Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question.

Labour has wobbled between a soft/hard left since the days of the Winter of Discontent.

Perhaps what we're seeing now is a backlash from Blair. Who was no more a labour man than I am. And I'm not.

And probably the only reason the Tories seem to flutter around 40% consistently, whilst not everyone agrees with them they still hold the centre ground, albeit the centre-left

I respectfully suggest that all the poll shows is 210, 826 people (at the time of writing this) have actually felt strongly enough to sign this electronic petition. It may well be there are a lot more people than 1% who might actually feel strongly enough to sign this electronic petition and agree with its sentiments, but are unaware of its existence.

Fair enough. It's always hard to tell without a further poll to assess knowledge.

This one is current:

Capture.PNG

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.n...ment/5v5qj2t7c8/PVResults_181214_Brexit_w.pdf

And probably the only reason the Tories seem to flutter around 40% consistently, whilst not everyone agrees with them they still hold the centre ground, albeit the centre-left

I generally agree.

I'm not 100% sure about the Tories holding the centre left, but it probably would look like that from, say, Nige's position.

It's still interesting to speculate on the potential effect of Brexit on both parties.

You raise an interesting theory - Has this all been orchestrated to deliver Brexit, while having Mrs May as a scapegoat for any wrongness or fuckups/consequences, and thus still leaving the Tories electable?

I glimpsed something yesterday that suggested that May's approval rating had never been higher, and the summaries of YouGov surveys posted earlier today still put Conservatives quite a few points ahead of Labour.

There is no question that the clever people in both parties will be looking at getting elected (and there is the distinct possibility that they are actually more preoccupied with this than anything EU related)

No question either that criticism of May has been huge, yet she is still there and that says something.

So the next question is, which of the possible outcomes gives the Tories the best chance of election success; Mays WA, "managed no deal", stay or show again vote-wise?

May has ruled out a show again vote. She has also (and is increasingly saying stuff like "respect the decision of the British people" (ie respect the referendum result)

So my observation is that actually, either of the first two options, suitably presented, give them the best chance, and I honest do not think that it will take that much to swing the WA. Lots of folks seem to be shouting that "stay" is the plan B but I am not so sure.

Last edited:
I glimpsed something yesterday that suggested that May's approval rating had never been higher, and the summaries of YouGov surveys posted earlier today still put Conservatives quite a few points ahead of Labour.

There is no question that the clever people in both parties will be looking at getting elected (and there is the distinct possibility that they are actually more preoccupied with this than anything EU related)

No question either that criticism of May has been huge, yet she is still there and that says something.

So the next question is, which of the possible outcomes gives the Tories the best chance of election success; Mays WA, "managed no deal", stay or show again vote-wise?

May has ruled out a show again vote. She has also (and is increasingly saying stuff like "respect the decision of the British people" (ie respect the referendum result)

So my observation is that actually, either of the first two options, suitably presented, give them the best chance, and I honest do not think that it will take that much to swing the WA. Lots of folks seem to be shouting that "stay" is the plan B but I am not so sure.
If it's all been a plan, it's a masterstroke. Especially if all the resigners and such were in on it.

My 'exhaustive' searches of the many instances of you saying an EU army was never going to happen, unearthed that example which gave you absolutely no chance to do your usual dance on the head of a pin.

So yes, you did say it many times (in slightly varying terms), which to be fair, is not an unreasonable opinion.

It's the attempt to distance yourself from a POV by lying which has let us all down.

More importantly, you've let yourself down, Billy.

My own views on an EU army are more ambivalent. If that's the course of action they pursue, fine.
If it weakens NATO, well that's a shame. I'm sure the ramifications of that haven't bypassed them.
I'm quite pleased they're finally finding the wherewithal to fund defence of some sort. HTH.
Cheers Billy.

I respectfully suggest that all the poll shows is 210, 826 people (at the time of writing this) have actually felt strongly enough to sign this electronic petition. It may well be there are a lot more people than 1% who might actually feel strongly enough to sign this electronic petition and agree with its sentiments, but are unaware of its existence.

And all those who have signed the half a dozen or so petitions to stop Brexit, delay Brexit, accept the WA etc etc etc?
There's one called Change Brexit, another called Rescind Art 50, Stop Brexit, Final Say on Brexit and so on.
Those signing range from 60,000 through 120,000 up to 400,000 in one case.
Of course, it could be the same people signing multiple petitions but none of them will make a tuppenthworth of difference. Either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.