Brexit - The Final

What Tusks firm declaration that a third vote must happen this week for any extension to apply?
Its you that is missing the point
That’s... that’s not what he said at all.

Jesus Christ, if this is the level of understanding in the debate, no wonder Leave is all at sea.

That went up over many months, not overnight.

And having just demonstrated the ability to spoof the petitions for my own interest, I have severe reservations about how 5 million signatures accumulated that quickly.

The bottleneck for me would be creating aliased email addresses; with those I could automate the signing of the government petition. I haven't investigated whether I could auto generate aliased email addresses at my ISP - I suspect it's possible.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Wordsmith
Sure, you keep believing that. ^^

Is it possible to repeatedly sign a parliamentary petition using the same email address?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
So I did a little experiment. I've already signed up to the hard Brexit petition.

Petition: Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.

So I used a different email address.

View attachment 384495

And was successful.

View attachment 384497
My ISP (not Yahoo) allows any number of email addresses to be aliased to my main one. There is a tool called Burp Suite used in computer security. Using its functionality, it would be trivial for me to add 100,000 names to the hard Brexit one. Which:
  1. Makes me very distrustful of any petition that puts on that many signatures that fast. (Remain or Leave).
  2. Makes me very doubtful of the standards of journalism that can work out that there are automated tools out there.
Wordsmith
Are there 100,001 Donald Duck’s then:? Or can Bugs Rabbit sign?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
According to the Eu that's what happens if we have no meaningful vote before then!
But we will won’t we because parliament and May as well as the civil service who are advising these so called honourable members don’t want us to leave.
It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to still find ourselves tied to the EU this time next year, because I still can’t see the deal May is putting forward been altered enough to get it voted through, even if it does, it still ties us to Europe and it’s worse than staying in.
And NO Deal which I would prefer is a non starter, there is no chance of that happening.
We are stuck to the EU like crap to a blanket!

But we will won’t we because parliament and May as well as the civil service who are advising these so called honourable members don’t want us to leave.
It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to still find ourselves tied to the EU this time next year, because I still can’t see the deal May is putting forward been altered enough to get it voted through, even if it does, it still ties us to Europe and it’s worse than staying in.
And NO Deal which I would prefer is a non starter, there is no chance of that happening.
The Remainers know how to snarl up Brexit but they don't know how to get from here to a second referendum without being strung up. I expect much can kicking in order to buy the time needed to figure that piece out. The question is whether the EU will give them the time, because it's got problems of its own.

There's also the question of whether ever closer union is made easier by giving the UK the heave ho rather than having us as a constant source of simmering resentment and a general sheet anchor on closer integration. If I were Macron, there would be huge appeal in having the UK out of the EU and with a sh1t deal in order to deter other dissenters.

I think PMTM is holding on until she can sign her deal in the Compiègne Wagon so she can retire feeling smug

I think PMTM is holding on until she can sign her deal in the Compiègne Wagon so she can retire feeling smug
It would be most amusing if it turned out that PMTM deliberately ran the clock down to trigger No Deal. Strangely, if that was her original intention, she would have played the entire Brexit process in exactly the way she has. :-D

According to the Eu that's what happens if we have no meaningful vote before then!

If MV3 doesn't happen by Friday 29th then the EU extends to 12th April for HMG to come up with an alternative.
Parliament hasn't yet agreed the amended date, until they do Friday remains the exit date.

If by 12th April the WA isn't agreed then we are out, unless that nice Mr Macron decides to cut a bit more slack.
What is apparent from that is that the majority of the EU27 are bricking it about no deal. Macron is simply trying to keep a lid on populism in France.

ugly

LE
Sadly I think you are right that doesn't stop art 50 happening on Friday as its the law!

It would be most amusing if it turned out that PMTM deliberately ran the clock down to trigger No Deal. Strangely, if that was her original intention, she would have played the entire Brexit process in exactly the way she has. :-D
Does she really live up to her alleged nickname if 'the submarine'?
If she really does I reckon she could beat the Donald in a poker game anytime.
Sadly, I doubt she'll pull off such a coup.

It's occurred to me that not only will the sad farce continue but somewhere, a TV Producer is lining her up for Celebrity Come Dancing post PMship. Dire as it would likely be even that couldn't be as big an embarrassment as her current activity.

Yeah, remember when you were all excited about how quickly the Leave with No Deal petition was being signed?

That was funny.

View attachment 384502

View attachment 384503
I find it hilarious that remoaners are spending precious minutes of their boring lives continuously signing an online petition for something that is already being discussed in parlement anyway,

Or do they actually think that if they can get more than 17.4 million signatures then they win.

Leavers won't get anywhere near 5million because we've already voted, and we won.

ugly

LE
If MV3 doesn't happen by Friday 29th then the EU extends to 12th April for HMG to come up with an alternative.
Parliament hasn't yet agreed the amended date, until they do Friday remains the exit date.

If by 12th April the WA isn't agreed then we are out, unless that nice Mr Macron decides to cut a bit more slack.
What is apparent from that is that the majority of the EU27 are bricking it about no deal. Macron is simply trying to keep a lid on populism in France.
No the statement was MV 3 has to happen for any extension, the outcome sets the length of the extension!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
FFS. I will explain this in words of one syllable.

My ISP allows aliased email addresses. I can this have:

Wordsmith@wordsmith.ISP.com
Wordsmith1@wordsmithISP.com

Right up to

Wordsmith100000@wordsmith.ISP.com

And all the emails will be directed to Wordsmith@wordsmith.ISP.com. The crucial part is "wordsmith@ISP.com". I can thus have a huge number of variants of my email address, each of which can be used to vote once in the poll.

What is an Email Alias and How to Use Them For Your Business – Legal Technology Solutions

I work in the computer security field - and am gobsmacked about how little some of the media understand about how to spook these polls.

And your expertise is?

Wordsmith

PMTM Statement Today

Included in which is:
But if the House does not approve the Withdrawal Agreement this week, our departure will instead be extended only to 11pm on 12th April.
and
The Council’s Conclusions were subsequently turned into a legal Decision, with which the UK agreed, and which came into force last Friday.

So while the Government has today laid a Statutory Instrument, which will be debated later this week, to reflect this in our own domestic legislation, the date for our departure from the EU has now changed in international law.

ugly

LE
PMTM Statement Today

Included in which is:
But if the House does not approve the Withdrawal Agreement this week, our departure will instead be extended only to 11pm on 12th April.
and
The Council’s Conclusions were subsequently turned into a legal Decision, with which the UK agreed, and which came into force last Friday.

So while the Government has today laid a Statutory Instrument, which will be debated later this week, to reflect this in our own domestic legislation, the date for our departure from the EU has now changed in international law.
Not sure the Eu will allow it as we have to vote on mv3 to get any extension. May is fibbing but that's no surprise