Brexit - The Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
4 You neglected to mention Greece, because The Eu (Germany) has impounded their cheque book!
Or Hungary (EU interference in their internal affairs).

Or Denmark (who think the EU already has too much power)

There are too many obstacles to overcome for the EU to get a new treaty through. And with EU economic growth staling, its only a matter of time before serious problems in the euro rear their ugly head.

Wordsmith

Looks like there's trouble ahead for the EU, nationalism is on the rise...

Some parts of the population have noticed; hence the rise of the populist parties.

I do accept that some parts of the population are happy about further integration. However, the EU is at the moment tinkering around the edges of the problem. At some point they will require a successor to the Treaty of Lisbon, at which point the EU's direction of travel will be far clearer.

Treaty change requires unanimous assent. Although some governments could force things through without the consent of the electorate (as Gordon Brown did for the Lisbon treaty) other countries are mandated to hold referendums. And Germany will be required by its constitutional court to hold a referendum. Still further countries may well offer referendums to given them a reason to oppose the new treaty. There are too many countries that will block a new treaty. To name but three:
  1. Germany - because it doesn't want to give the EU control of its cheque book
  2. Italy - which is increasingly hostile to the EU
  3. Poland - because the EU is interfering in its internal affairs
As such, the chances of the EU getting the treaty required to reform the euro through are pretty remote.

Wordsmith
People only tend to wake up to problems when it hits them in the face.... For decades we were told the EU was an issue nobody was interested in and only the nutty 5% wanted to Brexit. Who knew :)

The EU will get around, through, over, or undermine anything in their way and the member states are children in comparison, to the Machiavellian bureaucratic machine setup in Brussels. Its just a matter of what lever can be used (people inside those nations who support the project), to set aside the populists long enough to cement the next step...

Trump has at most being guilty of a poor choice of words. His actions clearly put the US first. That scares the progressives and makes him their number one worst enemy.
And yet if you want a PM who puts the UK first you're considered a XRW extremist and probably end up on a watch list

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
People only tend to wake up to problems when it hits them in the face.... For decades we were told the EU was an issue nobody was interested in and only the nutty 5% wanted to Brexit. Who knew :)

The EU will get around, through, over, or undermine anything in their way and the member states are children in comparison, to the Machiavellian bureaucratic machine setup in Brussels. Its just a matter of what lever can be used (people inside those nations who support the project), to set aside the populists long enough to cement the next step...
In the case of Germany, they'll run up against the brick wall of the German constitutional court.

Federal Constitutional Court - Wikipedia
The main task of the court is judicial review, and it may declare legislation unconstitutional, thus rendering them ineffective.
If a successor to the Lisbon Treaty requires changes to the German constitution, the court will rule it unconstitutional. And the only way the German constitution can then be changed to accommodate the new treaty is via a referendum.

I don't see anyway the German electorate will vote to allow the EU control over their cheque book.

Wordsmith

In the case of Germany, they'll run up against the brick wall of the German constitutional court.

If a successor to the Lisbon Treaty requires changes to the German constitution, the court will rule it unconstitutional. And the only way the German constitution can then be changed to accommodate the new treaty is via a referendum.

I don't see anyway the German electorate will vote to allow the EU control over their cheque book.

Wordsmith

Hopefully the new Riechstag won’t burn down

Wordsmith
Populism is really, the federalists dream.... Its the leverage needed to encourages people to vote a certain way, in opposition to those bad people. If/when a new treaty turns up, you can bet its presented as a reaction to populism and surely more democracy in the EU is a good thing.

And yet if you want a PM who puts the UK first you're considered a XRW extremist and probably end up on a watch list
As rory said the other day on QT: Parliament is Sovereign and as the House is stocked full of progressives straight out of uni, any PM must reflect the diversity of the house.....

Nobbygas

Old-Salt

Wordsmith
I think (and I may be wrong) but Referendum's are banned in Germany?

Truxx

LE
Orange Man Bad.

All Remainers absolutely hate President Trump for reasons they are unable to articulate coherently.
That is because they are fundamentaly antidemokrat. Notwithstanding the fact that, by US rules, he is the democratically elected President they just dont like it.

ugly

LE
As rory said the other day on QT: Parliament is Sovereign and as the House is stocked full of progressives straight out of uni, any PM must reflect the diversity of the house.....
Then Rory is a knob jockey of the highest order, any PM needs to represent the democratic will of the electorate not be the mouthpiece for touchy feely lefty politics graduates who cant get a job in the real world!

I just calculated my salary with 15 percent pension contribs and its closer to 45k. No idea which university is paying its staff 30k.
Ah so EO with shift package equivalent HMCand E c 2009. My we have advanced and there was me thinking I was competeing with an intellectual heavyweight with a six figure salary. I don't feel quite so bad now. Me No mortgage or rent son.

Then Rory is a knob jockey of the highest order, any PM needs to represent the democratic will of the electorate not be the mouthpiece for touchy feely lefty politics graduates who cant get a job in the real world!
At the core of all our troubles is parliament.. The supposedly sovereign parliament was happy to hand over its powers to a higher authority, get us involved in wars nobody wanted and has being at the heart of promoting the progressive state…..

ugly

LE
At the core of all our troubles is parliament.. The supposedly sovereign parliament was happy to hand over its powers to a higher authority, get us involved in wars nobody wanted and has being at the heart of promoting the progressive state…..
Again, unemployable party twonks who wont respect the electorate or even represent them. Time to clean out the stables. Roll on the next GE!

Wordsmith
Not only that, Reading Spiegel Yesterday, or more accurately browsing whilst getting yammered at. it seems that Germany may have to rethink the coalition that they've recently been promising. One of the Junior partners in the GroKo has resigned giving Merkel a headache.
"Machen Sie's gut"Live

SPD-Chefin Nahles gibt auf, der innerparteiliche Druck nach der Europawahl war zu groß: Mit einem kurzen Abschiedsgruß verließ sie das Willy-Brandt-Haus. Was passiert nun mit der GroKo? Der Newsblog. Mit Vanessa Steinmetz, Christoph Titz und

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads