Brexit - The Betrayal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I was really thinking about social media coverage, but I suppose that this is often driven by the print media.

I certainly agree with your second paragraph - newspapers are very keen to please their advertisers. There is some suggestion that the Daily Mail's 'stutter' in its pro-Brexit coverage when Geordie Greig took over as editor was because the paper was concerned at how the advertisers felt about leaving the EU.

I can't agree with you that the (print) media is all pro remain - in fact if it were, then there would not have been any space in the market for the pro-remain weekly 'The New European'. The Guardian is the only unambiguously remain leaning general newspaper. I say 'general' because I suppose you could also put the FT in that category.

Given that position, surely the leave leading papers should be promoting the benefits of leaving rather than simply rubbishing the EU. After all being in the EU is the status quo, surely the onus on people promoting leaving is to demonstrate how things are going to be at least as good, if not better after the UK leaves?

I just think it is interesting that I see a lot of negative stuff about the EU but very little about what the benefits of Brexit are going to be.
The Independent is very pro Remain as is the 'i' . On a local basis the three main newspapers in Scotland are now Remain The Herald, Scotsman and The Record.

The Evening Standard which although a London paper is an influential paper is Remain.

It is a lot easier to look for Remain backing media sources (much longer list) than it is to find Brexit backing ones(very short list).

I suspect there will be a change in tone once Brexit happens.

Le_Jaq

Swinger
The Independent is very pro Remain as is the 'i' . On a local basis the three main newspapers in Scotland are now Remain The Herald, Scotsman and The Record.

The Evening Standard which although a London paper is an influential paper is Remain.

It is a lot easier to look for Remain backing media sources (much longer list) than it is to find Brexit backing ones(very short list).

I suspect there will be a change in tone once Brexit happens.
I'm sorry, I thought that we were discussing national newspapers.

It seems entirely reasonable to me that newspapers in Scotland would be pro-remain given that is how the country voted.

I would agree that the Standard has a large readership, but I'm not sure it is terribly influential. Besides, given that London voted for remain it is not surprising that it has maintained a position that reflects the views of its readers.

I'm sorry, I thought that we were discussing national newspapers.

It seems entirely reasonable to me that newspapers in Scotland would be pro-remain given that is how the country voted.

I would agree that the Standard has a large readership, but I'm not sure it is terribly influential. Besides, given that London voted for remain it is not surprising that it has maintained a position that reflects the views of its readers.
1570330053980.png
Ze UK ist kaput? Ja? har har har.

Ich bin weg in die Kneipe (again) ;)

Nick Boles typifies MP's betrayal of the people and their contempt for democracy

At least the devious **£$%’s acknowledge the popular vote is for the man who passionately has been pushing for LEAVE...NOW!

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'll just leave this here. How do people elect creatures that give their offspring names like Theodore Aphege ? Come to that, the very thought of that creature in the process of procreation makes me cringe, and I've seen some pretty horrible things....

edited to add this....

Last edited:

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
And it is a betrayal. Boris's deal is no better than the traitor May's. A militarily defeated nation would be granted more favourable terms than the Boris Betrayal. Parliament will not be sovereign, we don't get our fisheries back, UK to be bound by EU foreign policy agreements with no input, independent military action would not be permitted, and we would still be liable for £500bn to the EU investment bank, and so on and so on. I think Letwin did us all a favour. It's got to be no deal.

I think what this needs is for a member of the public to apply to make a speech/address parliament if it is allowed.

Get someone up there and tell the bastards that a vote was taken, the majority want to leave the EU and unless parliament carries out the wish of the people, a few fair few of the honourable members here today will be looking for a new job come the next election.

Imagine the press coverage that might get.

Awol

LE
And it is a betrayal. Boris's deal is no better than the traitor May's. A militarily defeated nation would be granted more favourable terms than the Boris Betrayal. Parliament will not be sovereign, we don't get our fisheries back, UK to be bound by EU foreign policy agreements with no input, independent military action would not be permitted, and we would still be liable for £500bn to the EU investment bank, and so on and so on. I think Letwin did us all a favour. It's got to be no deal.
You think Boris didn't anticipate that?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope Boris knows that, and is playing a long game which means leaving with 'no deal' (apart from all the detailed stuff that's been agreed already) on 31st.

I still hope he's playing it this way as it's the only way to ensure that outcome.

Last edited:
We voted leave.
Those politicians that have gone against the will of the people should hang.

No ifs or buts they are traitors to this country and its people.

I hope Boris knows that, and is playing a long game which means leaving with 'no deal's (apart from all the detailed stuff that's been agreed already) on 31st.

I still hope he's playing it this way as it's the only way to ensure that outcome.
I can't see him blinking first.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
The minute anyone uses the words 'traitor' or 'treason'about Brexit I know it's time to make soothing noises and back away quickly...
I absolutely see your point and generally agree. However, if you were to rewind history, Lord Haw Haw was executed for broadcasting propaganda for the Germans. These days, Corbyn does the same and is the leader of the opposition.

You have a majority of parliament who are dedicated to frustrating the people's will, a mandate that was granted by the former PM, David Cameron, with no provisos or conditions and a promise that it would've been abided by.

PMTM confirmed that she would also abide by the referendum and implement Brexit. Her plan was abhorrent to anyone who had any pride in their home country. Giving over everything to Europe, payment without representation being just one of the concessions.

People were hanged for giving succour to a foreign state in the past but that's exactly what's happening here. The only difference is that we have "moved on" and become more "enlightened."

MPs want to concede ownership of this country, turning it into an EU vassal state. Indeed, it's been caught on camera that's exactly what the EU want to do to their number 2 contributor.

So why has GB fought so many wars, including everyone's favourite WW2, where we faced a direct threat to our way of life, just to give the EU everything on a plate, with no blood shed?

TL:DR - A century ago, MPs would've been hung as traitors for what they're doing now. So whilst it sounds strong, technically, "traitor" is accurate.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Fair comment, but why then, when we set out to achieve a BREXIT that left UK able to trade freely in the world and limit gratuitous EU immigration, did we end up with a WA so apparently bad that it crashed and burned three times in the Commons by large margins?

And if it proved so difficult to pass in the Commons, why has Brussels remained so dogmatic that the WA cannot be altered? From your analysis, I'd have expected them to be more flexible.
Because they have the chance to assimilate us as a EU vassal state, without a shot being fired. The WA is a complete surrender document and for all their faults, at least the Remain portion of Parliament saw it for what it was.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
The Telegraph has not been as right wing for some time now and has been reporting negative stories on Brexit. Mail and the Sun have been following their normal route but the Mail has not been behind Brexit at all - the Sun is. The Express is probably the only newspaper that has consistently reported positively on Brexit and is the reason that BL continues to denigrate it, regardless of story. As I said 'almost' to a man and as for the TV media, well the BBC, Britain's major news site has been openly anti Brexit, along with its sister broadcasters Sky & ITV. It is noteworthy that some have said that the place they get an unbiased pov is on the English version of France 24.

Now, if you think that the British media is pro Brexit, even neutral, in any way then by all means put up your evidence.
You can add Channel 4 to that list, violently anti-Brexit as they are. Uncontested "opinion" pieces on every program from "The Last Leg" to "Gogglebox," every mention of BoJo or Brexit is routinely derided, with no contesting viewpoint even given. No pro-Brexit faces even appear on the show, let alone be allowed to speak.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I think what this needs is for a member of the public to apply to make a speech/address parliament if it is allowed.

Get someone up there and tell the bastards that a vote was taken, the majority want to leave the EU and unless parliament carries out the wish of the people, a few fair few of the honourable members here today will be looking for a new job come the next election.

Imagine the press coverage that might get.
None.

I absolutely see your point and generally agree. However, if you were to rewind history, Lord Haw Haw was executed for broadcasting propaganda for the Germans. These days, Corbyn does the same and is the leader of the opposition.

You have a majority of parliament who are dedicated to frustrating the people's will, a mandate that was granted by the former PM, David Cameron, with no provisos or conditions and a promise that it would've been abided by.

PMTM confirmed that she would also abide by the referendum and implement Brexit. Her plan was abhorrent to anyone who had any pride in their home country. Giving over everything to Europe, payment without representation being just one of the concessions.

People were hanged for giving succour to a foreign state in the past but that's exactly what's happening here. The only difference is that we have "moved on" and become more "enlightened."

MPs want to concede ownership of this country, turning it into an EU vassal state. Indeed, it's been caught on camera that's exactly what the EU want to do to their number 2 contributor.

So why has GB fought so many wars, including everyone's favourite WW2, where we faced a direct threat to our way of life, just to give the EU everything on a plate, with no blood shed?

TL:DR - A century ago, MPs would've been hung as traitors for what they're doing now. So whilst it sounds strong, technically, "traitor" is accurate.
I put it that covert payments from the EU and/or George Soros to the traitor MPs and others, a.k.a Tony Blair and John Major has been going on for a while to facilitate Britain's capitulation to the Fourth Reich (officially known as the EU Commission).

I put it that covert payments from the EU and/or George Soros to the traitor MPs and others, a.k.a Tony Blair and John Major has been going on for a while to facilitate Britain's capitulation to the Fourth Reich (officially known as the EU Commission).
If you are blaming Blair, Major etc might as well throw in some Lib Dems in there to make the pot complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads