Brexit Successes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear god this thread is just the same as the other brexit thread haunted by the same remainers , its Groundhog Day
I'm seeking input from those who feel there have been tangible benefits from Brexit.

It's an opportunity to bring those benefits to our attention.

The tsunami is notably absent.

We could have, but whether we would have is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Had we still been in the EU we would have been under much pressure to go in with their vaccine procurement scheme etc.
I think this is key. Yes, under the 2012 regs we could have responded in the same manner if we had been an EU member - but there would likely have been heavy leaning on us to fall into line.

However, that is what ifs/ buts/ maybes either way.

Tell us what you think are the benefits stemming from us leaving, and stop trying to score points.

Well we weren’t forced into the EUs vaccine procurement project, i know we would have HAD to join, be we all know that we would have.

We aren’t going to be left picking up the tab for all the bail outs that are going to be on the cards for the EU, that’s another bonus.

Thanks to the trade deal with Japan I am now able to get stuff from over there cheaper.

Obviously there are some issues, importing some stuff from Europe is now more expensive.

I think this is key. Yes, under the 2012 regs we could have responded in the same manner if we had been an EU member - but there would likely have been heavy leaning on us to fall into line.

However, that is what ifs/ buts/ maybes either way.
True, I’m sure I remember people screaming about it last year demanding that we joined the EU scheme.

Of course if the referendum had resulted in us remaining things would be hugely different. Cameron wouldn’t have resigned, so probably no Theresa May and definitely no Boris Johnson. We might have even ended up with Jeremy Corbyn as PM.

Actingunpaid

War Hero
Not having the EU claiming to build things with 'EU funding' when it was our money in the first place. The open debate in the media about that showed what a bunch of con-men Europhiles are.

Well we weren’t forced into the EUs vaccine procurement project, i know we would have HAD to join, be we all know that we would have.

We aren’t going to be left picking up the tab for all the bail outs that are going to be on the cards for the EU, that’s another bonus.

Thanks to the trade deal with Japan I am now able to get stuff from over there cheaper.

Obviously there are some issues, importing some stuff from Europe is now more expensive.
Thank you, that's actually the exact input I was looking for.

I disagree with some of your points but thanks for a sensible reply.

auggie rock

Old-Salt
If you really want tangible answers I've got one that is little known but has made a huge difference in immigration circles. Under our EU membership we were beholden to some pretty harsh (potentially racist) policy regarding the comparative treatment of non-EU spouses wishing to live in the uk. Briefly, if a uk citizen had a non-EU spouse (typically a Pakistani or Indian national) and wanted them to come to the UK to live then all kinds of checks had to be made (understandably) which was costlytothe applicant but reduced immigration fraud.. However, a non-British EU citizen could bring their non-EU spouse (typically an Albanian) to the UK with no tangible checks at all. The non-EU spouse was then automatically given permanent leave to remain under the EU scheme, access uk "public funds", and were then allowed to bring all of their family and anyone else they could argue was "dependent" on them. Each of these people would also be granted permanent leave to remain under the scheme. It was an absolute scroungers charter and hugely abused. Nobody knows how many people became British residents under the scheme but it took place many times a day at every port and airport. That has now gone.

The PIIGS issues haven't gone away - arguably they're worse, just masked by the pandemic.
I haven't got the exact figures but it was something like Greece was in debt or around 300 billion at the height of the financial crisis, thanks to the swift help of the EU, add taxes cuts in benefits etc they have managed to reduce the debt to around 400 billion.

That actually works both ways.

It's not been as bad as I feared, but it's early days and the full impact of Brexit, in either direction has yet to be seen.
I seem to remember the remain camp droning on about flights to the Europe, trade with Europe and Brits living in Europe all stopping, its not happened and its unlikely to happen in the future.

It must've been done already:

3a.jpg

Doesn't really seem worth it for that.

I would be genuinely interested in a sensible, positive thread about the positives that have come out of Brexit - I know that many have been mentioned in some of the other threads, but it would be good to see a consolidated list.
Well what is your perspective of Brexit so far?

endure

GCM
Well what is your perspective of Brexit so far?
Some bits good some bits bad. I used to be able to buy a case (12 bottles) of Porto 6 red wine direct from Portugal for £48. Now it's cheaper to go into my local supermarket and pay £7.50 a bottle (£90 a case) for the same thing...

Dear god this thread is just the same as the other brexit thread haunted by the same remainers , its Groundhog Day
I'm just hoping to see those who think there are benefits from us leaving, telling us what those benefits are

Their reticence to contribute is notable.

I seem to remember the remain camp droning on about flights to the Europe, trade with Europe and Brits living in Europe all stopping, its not happened and its unlikely to happen in the future.
Nothing to do with Brexit successes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads