Brexit Successes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than I expected, worse than I hoped - however, that's with the massive caveat that due to the pandemic, its pretty much impossible to separate out a lot of the issues, or how they would have been better/worse without Covid.
Brexit has been a case study to follow. Especially these days over here in the Republic.

I always find it interesting that a large proportion of people on this forum served in Germany and loved there time there, yet became rabid anti EU as soon as Brexit kicked off.
I love Germany hate the EU. That's it.

Most of us never had a problem when it was just trading with each other.

The whole focus on "what are the benefits / successes" by various Remainers simply marks them out as having a very selfish attitude to life.
The many vocal Leave people here constantly tell us how Brexit is great.

Asking for details really is not a sign of a selfish attitude to life.

Strange comment.

If the EEC had stuck to being a trading bloc, with normalised taxation/tariffs/standards between members, then that would have been a very good thing. But things like Maastricht brought ever closer political union, and that’s where it went south.

In the US, we have “pork barrel politics”. What is good for one state is perhaps damaging to another. The politicians of course promote their constituents’ interests. It’s just the same in the EU. The economies of some states (notably France and Spain) are heavily reliant on agriculture, where in others (UK (formerly), Netherlands), the agriculture contribution to the economy is low single digits in percentage terms. Thus a political initiative that benefits agriculture is obviously going to be popular in France, and is just a millstone in Holland.

Countries such as Germany that are heavily industrialised and have a high income/high taxation type of economy are always going to have different interests to those that are less industrialized and have lower incomes, but lower taxation. A Dane might not care about another percent on his income tax, but a Croat or Portuguese might, as the average salaries are very different.

I think the political union aspect of the EU is doomed to failure, and the UK will be a degree removed from the damage when there is simply no money left for the Germanys of the EU to prevent bankruptcy of the Greeces. Having the Euro as a common currency is fine and dandy for buying your duty frees at the airport, but when Italy needs to hike interest rates to defeat inflation, and simultaneously say Ireland has a bad unemployment problem, the last thing they need is to hike interest rates. Yet that’s one of the only measures open to the ECB to control inflation. Either the Italians‘ inflation goes through the roof, or the Irish lose more jobs, or in reality, both.

The many vocal Leave people here constantly tell us how Brexit is great.

Asking for details really is not a sign of a selfish attitude to life.

Strange comment.
They do? It seems to me you continually demand others tell you why Brexit is great.

That's a little vague.

It's not really, it's quite tangible, it's 10 billion a year we don't have to give to other countries to bribe them to remain in a trading club...

Anecdotally, can't remember where I read it, they reckon that t h e bill would have been closer to 18 billion for 2022...

JB

If the EEC had stuck to being a trading bloc, with normalised taxation/tariffs/standards between members, then that would have been a very good thing. But things like Maastricht brought ever closer political union, and that’s where it went south.

In the US, we have “pork barrel politics”. What is good for one state is perhaps damaging to another. The politicians of course promote their constituents’ interests. It’s just the same in the EU. The economies of some states (notably France and Spain) are heavily reliant on agriculture, where in others (UK (formerly), Netherlands), the agriculture contribution to the economy is low single digits in percentage terms. Thus a political initiative that benefits agriculture is obviously going to be popular in France, and is just a millstone in Holland.

Countries such as Germany that are heavily industrialised and have a high income/high taxation type of economy are always going to have different interests to those that are less industrialized and have lower incomes, but lower taxation. A Dane might not care about another percent on his income tax, but a Croat or Portuguese might, as the average salaries are very different.

I think the political union aspect of the EU is doomed to failure, and the UK will be a degree removed from the damage when there is simply no money left for the Germanys of the EU to prevent bankruptcy of the Greeces. Having the Euro as a common currency is fine and dandy for buying your duty frees at the airport, but when Italy needs to hike interest rates to defeat inflation, and simultaneously say Ireland has a bad unemployment problem, the last thing they need is to hike interest rates. Yet that’s one of the only measures open to the ECB to control inflation. Either the Italians‘ inflation goes through the roof, or the Irish lose more jobs, or in reality, both.
Thank you! Seems it takes an ex-pat to write a 'sensible' answer.
Maybe the EU could examine the USA more closely for techniques to cope with same currency, different rates of employment, welfare, weather etc (genuinely. I'm no politician or economist!)

Thank you! Seems it takes an ex-pat to write a 'sensible' answer.
Maybe the EU could examine the USA more closely for techniques to cope with same currency, different rates of employment, welfare, weather etc (genuinely. I'm no politician or economist!)
The EU will just cherry pick data from some administrations and ignore others to make their points.

My state is suffering from 7.7 percent inflation. Domestic unity with DC is at a low point. But these facts are overlooked by DC and Brussels would do the same. Germany comes first everybody else is fighting fir second place.

The UK is a case study on how to conduct a civil divorce with a larger entity. The difference being that the US would have several states going at once, should the eject handle be grasped.

I think the political union aspect of the EU is doomed to failure

Debt will be the undoing of the Euro, hence the EU, wise financial heads during the financial crisis explained that a debt to GDP of over 130% was untenable, hence the bailouts and financial haircuts across the PIIGS.

Debt in Greece is now 205%, Portugal 134%, Spain 120%, Italy 156%, remember Italy's economy is to big to bail.

All of this and (the convicted financial) Criminal Lagarde in charge of the ECB.

What could possibly go wrong?...

JB

Debt will be the undoing of the Euro, hence the EU, wise financial heads during the financial crisis explained that a debt to GDP of over 130% was untenable, hence the bailouts and financial haircuts across the PIIGS.

Debt in Greece is now 205%, Portugal 134%, Spain 120%, Italy 156%, remember Italy's economy is to big to bail.

All of this and (the convicted financial) Criminal Lagarde in charge of the ECB.

What could possibly go wrong?...

JB

Erm, just one degree of separation from the EU, from the UK’s perspective.

Canada’s economy isn’t going to go tits (as an example) if the EU goes south. But the UK’s might suffer some more degradation.

That’s a fair point. So it was the desire for sovereignty and the taking back control part that appealed to you rather than how things would get better ?
Yep.

I always find it interesting that a large proportion of people on this forum served in Germany and loved there time there,
Never served in Germany, but I'm sure I would have loved it if I had.

yet became rabid anti EU as soon as Brexit kicked off.
I became rabid about the EU long before Brexit, my reason for voting to leave. They were growing from what we joined, EEC, getting larger and less accountable to the people they were supposed to be representing. I can't remember if it was 22 or 23 years the auditors refused to sign off the books, as the figures didn't match up.
The EEC was a good idea, not so the EU. As others have stated, I have no problem with any of the peoples of Europe, *even the French, but wouldn't piss on any EU MP, or it's buildings if they were on fire.

* I didn't say that, honestly.
ETA Spelling.

Last edited:
The UK is a case study on how to conduct a civil divorce with a larger entity. The difference being that the US would have several states going at once, should the eject handle be grasped.

Can a state leave the Union? How would it come about?

Erm, just one degree of separation from the EU, from the UK’s perspective.

Canada’s economy isn’t going to go tits (as an example) if the EU goes south. But the UK’s might suffer some more degradation.

I agree there will be pain all round, but I think the UK always had a degree of separation by retaining our own currency. We have gained a further degree by leaving the EU and being outwith the treaties...

JB

Can a state leave the Union? How would it come about?

California get voted out by the rest for being cxxnts :)

Edited to add more serious point: There is nothing in the Constitution about the right of states to secede. Last time it was tried in earnest, it caused a Civil War.

UK trade deals?

You sure about that?
Yes.

"Before Brexit, the UK was automatically part of any trade deal the EU had negotiated with another country. At the time the UK left, the EU had about 40 trade deals covering more than 70 countries.
The UK has negotiated rollover deals with 63 of these countries."

Deals made which were costing us £10 billion a year for the privilege of EU membership now rolled over and free.

This is like paying for a Sky subscription, leaving Sky and still getting the channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads