Brexit - The Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
The EU often uses the term ‘destiny’ when talking about the EU.
A certain Austrian was also big on the same term.
Exactly; your average nationalistic/Populist Government are generally fixed on trying to deal with the raft of problems, within that nations own borders.... History makes clear the real danger, is where a state or states fall under the cloud of some ideology, which creates a messianic desire to spread this newfound gospel/utopia into other peoples lands and its for their own good.

The EU and to an extent many of the member states are out of control and drunk on power.. The Brexit negotiations have shown the utter contempt they have for democracy and like any bully, are desperate to be seen to be righteous.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
As for Brexit, No Brexit = No Conservative Party. Now the Tories are dumb but I am not yet convinced that they are quite that dumb.
Certain MPs still are: exhibit one - Philip Hammond.

But I suspect a lot of Remain supporting MP's are looking at recent election results and the size of their majorities. A no deal Brexit will suddenly look more attractive when you are faced with the loss of your seat and the wipe-out of the Tory party.

I suspect a lot of the Remain wing of the Tory party originally thought that Brexit could be kicked into touch without long term electoral consequences. They now know that is not the case. The new leader has a mountain to climb to restore the Tory position; should he/she not deliver Brexit, that's the end of the Tory party; something slowly dawning on Remain supporting MPs.

Wordsmith

I just calculated my salary with 15 percent pension contribs and its closer to 45k. No idea which university is paying its staff 30k.
Right...

So your contract of employment, that you signed with a digital signature, did not give you a precise gross salary figure and full pension contribution information?

But I suspect a lot of Remain supporting MP's are looking at recent election results and the size of their majorities. A no deal Brexit will suddenly look more attractive when you are faced with the loss of your seat and the wipe-out of the Tory party.
Volte faces will become pandemic when TBP win Peterborough by a landslide.

The backsliding will be quite spectacular.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Approx £7k a year pension contributions ?

Is that this massive Academic pension you were boasting about.

Oh my. You are in for one hellava shock.
Yep - to have a retirement income of £1,000 a year, you need to put £25,000 in your pension pot.

I'm glad to say I substantially outrank the ordinary_crustacean in the pension world.

Wordsmith :smile:

Approx £7k a year pension contributions ?

Is that this massive Academic pension you were boasting about.

Oh my. You are in for one hellava shock.

11.5k in the first year. Regardless of scheme - USS or TPS - about 25 percent goes in the pot each month. Fifteen percent employer and ten employee. Obviously goes up as people progress in their career...

As I've said before, the driver for the EU is the euro, which has structural flaws that may well cause it to collapse in the next recession. To avoid that collapse it needs:
  1. National budgets and economic macro-policy centrally set in Brussels
  2. A means of punishing nations that don't conform to (1)
  3. A transfer of wealth from richer to poorer regions of the EU.
That program cannot be carried out except by stealth - imagine the outcry (for example) in Germany if they are told they are going to run a more expansionist budget to reduce their trade surplus with other members of the EU and that large sums of German tax payers money are to be sent to Club Med.

Hence EU policy which is to:
  1. Transfer as much power from nation states to Brussels as possible
  2. Remove national vetos by as much use of QMV as possible
  3. Try and break up the EU into regions, thus weakening the powers of the nation states.
  4. Use structural funding as a way of transferring wealth from richer regions to poorer ones
  5. Use stealth as much as possible to avoid electorates becoming aware of what is going on.
  6. Use the 'frog boiling to death' strategy in the hopes that electorates won't notice what is going on - many small changes rather than a few big ones.
Unfortunately, electorates have noticed what is going on, hence the rise of the populist parties. And this is the reason why the EU's attempt to move towards further political and financial integration is destined fail - as is the euro.

Wordsmith
I don't think electorates have noticed, in anything like enough numbers to stop them. Also don't forget many actually want further integration and believe in the project, or at least the propagandised version of what the EU is.

My view is many in the EU itself, don't really know what they want if they ever get their wish.. My guess would be the day after the EU morphs into a sovereign state, the loss of impetus will see the union take itself down a very dark path.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
On a serious note, though, the pay is abysmal for such a highly skilled job.
Cheap for packing Left Wing stuff into gullible young heads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads