Brexit - The Final

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Dominic Grieve will vote for the motion proposed by Starmer and threatens to resign the Tory whip if faced with leaving with no deal. No real surprise.
If there were any doubts in his local party about the merits of deselecting him, I suspect he's just removed them.

Dominic Grieve - Wikipedia
On 29 March 2019 (the original planned date of Brexit), a Motion of no confidence against Grieve was carried by his local party 182 votes to 131. At this, Grieve said he'll carry on 'exactly as before'. The motion triggers the first stage in the process of deselection.
I suspect Grieve might not need to resign the whip. If BoJo is elected as leader/PM, he's more than likely to remove it if Grieve votes with the opposition on this one.

Wordsmith

I trust one of the first acts of a new Tory PM with be to remove the whip from toads like Grieve Legion D’honnuer and invite their consituencies to deselect them.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Looks like the MPs are starting to look to their chances at the next election.

I am not sure I agree that any Tories that voted for the motion should be deselected. I understand and fully support the honouring the referendum result regardless of how your constituency voted, but if a constituency voted Remain then the MP can say he was just following their instruction.
The above also applies to Labour MP's in leave voting constituencies who should vote against their own party on this one?

Wordsmith

Keir Starmer and his remainer friends are fully aware that without No Deal on the table and the preparation and will to implement it, Brexit is dead in the water. Theresa May pretty much “negotiated” on that basis...
Here are the Tories who voted against their government, no surprises

Guido Fawkes - Parliamentary plots & conspiracy
What a bunch! They should be cast into the wilderness and forced to join the Soubry creature at the (Got Any) Change Party all-day cocktail cabinet.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Here are the Tories who voted against their government, no surprises

Guido Fawkes - Parliamentary plots & conspiracy
Of your list, Ken Clark was no surprise. He's standing down at the next election and there's f--- all the party can do to discipline him.

Ditto Dominic Grieve - he might as well tattoo "please deselect me" on his forehead.

I see Sam Gyimah is also on the list. Surely no relation to the Sam Gyimah that's just withdrawn from the Tory leadership contest. He's just provided a stunningly good demonstration of how he had all the traits to lead the party (not).

I guess Oliver Letwin and Justin Greening don't want posts in BoJo's cabinet.

I've never heard of three on the list (Phillip Lee, Guto Bebb and Antoinette Sandbach). Obviously highly prominent public figures.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Motion defeated. 298 Ayes 309 Noes. Commentators were surprised at the scale of the defeat...
I suspect some of those not voting for the motion were bright enough to see that BoJo on his hind legs saying:

"By tying my hands by saying we can't leave without a deal, all you have done is encourage the EU to say no changes can be made to May's WA. The Tory party stands ready to exit the EU and respect the result of the referendum. It is the Labour, Lib Dem and SNP parties that are thwarting the will of the electorate".

might not enhance the electoral prospects of the opposition parties in an early GE.

Wordsmith

Of your list, Ken Clark was no surprise. He's standing down at the next election and there's f--- all the party can do to discipline him.

Ditto Dominic Grieve - he might as well tattoo "please deselect me" on his forehead.

I see Sam Gyimah is also on the list. Surely no relation to the Sam Gyimah that's just withdrawn from the Tory leadership contest. He's just provided a stunningly good demonstration of how he had all the traits to lead the party (not).

I guess Oliver Letwin and Justin Greening don't want posts in BoJo's cabinet.

I've never heard of three on the list (Phillip Lee, Guto Bebb and Antoinette Sandbach). Obviously highly prominent public figures.

Wordsmith

The turds can be subject to retaliation by not awarding them gongs, HoL and Quango seats.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Funny how you predict someone’s vote by their level of education.

You could be the exception that proves the rule, unless you delve deeper into the data that is.
And yet, Remainers can tell someone's education by the way they vote. Higgsy, Baggy, Chillsjag and Skid2 all seem experts on the subject.

Can this motion be passed again?

And yet, Remainers can tell someone's education by the way they vote. Higgsy, Baggy, Chillsjag and Skid2 all seem experts on the subject.
well they got me wrong then didn't they

me...thick as mince 1 O level (English language at the age of 30 evening class) ...voted remain

me......still thick as mince changed my mind

before all you academics jump in and let me know just how stupid and uneducated I am .... I started working at 15 before taking any exams..... people, many people, did the same, it wasn't a God given privilege to attend university and load yourself with thousands of pound debt

I may not know the chemical composition of a banana..... but I do know how to peel one

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I don’t know if this has been mentioned but I did a search which proved negative and as it’s political I’ll mention t here.
BBC defends Jo Brand over 'battery acid' joke

Now if any one mentioned something, anything against our snowflakes and was only joking do you think the BBC would take the same stance?
Talk about fecking hypocritical standards.
Considering someone got prosecuted for his dog showing his paw in a somewhat funny manner I will be expecting her to be talked to by plod for inciting violence.

Last edited:
Boris increased his popularity today by stepping out of a wardrobe on the stage of his speech.
Wearing a floral frock, he announced that, henceforth, he will be known as " Doris", but only on alternate Thursdays.
Otherwise, he now self identifies as a black lesbian.

He went on to accuse the Shadow Home Secretary of cultural appropriation for, allegedly, trying to speak in English.
In a change to UK aid, he has stated a desire to air drop lady Nugee into whichever famine infested place is most hungry, on the grounds that she is rather more substantial than 5 loaves and 2 fish.

Replying to a question from ms Laura Kuensberg by headbutting her in the face, then clouting the Guardian reporter with his handbag, Boris/Doris retired, to rapturous applause, to the Green Room bar.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned but I did a search which proved negative and as it’s political I’ll mention t here.
BBC defends Jo Brand over 'battery acid' joke

Now if any one mentioned something, anything against our snowflakes and was only joking do you think the BBC would take the same stance?
Talk about fecking hypocritical standards.
Considering someone got prosecuted for his dog showing his paw in a somewhat funny manner I will be expecting her to be talked to by plod for inciting violence.

She said she was joking in the sentence after. It’s a bit extreme left to pretend this was anything other than a joke.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
She said she was joking in the sentence after. It’s a bit extreme left to pretend this was anything other than a joke.
And I still say if she joked and used the N word would the BBC be so lenient?
Baring in mind an MP has been murdered I think it’s very irresponsible at the least and with nut jobs abound they will see this as a damn good idea, she should know better as should the BBC but then again it’s what ever suits their agenda. Would she have said this if good old JC of Islington had milk shake thrown over him? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Indeed she did but, aside from her sneering tone (which may just be her normal manner of speech), it is important to take into account the full speech:
“She said: 'Well yes I would say that, but I think that's because certain unpleasant characters are being thrown to the fore and they're very, very easy to hate.
'And I'm kind of thinking, 'why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?'
'I'm not going to do it, it's purely a fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry.”
In my opinion, the use of ‘very, very easy to hate’ in the first paragraph belies the ‘I’m only kidding’ attempt at a pathetic joke.
As usual, too many people are ignoring the context because it does not suit their agenda.