Brexit - The Final

Bloody hot!
Its 26 degrees here and I'm walking around the cottage bollock naked.
The dog is doing her impression of being dropped from a great height onto the stone floor to keep cool.
Did I mention I've got my tackle out?
Photos not required.

[Thread drift]. I went to a an SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers) meeting in Geneva in which the main speaker was an O&G senior trader. He said that he monitored his junior traders for those who made no losses. His rationale was that they were unwilling to take risks and, therefore, less likely to be successful traders.

I suppose he'd be the type who loves uncertainty.
Indeed, it's pretty simple.........no volatility, no opportunity to make money.

One can make (or lose) money in markets from, literally, any type of market movement........but the prerequisite is movement.

On your guy's comments, there are those who just find themselves unable to make a decision oriented risk. It's not education, I've had guys with two quant PhD's unable to get their heads around it.....they look for too many data points to try and predict stochastic processes......meanwhile, the market's moved on.

I disagree. Lots of very nervous people at the moment
If you're referring to those who support risk takers (IT sales etc), then very likely the case.

If you're referring to actual risk takers (i.e. the trader on the desk taking decisions), then it's not the case. Traders position themselves according to view and risk appetite.

Fair point, what happens next could well be an unwelcome rollercoaster ride.
That's the thing......."rollercoaster rides" aren't necessarily unwelcome.

Simple derivative structures allow you to take beneficial advantage of increased volatility (short butterfly)......if that's the way you think the market will move.

Soros didn't make his money in a static market. As ever, the trick is being "right".

Boris is right...

Forget the economy, forget security, forget climate change, forget the future... let's have a larf. We can now starve, fry and die with a smile on our faces.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
IF I was Boris, then I would ditch Hunt from the Foreign Office and put somebody in there like IDS and maybe announce publically, we are ditching the European Naval Force idea in the Gulf and sticking with our oldest ally.
What, Portugal?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The referendum may have been technically advisory but as the government stated the result would be honoured it took that advice and considered it an instruction. Parliament voted to invoke A50 which then became law. From that point on the referendum became history, over, done and dusted. Advisory or not it's now irrelevant. You can bleat on all you like about it being advisory, it won't make any difference to what happened afterwards.
I know. Well done.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I wonder how much lipstick Boris can apply to May's WA to get it through Parliament.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Why would he even try ?

Has it sunk in yet that a WA is not a legal requirement in order to leave the EU ?

It is a nice to have, nothing more, nothing less.
I suspect you will be surprised by what he does now he has his prize. Johnson is a rather liberal One Nation Tory.

Yesterday's Leave euphoria is likely to be a Will o' the Wisp.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You mistake me for someone else.

Nothing, and I really mean nothing, would surprise me about ANY politician.

That one Nation being the UK, not one Nation being EU Superstate.
The EU Superstate is a figment of your imagination.

Still waiting for Hammond to resign as promised, suspect he's going to flounce out as publically as possible like that twat Alan Duncan

If you're referring to those who support risk takers (IT sales etc), then very likely the case.

If you're referring to actual risk takers (i.e. the trader on the desk taking decisions), then it's not the case. Traders position themselves according to view and risk appetite.
Indeed

Latest Threads