Brexit - The Final

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
In which case, the way ahead for Europe now is surely to maximise its income from trade with its independent-and-yet
- just-off-shore neighbour. Pragmatism usually trumps politics...
Yep.

The rules of the game change after 31st October. Until then the EU can posture and be difficult in the hope that the Remain element in parliament can block or delay Brexit. However, with the Tory position steadily strengthening in the polls that appears ever less likely. Corbyn is is unlikely to want to precipitate a GE in which BoJo is returned with a working majority and Labour lose seats.

After Brexit, political posturing by the EU is meaningless. The UK is out of the EU, the only way of rejoining is via Article 49 (which require free movement and the euro), and there is zero prospect of the UK rejoining the EU for at least a generation.

As such, the EU will move to damage limitation; trying to preserve the single market while retaining as much access to UK markets as possible. The EU will also be aware that a hard line approach will just speed up signing a US/UK FTA - which would be a real own goal for the EU.

As you say "Pragmatism usually trumps politics..."

Wordsmith

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Incorrect

The backstop only kicks in if the WA is agreed (as it is part of it). It only kicks in if there isn’t something workable in place to prevent a customs border and then it only remains until a workable solution to prevent a customs border is found.

If the WA is the problem then why is all the talk that the Backstop?

BJ was very quiet after he agreed to the WA and then resigned from Government the next day. Found out?

Found out again!

He, like May, think they can divide the EU27 and he has found out he can’t.

Did it involve Infrastructure on the border?
Could it tell where it came from exactly?
Exactly what was onboard?
Where exactly it was going?
The cost of transportation?
Where the items on board originated?
Could it validate all that information?
You know damn well why the backstop is unacceptable.

It is very easy to stop smuggling by respectable businesses. As you know yourself as one of yours is doing 7 years in irish chokey for mislabling imports from China to evade duty.

It is impossible to stop every nasty pullover wearing paddy of either stripe shoving stuff in his boot that he shouldn't have and driving across the border.

No deal and we are both in reality territory and sort out the former.

Backstop and the commission will demand we completely stop the latter (but with not border infrastructure) or never be released from the customs union and single market.

Ain't going to happen.

You have a GSM 1962 with an ACSM which are worth much more than any Irish passport!! :)
I got one of these when I was about 9 years old and it's still worth more than an Irish passport.

You have been allowed in as an organ donor.
Your brain is much sought after. Brand new, unused.
I would suggest he's been allowed in as a medical curiosity. How a body can function with the total absence of a brain.

Considering this was a long time ago technology wise why don't you use Google?
Basically back under vengeful most vehicles if not all were registered on the system often for the first time when entering the province. A picture of its travels could be built up from every time it went through a PVCP or was plate checked by a keen eyed member of the SF.
Nowadays its a lot simpler. If you want to smuggle you would use a quiet border crossing point and not do any paperwork.
If you want to export you fill in the forms on line and expect your vehicle to be randomly checked by overworked customs officials at some point in its journey. Pretty much how international trade is done. Now if you want to stop smuggling then you could deploy the massive Irish Army to seal up the border or stand back whilst the Eu do it.
That's worth the wait to watch!
The CTA isn’t part of the problem as it deals only with the movement of people. It is the movement of trade that is the problem that has to be got around.
If the whole point of a 'border' is not to check on the movement of people but only of goods then, as ugly says, it should be fairly straight forward. When I shipped goods abroad I would fill out the requisite forms giving all the required details and information. Copies would be e-mailed to the customer and hard copies given to the carrier. In most cases goods flow through customs quite seamlessly, whether within the EU or to non-EU countries. Occasionally some non-EU countries could be a pain in the neck regarding goods held in customs but as long as the customer has listed correctly their paperwork requirements it usually would go through. I nearly always sent consignments Ex-Works depending upon which countries I was dealing with and any hold ups would be for the customer to sort out. Discovering consignments containing contraband or illegal items is usually intelligence-led as there is simply so much freight coming and going.

We don't need a hard border and customs check points could be located away from the border where goods vehicles could be randomly inspected.

Anyway, who's up for my petition to declare 1st November an annual Bank Holiday, called Independence Day? Like the USA we should celebrate throwing of the yoke of an interfering foreign power. Our slogan could be 'no taxation without representation'.
Excellent idea and one I'd also thought of.

It had been my intention to make that suggestion to the PM's office Contact the Prime Minister - Great Britain and Northern Ireland and if anyone was to raise a petition to that effect I would sign it.

If the whole point of a 'border' is not to check on the movement of people but only of goods then, as ugly says, it should be fairly straight forward. When I shipped goods abroad I would fill out the requisite forms giving all the required details and information. Copies would be e-mailed to the customer and hard copies given to the carrier. In most cases goods flow through customs quite seamlessly, whether within the EU or to non-EU countries. Occasionally some non-EU countries could be a pain in the neck regarding goods held in customs but as long as the customer has listed correctly their paperwork requirements it usually would go through. I nearly always sent consignments Ex-Works depending upon which countries I was dealing with and any hold ups would be for the customer to sort out. Discovering consignments containing contraband or illegal items is usually intelligence-led as there is simply so much freight coming and going.

We don't need a hard border and customs check points could be located away from the border where goods vehicles could be randomly inspected.

Funny, isn’t it?

I can order goods from Las Vegas and fill in a simple online firm and it arrives in a few days.

But moving something across the Oirish border is apparently more complex than the Theory of Everything.

yeah sure, let's go with that, carry on enlightening us through the medium of twitter do. Found a question you'd like to answer yet, speaking of observational skills? I await your next bit of yeah, but, no evasion.
When you're able to coherently ask a question get back to me...if you're able to show any that I haven't answered I'll address them...

For personal information you can take the last reply as it.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
When you're able to coherently ask a question get back to me...if you're able to show any that I haven't answered I'll address them...

For personal information you can take the last reply as it.
Yeah, but, no as discussed.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Hardly discussed, more mentioned by the losers!
Despite the constant reference to remainers in parliament, in the lords, general society. Traitors, collaborators, fifth columnists, no you’re right hardly a mention at all.

A bit pointless then, because each side is playing to its own peanut gallery.
There's only one side leaving, having ramped up blaming the EU.

BoJo could have announced a month ago that we leave on 31 Aug. A month or two isn't going to make much difference. According to many on here, the pain will all be on the EU side, so why give the EU more time to prepare? If the No Dealers are correct, Merkel and Macron would be at the gates of Downing street, clawing at the bars.

The more serious point, is BoJo is planning on getting a Deal, and so far has made little or no progress.
I had wondered myself whether Boris could unilaterally bring forward the leave date but I'm not sure if he could. It required a vote in parliament to extend A50 until 31st October so I would assume it would require another vote to cut it short. Even if he could I doubt he would as it would cause a massive outcry amongst the remainers and would probably be counter-productive. If it required a parliamentary vote it couldn't happen until after the summer recess.

ugly

LE
I had wondered myself whether Boris could unilaterally bring forward the leave date but I'm not sure if he could. It required a vote in parliament to extend A50 until 31st October so I would assume it would require another vote to cut it short. Even if he could I doubt he would as it would cause a massive outcry amongst the remainers and would probably be counter-productive. If it required a parliamentary vote it couldn't happen until after the summer recess.
Actually the vote was immaterial! It was an order in council that extended it!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ho2331 Brexit 59
chuggafugga Brexit 70
Red Hander Brexit 63

Latest Threads