard to win them back, especially once they've established a relationship with a new supplier.

Yes it’s all there. From one who’s followed and stalked me all over the place. I’ve said it before. It shouldn’t be too difficult for you to find, if not you, someone.

Again and from repetition it had something to do with ‘taxation, neutrality and family matters’ there could be more. But the changes were certainly not insubstantial.

I take it the ‘Blarney Stone licking buffoon’, is just more humour?

‘A Blarney Stone licking buffoon’, oh tell me you didn’t.. Or better still. Tell me you did. It probably tasted familiar.

You’re probably the sort of person who took the piss out of the people in the carry out before you got your food.
Just for you, skidders.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chuggafugga Brexit 61
Red Hander Brexit 58
deanol Brexit 189

Latest Threads