Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juncker and Varadkar; no hard border - under any circumstances - in the event of a no deal Brexit:

Hugh Bennet's analysis:

Roughly, why is the EU potentially jeopardising Brexit negotiations over the border issue, when if the negotiations fail, they're not going to put a border there anyway? So why don't they compromise a little on it?

Roughly, why is the EU potentially jeopardising Brexit negotiations over the border issue, when if the negotiations fail, they're not going to put a border there anyway? So why don't they compromise a little on it?

Because it is, and always was, a massive negotiating red-herring.

Because it is, and always was, a massive negotiating red-herring.

There will however eventually be a quasi-hard border on the Irish side. The UK - if it has any sense - will chop import duties to zero on anything we don't actually manufacture or grow in the UK. For example, we don't grow bananas, so why have an import tax on them? Similarly, we no longer manufacture tungsten power in the the UK, so why have an import duty on it?

Goods with zero import duties will be significantly cheaper than the equivalent imported into the EU with EU import tarrifs on it, so I expect there will be substantial smuggling from NI into the ROI, then re-export of goods from the ROI into the EU as 'EU' goods - no import tax on goods moving within the single market. The profits from that will be substantial and the bulk of the fraud will occur in the ROI - hence not a UK problem.

Had the EU not weaponised the Irish border question, I suspect a workable solution could have been found before now. As it is, I suspect the EU is in the process of creating a major headache for itself. Which is a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot.

Wordsmith

Juncker and Varadkar; no hard border - under any circumstances - in the event of a no deal Brexit:

Because they are trying to force a united Irelabd.

There will however eventually be a quasi-hard border on the Irish side. The UK - if it has any sense - will chop import duties to zero on anything we don't actually manufacture or grow in the UK. For example, we don't grow bananas, so why have an import tax on them? Similarly, we no longer manufacture tungsten power in the the UK, so why have an import duty on it?

Goods with zero import duties will be significantly cheaper than the equivalent imported into the EU with EU import tarrifs on it, so I expect there will be substantial smuggling from NI into the ROI, then re-export of goods from the ROI into the EU as 'EU' goods - no import tax on goods moving within the single market. The profits from that will be substantial and the bulk of the fraud will occur in the ROI - hence not a UK problem.

Had the EU not weaponised the Irish border question, I suspect a workable solution could have been found before now. As it is, I suspect the EU is in the process of creating a major headache for itself. Which is a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot.

Wordsmith

On the part of your post I put in bold - God yes. Get out of all EU restrictions and do it the day after Brexit.

In terms of the smuggling that would result from NI to Eire, agreed. But I doubt it would be on a level to bother the technocrats in Brussels - it is a red-herring.

Sadly May still seems to be going down an appeasement route rather than playing hardball on this issue.

The great new strategy...The EU appear to be amenable, they are just waiting for a realistic plan, whilst brexiteers can't blame anyone now for the diabolical mess that they have caused except a daft 'old bag' who promised to deliver their impossible dreams.

Mongs?....no, that would be an insult to mongs.

Wordsmith

Swapping your auto and agricole industries for cheap tungsten powder and bananas seems a fair exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they are trying to force a united Irelabd.
they want the break a bit off uk.

then they look after ni with eire. Eventually other nations/regions do similar.

Catalonia just boiled to quickly.

A use of regional groups, that's what the eu will be. Member states are old fashioned.

I made four comments, two of which nearly ten years ago but apparently that is what you wish to discuss rather the point I made.

Can you not see there is something seriously wrong with you? Rather than ignore the post I made about changing demographics, or even make a half-coherent reply, you've decided to talk about these four posts I made, two of which are nearly ten years old.

And pleased to see your use of champ and fella in no way shows that you're upset. Nope, not at all. One can only imagine you're one of those tragic belters who puts RE after surname.
just admit you've been a d*ck and grow from this.

you got a little excited with @Baglock, or his alias, at the time and got a bit silly.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.