Brexit - The Final

Oh FFS
Where did we go for aid when the Americans (you remember those special relationships people) told us we were on our own in the Gulf.
Hunt told the US no thanks not the other way round. Let's see how long that stance survives the new PM.

And he went nowhere near the EU. His proposal specifically excludes any EU involvement.

You know both of these things, so stop lying.

I was being tongue in cheek

There can be no unity of purpose unless either a hard brexit or hard remain government ends up in power, with sufficient MPs on board to get legislation done.

Head gear seems to advocate for a very authoritarian type form of government and CS oversight which can only produce a toxic environment and wreck the interface between government and civil service by having the CS in a state of fear of summary career death if they dare to speak their own views to power.

Still. We have to leave. Right now!
Has poor Baggy had a bump on the head?

What on earth is the matter with the brexiters.
You won the referendum.
You managed to hold everyone else, responsible for the current chaos around brexit.
And now, again, you’ve got what you want in regard to brexiters running the show.
Who are you going to be holding responsible for it if it still doesn’t work?

If it’s still the remainers ( who have had little or nothing to do with the brexit negotiations).

You have to admit, by doing little or nothing, we’ve played a blinder.
Conventional wisdom has it that Brexiteers did not know what they were voting for.
Parliamentary behaviour over the past two years indicates that MPs did not know what they were voting for when they invoked article 50.
Remainers today are saying that the Tory party membership have no idea what they have done by electing BJ.
The SNP have said today that BJ doesn't know what he is doing.
Labour have said they will vote against any deal proposed by the government.
Labour have also admitted that they don't know what to do and will probably therefore, support a second referendum.

What kind of dithering, procrasting, uncertain type of country have we become? ETA or is it our elected reps who have become dithering procrastinators charecterized by manic uncertainty.

Last edited:
Which arrse remainer is this?

I'm guessing it's the lobster

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting letter in the Telegraph.
SIR – I feel energised now that Boris Johnson is to be in charge. His enthusiastic, optimistic approach is infectious and it is long overdue.

I’m not particularly political, but I vowed not to vote Conservative again, after the Brexit agreement imposed by Theresa May at Chequers. Now maybe the Tories will get a second chance from me and many like me.
Nearly as important, we will see the end of the “grey-faced” brigade of Mrs May, Philip Hammond and others, sitting in positions of power and thoroughly depressing the population. Hopefully even Sir John Major will get back in his box and not reappear.

Here’s to a future to look forward to.
Here's what the Labour party in particular will fear. The Tory vote was holding up reasonably well until May failed to Brexit on 31st March. It then went into free fall. With BoJo in charge, the Tory vote may now recover. That leaves the Labour party 10% behind in the polls and an increased likelihood BoJo will maneuver parliament into blocking Brexit then go the the country on a single issue "people v parliament" GE. (Having first prepared the ground by a series of populist initiatives and tax cuts).

Wordsmith

I was being tongue in cheek

There can be no unity of purpose unless either a hard brexit or hard remain government ends up in power, with sufficient MPs on board to get legislation done.

Head gear seems to advocate for a very authoritarian type form of government and CS oversight which can only produce a toxic environment and wreck the interface between government and civil service by having the CS in a state of fear of summary career death if they dare to speak their own views to power.

Still. We have to leave. Right now!
Morning Baggy.

Ultimately the EU won't want to precipitate an interruption in trade. It would hurt both sides, but if Italy gets in the smeg, the euro is in deep trouble.

I expect a hard line out of the EU for the next month, while they assess BoJo's chances of getting a no deal Brexit through (or around) parliament. If it looks likely, look for the EU to get on the reverso-cycle.

Wordsmith
I agree with this. Ultimately, both France and Germany now face significant risks and the balance is altering between wanting a hostile divorce with Britain, or letting us out, but keeping us closely alongside.

Brussels will still want to play hard ball, but they are the puppets, not the puppet-masters. I think Macron would like us to be out on our ear, but having had to revisit his reforms, he too will have to put economic stability over political retribution.

For our part, UK will need to demonstrate (assuming that Boris prevails, which is not certain) that we remain a close and dedicated European partner, even if no longer in the union. Bottom line; I think UK and Europe will be better off for Britain being out and leaning voluntarily in, than disgruntled in and perpetually trying to get out....

Or banded together would be

Politicians lie.
The word lie is subjective to the case in question. Just how subjective is that 17.4 million people consider it a lie, some didn't realise the lie and never voted, the minority didn't consider the EU a lie. Whether Parliament are determined that the lie shall prevail, is another matter.

The lies in my book are these.
The EU says it has a foreign Policy- that is a lie- there is no evidence to support that.
The EU say they have maintained the peace in Europe- there is no evidence that they have
The EU say that they control immigration, that is a lie, there are no EU passport controls
The EU say they have a right to control Trade- there is no evidence that they do so Nor has any detractor actually proved to me they do.

Latest Threads