Brexit - The Final

BoJo goes to the nub of the problem.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/14/brexit-latest-news-boris-johnson-no-deal-john-bercow/

It's about time it was said. It will put those trying to obstruct Brexit on the defensive, as they'll increasingly have to explain their actions. In addition, it'll play well with Brexit supporters, probably further boosting the Tory poll ratings at the expense of TBP.

I note also it's being flagged via Facebook. This suggests Cummings - an expert in the use of the media to influence decisions - is setting a subtle and multi-threaded strategy.

Wordsmith
Borris is preparing us for a 'people versus parliament' general election campaign.

I'll look forward to telling them that we're leaving, yet again.

I see a flaw in your plan! Doesn't then next Speaker have to come from the Labour benches? Don't they sort of 'rotate' the position? If so, where on earth are you going to find someone in Labour with 'gravitas' for the job?
I can't think of anybody from the current Labour Party that would make a good speaker. Maybe Stella Creasy for a bit of eye candy or for shits and giggles, Diane Abbott. Just imagine: "Order, order - I'll have two bargain buckets and a large diet coke."

It may well be clever but it is hardly subtle.
It's a polite warning that the OSA might be brought into play for certain ex-ministers. If too embarrassing to use that, then its the Chilterns to spend more time with the family/pursue business on offer; failing thise then there's always the unexpected heart attack, oranges peel or cold remedies as a last resort. M'eh.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Borris is preparing us for a 'people versus parliament' general election campaign.

I'll look forward to telling them that we're leaving, yet again.
It is a tactic that will worry the Remain camp. If BoJo plays his cards right, it will further drain support from TBP to the benefit of the Tories. He's on 32% of the vote at the moment. Once he gets to the north of 36%, he's in a position to win a working majority.

Repeating the Remain MP/EU collusion point every few days may also result in the Remain camp scoring quite a few own goals.

Wordsmith

It may well be clever but it is hardly subtle.
Subtlety is hardly the modus for either the EU, or its craven fanbois in the UK..... If they won't do a deal that is acceptable to parliament and the country, what is to be done ????? rolling back, is nothing more than cowardice. The only way forward is no deal. What other options do you propose ??????

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Subtlety is hardly the modus for either the EU, or its craven fanbois in the UK..... If they won't do a deal that is acceptable to parliament and the country, what is to be done ????? rolling back, is nothing more than cowardice. The only way forward is no deal. What other options do you propose ??????
All the other ones.

Leave without a deal.
Leave with a deal.
Revoke Article 50.
Seek a further extension in order to have an early election or another referendum.

That's what next month's fun in Parliament will be about. I'm rather looking forward to it. I don't see why people are struggling with the very obvious possibilities since they've always been there.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't think of anybody from the current Labour Party that would make a good speaker. Maybe Stella Creasy for a bit of eye candy or for shits and giggles, Diane Abbott. Just imagine: "Order, order - I'll have two bargain buckets and a large diet coke."
We'd be treated to the Abbotopotomus trying to work out which was the larger number; 236 or 327 when voting occurred...

Wordsmith :twisted:

We'd be treated to the Abbotopotomus trying to work out which was the larger number; 236 or 327 when voting occurred...

Wordsmith :twisted:
Oh, for sure they'd have to get someone in to do the counting for her. A 4-year-old should suffice.

All the other ones.

Leave without a deal.
Leave with a deal.
Revoke Article 50.
Seek a further extension in order to have an early election or another referendum.

That's what next month's fun in Parliament will be about. I'm rather looking forward to it. I don't see why people are struggling with the very obvious possibilities since they've always been there.
And you have the nerve to say we are the ones chasing rainbows!

All the other ones.

Leave without a deal.
Leave with a deal.
Revoke Article 50.

Only a cretin with the political nous of a potato would see revoking Art.50 as a viable option.
Further extension or another referendum would elevate you to turnip.

What a pathetic response. When challenged about anything, you resort to calling people socks?! And you constantly accuse people of making stuff up. Are you 12 years old?
What exactly have I made up, and what’s this “sock” crap. Do you speak to people like this face-to-face?

There’s a reason you seem to fall out with everybody on this site, guess what it is?
I don't fall out with everyone but,
cheers sock. You sound a tad angry BTW.

All the other ones.

Leave without a deal.
Leave with a deal.
Revoke Article 50.

Leave without a deal. - The most likely outcome.

Leave with a deal. - Highly unlikely as the WA is not agreeable to parliament and in any case cannot be brought back to parliament in its present form, Bercow has dictated that. The EU have said they won't renegotiate it so its present form is not going to change.

Revoke Article 50. - Not going to happen. Boris can revoke A50 by parliamentary prerogative but he has ruled that out and has said we are leaving on 31st October, deal or no deal.

Seek a further extension in order to have an early election or another referendum. - As above, Boris has said we are leaving on 31st October, deal or no deal and he has ruled out another referendum. He won't risk an early general election, even if two thirds of MPs agreed to it, because he won't want anything unforeseen getting in the way of exit day. The only way he will possibly agree to an extension is if the EU agree to canning the backstop at the very least. If the EU do it would only be at the very last moment, within an hour or two of 23:00 on 31st October. If that's the case he will only agree to an extension long enough for the lawyers to go over it with a fine tooth comb. FWIW I don't think the EU will cave in.

Once again, BL, you are grasping at straws, as you always do.

ugly

LE
Kate Hoey?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Leave without a deal. - The most likely outcome.

Leave with a deal. - Highly unlikely as the WA is not agreeable to parliament and in any case cannot be brought back to parliament in its present form, Bercow has dictated that. The EU have said they won't renegotiate it so its present form is not going to change.

Revoke Article 50. - Not going to happen. Boris can revoke A50 by parliamentary prerogative but he has ruled that out and has said we are leaving on 31st October, deal or no deal.

Seek a further extension in order to have an early election or another referendum. - As above, Boris has said we are leaving on 31st October, deal or no deal and he has ruled out another referendum. He won't risk an early general election, even if two thirds of MPs agreed to it, because he won't want anything unforeseen getting in the way of exit day. The only way he will possibly agree to an extension is if the EU agree to canning the backstop at the very least. If the EU do it would only be at the very last moment, within an hour or two of 23:00 on 31st October. If that's the case he will only agree to an extension long enough for the lawyers to go over it with a fine tooth comb. FWIW I don't think the EU will cave in.

Once again, BL, you are grasping at straws, as you always do.
I answered a question. No straw-clutching involved.

Johnson has also said leaving with no-deal is a million to one possibility, so I would't put too much faith in his words if I were you.