Brexit - The Final

A good piece by Andrew Rawnsley; some food for thought in there:

The middle ground no longer exists over Brexit. It’s all or nothing now | Andrew Rawnsley

A good comment below the article too:

So after years of negotiating, weare back to where we started; in or out. Of course May should have sought a cross-party consensus from the get-go. However, this entire process has been overshadowed by our 2 main parties keeping 1 eye on Brexit and 1 on electioneering. I hate the expression 'binary choice' but Labour need to back remain and make it so. May has had a terible track record in politics and her legacy is one of failure. Corbyn has always been an idealist and Brexit has exposed him as the wrong man at the wrong time. What beckons is a Farage landslide, Boris leading the Tories and the point in time when Labour has to collectively jump off the fence. Sometimes in life the choice is between backing a horse with 3 legs or crow with a broken wing but the choice must be made. I'm guessing people hate no deal Brexit more than they hate Remain, so in the end we will sort of remain. One thing i'm not guessing about is that everyone hates May's deal and she has proven to be hopelessly incompetent but stubborn to the point of Cersei Lannister who watched from her tower as Dani torched her city and ultimately her. Just about everyone got knocked off in G o T and I think that's what might happen to many of the faces in our current parliament.

A good piece by Andrew Rawnsley; some food for thought in there:

The middle ground no longer exists over Brexit. It’s all or nothing now | Andrew Rawnsley

A good comment below the article too:

So after years of negotiating, weare back to where we started; in or out. Of course May should have sought a cross-party consensus from the get-go. However, this entire process has been overshadowed by our 2 main parties keeping 1 eye on Brexit and 1 on electioneering. I hate the expression 'binary choice' but Labour need to back remain and make it so. May has had a terible track record in politics and her legacy is one of failure. Corbyn has always been an idealist and Brexit has exposed him as the wrong man at the wrong time. What beckons is a Farage landslide, Boris leading the Tories and the point in time when Labour has to collectively jump off the fence. Sometimes in life the choice is between backing a horse with 3 legs or crow with a broken wing but the choice must be made. I'm guessing people hate no deal Brexit more than they hate Remain, so in the end we will sort of remain. One thing i'm not guessing about is that everyone hates May's deal and she has proven to be hopelessly incompetent but stubborn to the point of Cersei Lannister who watched from her tower as Dani torched her city and ultimately her. Just about everyone got knocked off in G o T and I think that's what might happen to many of the faces in our current parliament.
My bold.
This is a barney bluffer remainer writing.
I don't need no stinking 'compromise'......we didn't in 1975 and had to wait 40+ years to vote it out.

My bold.
This is a barney bluffer remainer writing.
I don't need no stinking 'compromise'......we didn't in 1975 and had to wait 40+ years to vote it out.
I suspect that the vote breaks down in the following proportions: 1/3 Remain, 1/3 Leave (EEA/WA/FTA), 1/3 leave (No Deal). I voted Leave in the full knowledge that the Treaties would cease to apply, but I am firmly of the view that we should leave with a deal (my preference would be a Canada-style FTA).

Another couple of Junckerisms.
On the Euro and finance

'When it becomes serious, you have to lie'

At the NATO conference

"I am a martyr to me sciatica, I wasn't arseholed at all !"

* I may have slightly adjusted that second one but you know what I mean anyway
It's a variation on a theme, but seriously-who do they lie to. Certainly not to the people they never see- like the public. The lie in European Politics was always pragmatism, a bit of subterfuge and broad non committal statements.

Bismarck said, "The Politician has not to revenge what has happened but to ensure that it does not happen again"

He also said "Whoever speaks of Europe is wrong, It is a Geographical concept."

More tellingly "I have always found the word Europe on the lips of those politicians who wanted something from the other powers which they dared not demand in their own names."
and so it has proved, it is exactly how Europe works. Ironically that latter was a reported statement to Russian Chancellor Gorchakov, who had urged that a rising in Bosnia in 1878 was a European rather than German or Russian question. Russia being, well, Russia! no change there then.

I read it - laughed and dismissed it as a pseudo-academic piece of bullshit wrapped up in big words with a plethora of 'references' which are probably completely irrelevant (No - I did not check out the referencing - I have a life).

It appears to be a piece about applying AI to categorising Twitter posts as (simplistically) Trump or anti-Trump. It reached no definitive conclusion apart from 'count the hashtags'. RTFT (Read The F*cking Tweet) would be a much more reliable indicator than capital letters, commas etc..

Then you should re-read it. They actually had around 8000 tweets in the data set. And simplistic is a strange way to describe binary classification.

No definitive conclusion? They showed they could
correctly classify the author of the tweet with 78 percent accuracy.

That’s exciting.

Last edited:
If you believed in brexit propaganda and lies without doing proper research to verify the claims then you are guilty not only of stupidity but much worse. Now a group of deluded freaks seek to destroy our relationship with Europe and send us back forty years. They are the people that you will identify with... You would feel embarrassed or ashamed if you had sufficient intelligence.

If you believed in brexit propaganda and lies without doing proper research to verify the claims then you are guilty not only of stupidity but much worse. Now a group of deluded freaks seek to destroy our relationship with Europe and send us back forty years. They are the people that you will identify with... You would feel embarrassed or ashamed if you had sufficient intelligence.
You really are a fool of a Took, but what about those of us, who didn’t bother about the advertising that see it for the lie it is. Where does that leave your ilk that have their feathered nest overturned . You have me on ignore, which is fine because you don’t have to bother yourself with the questions that matter.

What ‘relationship with Europe’?

I agree. These are all excellent reasons for removing EC influence from the UK management system. As small and ineffective as it is now, the government will have to re learn how to run a sovereign state.
Not sure of you point and I don't think you are. None of post you quoted refers to UK internal matters.

What about those of us, who had made up our minds to leave the EU, long before the referendum campaign?

We live in very interesting times.

Both a blessing and a curse.