Brexit - The Final

What’s the point you’re making. The issue is protecting the revenue. If there are no revenues there’s nothing to protect
Revenues are in duties I assume you mean?

Well the U.K. lodged its proposed tarrifs schedule in July 2018
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-goods-and-services-schedules-at-the-wto

And here is what was published a couple of weeks ago by the UK
https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2019/03/tariffs.pdf

Oh look you have duties to collect

Oh yes the U.K. has said that it will not collect tariffs on the NI border, giving EU goods (and any 3rd country goods imported into the EU) barrier free access to the NI market for a 1 year period..... why 1 year? Probably because they don’t have the physical infrastructure in place.

This breaches MFN rules (there could be come kind of temporary dispensation allowed by WTO rules but it isn’t Article 24 as the U.K. tarrifs are different to the EU ones).

What does that mean for NI-mainland U.K. trade.... border in the Irish Sea.... what the EU and U.K. Government agreed in the backstop

I said manning the border, not customs controls. We do not have to be on the border for customs controls. Specific targeting of P and Rs is another matter

Nope. Customs do not examine for that, they verify the goods are as described and besides CE markings can and are forged. The EU can’t even secure its own phyto system
I can assure you that they do, having had equipment shipped from Houston when I was working there, to head office in France held up by French customs because it wasn’t CE marked, I learned this the hard way.
By way of explanation, the equipment was for in-house testing and not for resale, therefore was not required to be CE marked.
The forging or otherwise of CE marks is irrelevant, the legal requirement for equipment to be tested and certified to certain standards still forms a trade barrier over and above import duties.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
which is all very well but hurting yourself in the process isnt the smartest move.

may really is a political genuis losing her majority while labour was tearing itself apart
And, further, Labour couldn't land a punch on a divided Tory party against a background of austerity and the Lib Dems failed to trouble the scorers (not to mention that across the pond, the yanks had a similar race to the bottom when asked to choose between Hillary and the Donald).

I suspect when the history of the past three years is written, those writing it will be driven to drink and drugs and the great mystery will be why the available political options were so dire.

And, further, Labour couldn't land a punch on a divided Tory party against a background of austerity and the Lib Dems failed to trouble the scorers (not to mention that across the pond, the yanks had a similar race to the bottom when asked to choose between Hillary and the Donald).

I suspect when the history of the past three years is written, those writing it will be driven to drink and drugs and the great mystery will be why the available political options were so dire.

It's just a brainfart driven by irresponsible social media. Normal service may be resumed at some time. Fingers crossed.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The Tories have a simple remedy. Simply ask voters if they avoid getting into debt. The inevitable answer for most of them will be Yes. The Tories can then ask voters, if they manage their household finances with care, why should they vote in Corbyn who will not manage the country's finances far worse most people run their household finances?

All the Tories did last time was bang on about the 'magic money tree', which made them seem as if they were talking about something out of 'Jack and the Beanstalk'. A message has to resonate.

Wordsmith
It doesn't work like that.

A lot of people are at the bottom of the heap and can't see a viable financial route representing onwards and upwards. The promise to make things more accessible/fairer resonates hugely with the under thirties who are faced with everything from student debt to insane house prices. If the political mainstream doesn't offer the realistic prospect of fair and equitable access to those things our generation and those before us had access to, those excluded are going to be very open to suggestions that things are skewed against them and that something should be done. It's an argument with some merit.

Young people paying for shoite degrees and effectively financing their own absence from the dole queues for the convenience of the government is a particular obscenity.

Oh yes the U.K. has said that it will not collect tariffs on the NI border, giving EU goods (and any 3rd country goods imported into the EU) barrier free access to the NI market for a 1 year period..... why 1 year? Probably because they don’t have the physical infrastructure in place.

This breaches MFN rules (there could be come kind of temporary dispensation allowed by WTO rules but it isn’t Article 24 as the U.K. tarrifs are different to the EU ones).
You need to research at what point such an arrangement becomes a breach of WTO.........very likely one year.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It's just a brainfart driven by irresponsible social media. Normal service may be resumed at some time. Fingers crossed.
I don't agree. I think it's the logical outcome of identity politics and that, if we don't get a grip, we'll have an increasingly intolerant politics and end up paying the price that unfettered tribalism invariably exacts.

I don't agree. I think it's the logical outcome of identity politics and that, if we don't get a grip, we'll have an increasingly intolerant politics and end up paying the price that unfettered tribalism invariably exacts.

I'm no fan of intolerance nor of tribalism and think the British in the round are sensible enough to reject both.

This made me chuckle from the Mail Online:

A Cabinet source said: ‘The only thing agreed this morning was that everyone hates Bercow.’ The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said Mrs May had predicted a crisis if MPs rejected her deal for a second time, adding: ‘That situation has come to pass.’

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm no fan of intolerance nor of tribalism and think the British in the round are sensible enough to reject both.
I don't think the British, in the round, have the slightest notion of what's going on, far less what they could do about it. If you believe that your political opponents are evil, it doesn't leave much room for tolerance, much less consideration of an alternative viewpoint.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer