Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is one way of putting it, but essentially you are correct. It may be worth pointing out that the draft deal put forward by PMTM was opposed not just by brexiteers but also by Remainers.

Going by her press conference last night it looks like she will push this agreement with the EU regardless of the wishes of parliament, so we could have a situation whereby the PM is acting on her own.

We live in interesting times!
This deal has no chance of getting past parliament due to it's Irish backstop provision where the EU can veto any change in the setup that leaves NI stuck in a customs union with the EU. Lastwalt is right we leave in March and the chances are there will be no deal unless the EU cave at the last minute. Personally I doubt they have the pragmatic flexibility, which is one of the reasons why I voted to leave.

They were unskilled labourers. They earned well. People stayed with the firm for years.
doesn't alter the basic premis- or are you going to stay on £40 an hour, a little lacking in ambition? Incidentally I have met people like that-pain in the arse-had one on my team. What I termed NAAFI. Never got promoted, never needed to get promoted and wasn't actually interested in the job. He was extremely good at criticism, very thin on solutions.

Because it doesn't! Keeping us tied in to the EU is not leaving, simples.

I think it's good that pressure can be put on TM to go back and renegotiate, but if the possibilities are a GE or a 2nd referendum, then I think the withdrawal agreement is preferable to either of those options.

Perfection is the enemy of the good.

I wonder if HMQ is on the cusp of calling in Mrs May and asking her if she can form an effective government or not?

That would make for some nice constitutional conversations but is perfectly within her power to do so!

Tenuously relevant (but very funny) political cartoon:

uKEaLuI.jpg

doesn't alter the basic premis- or are you going to stay on £40 an hour, a little lacking in ambition? Incidentally I have met people like that-pain in the arse-had one on my team. What I termed NAAFI. Never got promoted, never needed to get promoted and wasn't actually interested in the job. He was extremely good at criticism, very thin on solutions.
Is he an Arrse Remainiac?

doesn't alter the basic premis- or are you going to stay on £40 an hour, a little lacking in ambition?

My hourly rate is very good, which is why - being self employed - I find myself in the gym, or running, or typing bollox on the interweb; happy to just be comfortable and doing the things that distract me from my existential angst.

Money is a crap motivator.

I'm developing new diagnostic tools for Parkinson's disease. At this moment in time I'm happy with the salary. Universities also pay a standard rate.

I'm also grounded in reality enough to know their are people trying to survive on around a fifth of that rate. A shame you seem to have took your cushy, far from reality (in terms of salary and conditions for your level of qualifications and training) job in the CS for granted.

You should have worked in the real world for a bit too, and done some factory or care work.

Last edited:
Riddle me this back.
If Brexiteers are so determined to leave the EU, why are they rejecting a deal that does just that?
This is Parliament. Now the games begin. Eu have said that deal won't be changed. What did Gove say, he'd take on the job if the deal were modified. Softlee softlee,

I think another referendum is a bad idea. As much as it would be great to reverse it all, I don't think the demons would go back in the box quiet that easily. Much better to accept this deal and then work on it in the future, via general elections and part manifestos - one way or the other (moving further or closer to the UK). As for a general election, that would also be terrible. As much as Labour have several proposals that I agree with - renationalising the railways for a start, I don't trust them on defence or security.

The main disappointment for me however, is the document didn't mention anything about science cooperation. I hope this is something worked in later, as it's important aspect of the UK tech sector, and our collaboration with the other EU members on science is also an important aspect of why the UK is a world powerhouse for its outputs. This can continue - we may not be able to direct it as we do as members, but there are ways we can still be involved in projects - the lack of requirements for short-term visas will also facilitate this, so hopefully people can still work between several countries at once (E.g. between the UK and Germany etc) which is probably more common than people realise.
No second referendum. It would only return a leave vote anyway.

No GE. Not going to happen.

It's May 's deal or no deal. Staying won't happen except in the dreams of the most rabid remaINers.

As for scientists cooperating. The eu currently has a little club. It includes all 28 current eu members and another ten or so countries...

a bit like school programme which has a load of non-eu participants.

this will all work out, just in time for the Euro to implode and Britain to carry Europe out of another self inflicted mess.

I wonder if HMQ is on the cusp of calling in Mrs May and asking her if she can form an effective government or not?

That would make for some nice constitutional conversations but is perfectly within her power to do so!

Yeah I have seen quite a lot of people (not seriously, of course) suggesting the Queen could get involved. It's hard to imagine a more effective way of making this situation worse than adding a constitutional crisis on top of an ineffective government and impasse on the EU negotiations.

My hourly rate is very good, which is why - being self employed - I find myself in the gym, or running, or typing bollox on the interweb; happy to just be comfortable and doing the things that distract me from my existential angst.

Money is a crap motivator.
not the point I was making, if YOU determine what you want fine and people are motivated by Money.

Indeed, which is what I was alluding to. The human race isn't advanced as it likes to think it is.
I think when you see some uncivilised parts of the world it gives you some insight about the veneer that exists in western society.. But, people won't riot for brexit, they will sullenly stew on it as they have been programmed to do.

I'm not sure a change if PM will make much of a difference. The boarder issues, the need to satisfy so many different parties and the fact that time is ticking means a new PM really has little movement to do anything.

My gut feeling is the No Deal will become the de-facto solution. Industry and business that has been holding off will start their contingency plans, statements at AGMs, notices to the markets - all that good stuff. Airlines will warn customers that come April there is no guarantee they will fly, people rushing to get their online travel authorization (not a visa but the same as the eTA or ETA that you get over here), pound vs Euro reducing spending power for peoples holidays, mobile companies wanting people they will pay a pretty penny for roaming.

All the things that sat hidden in the corner will come to the fore.

People will start to question if it is worth it. The Tories will still rip themselves apart as negotiations struggle.

Then there will be something - that unknown-unknown - which will spark people. Then it becomes a question of bin it or go for it.

My money is on bin it. Either a "people vote" or by the EU offering to suspend/cancel the Art 50.

No matter what happens the country is fucked and it will be a bloodless civil war for sometime.

As they say "you broke it, you fix it"
luckily we don't take as much drugs as you seem to...

Status
Not open for further replies.