Brexit Schadenfreude; "I didn't realise THAT would happen when I voted Leave..."

Tell us, oh wise one...

Cameron: EU referendum is a 'once in a generation' decision - Politics live

Osborne: EU vote 'once in a lifetime'

[Ticker] EU referendum is once in a lifetime, Cameron says

Boris Johnson: Referendum is once in a lifetime chance to change relations with Europe

Alex Salmond accused of rewriting history after he denies 'once in a lifetime' referendum pledge

They certainly seemed to be singing from the same hymn sheet back in the day. No mention of equivocation or "backsies" when those plebian scum go off the reservation and ruin everything.

Indeed, if we go by your somewhat over-egged leading sentence, we should leave with no deal and Remainers can wait forty years for their chance have a vote to rejoin whatever smoking, cratered landscape remains east of Calais.

I'd buy that for a pound sterling.
Ahahahaha - you believe what politicians say?

Did you also believe TM when she said “No early General Election” or when she said “We will Leave the EU on 29 Mar”?

If so, I have a bridge you may very well like to buy.

I have studied Nazi Germany at some length.
I have visited Belsen.
Half of the people I work with are immigrants.
I am not a racist or a fascist or a Nazi.
I voted leave.
My final comment,don't bother answering I will not reply.
Good for you.

Your virtue signalling is a joy to behold.

1556645677927.png

And apparently having a point of view that IS leave,is the mark of a racist/fascist/Nazi.
Hardly. There are plenty who voted "Leave" because they disagree in principle with ever-closer union, and don't want to risk a future UK Govt using the UK veto (in their view) appropriately. There are plenty who encounter resource shortages at the point of contact with local government, and believe that this is planning failure due to immigration [1], rather than any central government failure to supply adequate resources.

There are also people who are small-c-conservative; they aren't too comfortable with how the world has changed. How they get told that they shouldn't say the things they grew up saying. You know, things they laughed at on TV like "The Black and White Minstrel Show", or "Love Thy Neighbour". As far as they're concerned, they're just saying how the world is, and unsurprisingly they get offended if you suggest that they're racist...[2]

So, no - at least, no-one with a brain is making such sweeping statements. It does make for a nice strawman, though.

There are also British Exceptionalists who disagree with immigration, because people-of-colour-and-Jews-and-Muslims. British Nationalists, if you like. These (BNP, EDL, NA, etc) are the racists and Nazis. Unsurprisingly, they support Brexit, because it fits in with their ideals.

There are even people who can't quite get the difference between "hating the current policies of the government of Israel" (legitimate) and "hating Israelis" (racism) [3]. These people might well have voted Remain, because they are so Woke and so Right-On-Brother. They might be on the left, or even centrists. But once they "blame the Jews", they're racist too...

[1] This may or may not be fuelled by twenty years of Daily Mail headlines screeching about "hordes" and "swarms" of immigrants, all coming here to both steal our jobs, and to live an idle life by claiming benefits...

[2] And they might not be. That's not to say that when some start claiming that "they" are going to take over (or that "they" already have, because they own the banks and run the media), perhaps because "they" breed like (insert animal here); or how we'll all be living under Sharia Law... sorry, bad news, they're racist.

[3] On both sides. Claiming that disagreement with West Bank Settlements equates to antisemitism, is bollocks. But it isn't commonplace, and it tends to be the act of Nationalists. PS, Israel has Nationalists, too... and strangely, even a few Nazis...

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Spain has banned him from standing, not the EU.
He is not currently living in Spain and, funnily enough, I couldn't stand for a UK MEP seat as I don't currently live in UK.
Could it be that serving MEP's are exempt from arrest?

If so , then were Puig de Montt to be elected, the Spanish government would have to withdraw the arrest warrant .

So no wonder they don't want him to stand.

some old stuff about touts
The remarks quoted by the Hon & Gallant Member for Disfunction Junction have, I regret to say, been mis-attributed by Hansard.

Last edited:
Hardly. There are plenty who voted "Leave" because they disagree in principle with ever-closer union, and don't want to risk a future UK Govt using the UK veto (in their view) appropriately. There are plenty who encounter resource shortages at the point of contact with local government, and believe that this is planning failure due to immigration [1], rather than any central government failure to supply adequate resources.

There are also people who are small-c-conservative; they aren't too comfortable with how the world has changed. How they get told that they shouldn't say the things they grew up saying. You know, things they laughed at on TV like "The Black and White Minstrel Show", or "Love Thy Neighbour". As far as they're concerned, they're just saying how the world is, and unsurprisingly they get offended if you suggest that they're racist...[2]

So, no - at least, no-one with a brain is making such sweeping statements. It does make for a nice strawman, though.

There are also British Exceptionalists who disagree with immigration, because people-of-colour-and-Jews-and-Muslims. British Nationalists, if you like. These (BNP, EDL, NA, etc) are the racists and Nazis. Unsurprisingly, they support Brexit, because it fits in with their ideals.

There are even people who can't quite get the difference between "hating the current policies of the government of Israel" (legitimate) and "hating Israelis" (racism) [3]. These people might well have voted Remain, because they are so Woke and so Right-On-Brother. They might be on the left, or even centrists. But once they "blame the Jews", they're racist too...

[1] This may or may not be fuelled by twenty years of Daily Mail headlines screeching about "hordes" and "swarms" of immigrants, all coming here to both steal our jobs, and to live an idle life by claiming benefits...

[2] And they might not be. That's not to say that when some start claiming that "they" are going to take over (or that "they" already have, because they own the banks and run the media), perhaps because "they" breed like (insert animal here); or how we'll all be living under Sharia Law... sorry, bad news, they're racist.

[3] On both sides. Claiming that disagreement with West Bank Settlements equates to antisemitism, is bollocks. But it isn't commonplace, and it tends to be the act of Nationalists. PS, Israel has Nationalists, too... and strangely, even a few Nazis...
A very sensible summary, if I may say. Of course, most rational and genuine posters on here realise this to one degree or another.

One of my biggest regrets with ARRSE is that it has become a site of choice for a growing number of shills and trolls, at least some paid per post, due to the reputation it established in the media as a "go to" site for military informed opinion during the early 2000s.

Which is a pity, as when on form, there are some really informative discussions on here. CA in particular is still an excellent way to get a quick handle on a developing situation. Also, it is worth noting that the rapid arrival of the usual troll suspects normally indicates when the discussion threatens someone's vested interests.....

Last edited:
Puzzlingly for some, a lot of Labour supporters vote remain and they're infested with racists and anti-Semites
Dont think anyone is puzzled by that at all.
The same can be said for just about any cohort of people.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 20957
L Brexit 51
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 142