Brexit Schadenfreude; "I didn't realise THAT would happen when I voted Leave..."

A lot of the big farms are now owned indirectly by major supermarkets , they are not traditional family farms and are driven purely by profit , cheap European labour has made a lot of them millions , the golden time may be over for them, food prices may rise but its at its cheapest ever , as I`ve said before the there is good reason many Brits wont do the work due to the current terms and conditions .

A very large farm I know of had upto 1k field workers at peak season , 98% of the field/warehouse were migrants , heres how it worked/was enforced.
  • All field workers had to live on site in caravans.
  • Rent was charged and gas for heating was billed.(deducted from your pay at source)
  • You dont choose who you live with.
  • No family members are allowed on site.
  • Unofficially you have to do 20+ hours over time
  • All work is piece work , if you dont pick enough to make minimum wage its goodbye.
  • If you are regularly ill you are fired and kicked out of your caravan.
  • Personal vehicles could not be used for getting to the field , they had to go on the farm bus .
On rare occasions Brits turned up and were prepared to put up with the BS above but were bullied out of their jobs by migrant workers.
The farm directors and managers would always spout some workers are are on £16.00ph and they couldn't understand why Brits wouldn't do it , reality was one or two with Olympic fitness levels managed that wage figure on rare occasions ,as mentioned all pay was piece work and most barely exceeded UK minimum wage.

Not too difficult to see why Brits wont do it under those conditions , Europeans who will work under the above conditions are the cause of poor pay in agriculture and have created a backwards step with regards to pay and conditions.

Last edited:
Only for 5 years, or less....
Could it be that the money poured into the NHS is not used wisely?
Maybe a review of how they spend what is already received would be advantageous?

Perhaps we didn't have (so many) bed shortages in days of yore. Then again there are a lot more treatments and procedures available now compared to 15/20 years ago.
Perhaps if we spent the money on running the health service rather than on endless reviews and re-structuring things would be marginally better. The amount of hated manager’s time wasted on answering bone FOIs about where the money goes, or reapplying for their own jobs in newly reorganised trusts would save a ton of cash for starters.

One reason there weren’t as many bed shortages 15/20 years ago was because we had more hospitals. We allowed successive governments to close them and sell off the estate in the name of efficiency savings.

A lot of the big farms are now owned indirectly by major supermarkets , they are not traditional family farms and are driven purely by profit , cheap European labour has made a lot of them millions , the golden time may be over for them, food prices may rise but its at its cheapest ever , as I`ve said before the there is good reason many Brits wont do the work due to the current terms and conditions .

A very large farm I know of had upto 1k field workers at peak season , 98% of the field/warehouse were migrants , heres how it worked/was enforced.
  • All field workers had to live on site in caravans.
  • Rent was charged and gas for heating was billed.(deducted from your pay at source)
  • You dont choose who you live with.
  • No family members are allowed on site.
  • Unofficially you have to do 20+ hours over time
  • All work is piece work , if you dont pick enough to make minimum wage its goodbye.
  • If you are regularly ill you are fired and kicked out of your caravan.
  • Personal vehicles could not be used for getting to the field , they had to go on the farm bus .
On rare occasions Brits turned up and were prepared to put up with the BS above but were bullied out of their jobs by migrant workers.
The farm directors and managers would always spout some workers are are on £16.00ph and they couldn't understand why Brits wouldn't do it , reality was one or two with Olympic fitness levels managed that wage figure on rare occasions ,as mentioned all pay was piece work and most barely exceeded UK minimum wage.

Not too difficult to see why Brits wont do it under those conditions , Europeans who will work under the above conditions are the cause of poor pay in agriculture and have created a backwards step with regards to pay and conditions.

Not much changed since I was involved then.... got worse, if anything.

The basic driver of this is disparities between Eastern European costs of living and ours.

Young Slovaks etc will stick the RIP off conditions our noble farmers impose because the numbers work.

For anyone here permanently, wanting insane luxuries like a home without sharing with strangers, enough income to afford kids, stuff like that, farm labouring makes no sense.

We're going to either pay a bit more tax so the farm subsidies can pay more wages without stopping the farmers buying their kids new Jeeps, or pay more for food, ditto, or just accept that we've set ourselves up for a permanently unemployed rural underclass side by side with exploited foreigners.

Not much changed since I was involved then.... got worse, if anything.

The basic driver of this is disparities between Eastern European costs of living and ours.

Young Slovaks etc will stick the RIP off conditions our noble farmers impose because the numbers work.

For anyone here permanently, wanting insane luxuries like a home without sharing with strangers, enough income to afford kids, stuff like that, farm labouring makes no sense.

We're going to either pay a bit more tax so the farm subsidies can pay more wages without stopping the farmers buying their kids new Jeeps, or pay more for food, ditto, or just accept that we've set ourselves up for a permanently unemployed rural underclass side by side with exploited foreigners.
You`d be amazed how many "poor" farmers draw family tax credit even though they have assets worth millions and live in large country houses , they simply pay themselves a small salary and become eligible for many benefits.

Last edited:
You`d be amazed how many "poor" farmers draw family tax credit even though they have assets worth millions and live in large country houses , they simply pay themselves a small salary and become eligible for many benefits.

I worked as a farm inspector (under a very wise old ex-MAFF Inspector) from 1999 to 2009; I'd draw a sharp distinction between tenant farmers and farm owners.

The latter are on, by and large, a money machine and they don't seem to appreciate that they're not actually business people in any meaningful sense. The entitlement goes back 100 years and they take it for granted.

Some of the tenant hill farmers I dealt with were awe inspiring in their tenacity. Not so much the tenacity they displayed in dealing with nature, and hard, hard work, but in dealing with the scandalous way they were treated by bank, landlord and supermarket.

I took every opportunity to avoid lumbering them with anything remotely like enforcement action and used to give a hand for an hour or two when I could.

I'd be the opposite with the arrogant 1000 acre barons, ******* almost to a man.

UK loses seasonal fruit production - what a disaster. And anything that puts people like 'Doug' out of action has got to be beneficial.
No the loss of eu labour won’t. The Farmers will have to do the one thing they loathe doing, paying a fair day pay for a fair days work and follow health and safety regulations.

Last edited:
Perhaps if we spent the money on running the health service rather than on endless reviews and re-structuring things would be marginally better. The amount of hated manager’s time wasted on answering bone FOIs about where the money goes, or reapplying for their own jobs in newly reorganised trusts would save a ton of cash for starters.

One reason there weren’t as many bed shortages 15/20 years ago was because we had more hospitals. We allowed successive governments to close them and sell off the estate in the name of efficiency savings ,large personal profits for Tory party family members via land grabbing.
You missed a bit off.

Excellent news. Child benefit claims down, illegal HOMO significantly reduced, crime and drug-taking down, dodgy 'shops' laundering cash reduced....
Do drop the "Counter" eh?

Then pay will have to go up and conditions improve then Brits will start doing it, your supermarket bill will go up but thats how it is.
Which will not happen. As stated often enough in the past, many will go under.

Which will not happen. As stated often enough in the past, many will go under.
Flog the land, build houses on it? Clouds, silver linings etc?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Back in the 80's, I used to go potatoe picking, as well as berry picking, brussel sprouts, cauliflower etc. In fact most kids I grew up with did. Farms always had a plentiful supply of UK labour - adults and kids & all British. What happened is that farmers wanted to pay less wages - so when europeans came and worked for less money, the farmers employed those people instead. It's not the fact that people won't do the jobs - but if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. It's not just farmers that exploited people, it's nearly every low skilled profession. That's one of the reasons people voted for Brexit - something most city dwellers are oblivious about.
Wotesaid. I worked on a local farm for a bit when I was on gardening leave, a lot of picking was still done by hand - nary an EU person in sight ( late 90's).

The guy in the video appears to be growing soft fruit in poly tunnels. Labour intensive, unmechanised.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 15481
L Brexit 51
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 142