Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? The CTA has allowed huge volumes of fuss free personal trade between the two countries for nearly a century.
It's what it comes down to pretty much but strictly speaking that's wrong. There has always been an odd relationship with Ireland. It's always wanted it's independence-but not quite.
Customs is an EU competency

There is Customs posts in the EU but only on external borders so at ports and airports for vessels & flights arriving from non-EU counties and on land borders with non-EU states.

Excise is a national issue for that reason you see Irish Customs Officers on the NI border. As they happen to be responsible for its collection (the big ones on the Irish border being Green/Red Diesel and VRT).

FRONTEX are a co-ordination agency. Day to day tasks are undertaken by national authorities (so you will not see FRONTEX staff carrying out inspections of containers from the US that have routed red in Liverpool for example, you’ll see UKBF doing it).

Ireland and the UK weren’t initially members of FRONTEX as we are outside Schegen (the UK subsequently joined FRONTEX). Imho we should join FRONTEX as we already co-operate with it).
Excise is not at a Customs matter, it is a residual of our shared history in which the departments were combined for the treasury, but the reality is that Excise is where fuel sits, wine and alcholol wet warehousing and tobacco controls. It is therefore a matter for the revenue. As such it is the Police or the Revenue acting with police who have jurisdiction in this matter not Customs, So I'm not wrong. It's why our departments did what they did. My Bold Thank you for that admission.
It does not matter that you are outside Shengen as Schengen is not a Customs matter but immigration, which is also now an EU competency. As such your Customs and Excise is ultra vires. Frontex is not just a co-operation agency, matters could have been resolved by transferring both our customs staffs to Frontex in 2008 WIE and have EU rates of pay. But then we all know that Frontex is the sham of the Final Frontier.

What are you talking about?

Irish Revenue currently patrol the NI/Ireland border ..... the only reason being is that they happen to be responsible for collecting the national taxes as well.
What border? I thought there was no border, it is this the EU trying to get round the blame for this issue?

It's what it comes down to pretty much but strictly speaking that's wrong. There has always been an odd relationship with Ireland. It's always wanted it's independence-but not quite.

Excise is not at a Customs matter, it is a residual of our shared history in which the departments were combined for the treasury, but the reality is that Excise is where fuel sits, wine and alcholol wet warehousing and tobacco controls. It is therefore a matter for the revenue. As such it is the Police or the Revenue acting with police who have jurisdiction in this matter not Customs, So I'm not wrong. It's why our departments did what they did. My Bold Thank you for that admission.
It does not matter that you are outside Shengen as Schengen is not a Customs matter but immigration, which is also now an EU competency. As such your Customs and Excise is ultra vires. Frontex is not just a co-operation agency, matters could have been resolved by transferring both our customs staffs to Frontex in 2008 WIE and have EU rates of pay. But then we all know that Frontex is the sham of the Final Frontier.
S Ireland always wanted and had Independence plus plus, now they are confused by the EU!

What are you talking about?

Irish Revenue currently patrol the NI/Ireland border ..... the only reason being is that they happen to be responsible for collecting the national taxes as well.
So in effect there is no excuse for the existence of Irish Customs and Excise.

I’m really losing patience with you , you mentally incontinent educated half wit.
This is supposed to be a thread to discuss trade. Every Time I stop for a coffee, put my feet up and check in case there has been an interesting post on trade, you are filling pages with one line crap !
I appreciate you have very little to fill your life and Aparrently know the square root of f#ck all about doing business, which you demonstrate every single day, all day ,without fail.
But here’s a radical thought.take your gnomic one liners and either ram them where the sun don’t shine, or take them to the brexit consiquences thread.
( or one of the others , god only knows you have enough choice).
I realise non of the sentient adults on here read them anymore but I’m sure with your erudite experience and wit you can resurrect them.
Meanwhile leaving some of us with a job the ability to catch up on the trade thread in a minute or so without having to wade through pages of your trite, non relevant to trade guff.
Sorry to be blunt but get a bloody grip ( or mods get a grip)
Yours CB.

You've just described about a dozen or so obsessive posters on here.
Of course, you'll only pick on one that disagrees with your POV (par for the course on here).
Why not a similar diatribe against them?
Sorry, answer not required as it's pretty obvious.

Start !
Don’t forget it will be on US terms
At least we will be able to negotiate with them, as we have done in the past. The EU have demonstrated that they are not for negotiating, indeed not able to negotiate : EU way or the highway is their POV.

You've just described about a dozen or so obsessive posters on here.
Of course, you'll only pick on one that disagrees with your POV (par for the course on here).
Why not a similar diatribe against them?
Sorry, answer not required as it's pretty obvious.
Feeling left out are you? :flower:

I’m really losing patience with you , you mentally incontinent educated half wit.
This is supposed to be a thread to discuss trade. Every Time I stop for a coffee, put my feet up and check in case there has been an interesting post on trade, you are filling pages with one line crap !
I appreciate you have very little to fill your life and Aparrently know the square root of f#ck all about doing business, which you demonstrate every single day, all day ,without fail.
But here’s a radical thought.take your gnomic one liners and either ram them where the sun don’t shine, or take them to the brexit consiquences thread.
( or one of the others , god only knows you have enough choice).
I realise non of the sentient adults on here read them anymore but I’m sure with your erudite experience and wit you can resurrect them.
Meanwhile leaving some of us with a job the ability to catch up on the trade thread in a minute or so without having to wade through pages of your trite, non relevant to trade guff.
Sorry to be blunt but get a bloody grip ( or mods get a grip)
Yours CB.

One liners, you’ve mistaken me for someone else, or in regard to you, mistaken me for someone who cares. There’s a reason there’s a bit of a slump in exciting news on trade, it’s because we’re still breathing, trading and carrying on as normal.
We’re still there (and likely to be there long after March or May)

You could follow one of the posters on here who, to show how well brexits going puts up new and exciting news of internal expansion and investment which is finally coming on line or getting rushed in before March.

I don’t know what to tell you but if you haven’t twigged why very little is happening tradewise, or why new and exciting trade deals aren’t being announced. You’re either in the wrong place or not very good at your job.

There might be a bit of singing and dancing tomorrow or so, it may have been booted down to November.
But expecting regular fascinating dits on trade to enliven your coffee break. Look at who’s doing the negotiation (and weep)

It takes a special sort of person to annoy the Canadians on the diplomatic and economic front. The esteemed Liam Fox has apparently managed it.

What’s your area of expertise....I’m sure I know nothing about it either.

Start !
Don’t forget it will be on US terms

The only way a trade agreement will be signed if if the terms are mutually acceptable for both sides.

It is in the US's interests to make sure the terms are acceptable - they then have a chance to displace EU suppliers from UK markets. More trade for the US = more profit for US companies.

(And less profit for EU ones...)

Wordsmith

Skidz id just like to point out that last barb was aimed at BL not you the iPad threw a track.
My apologies
It’s ok. But my response still stands. We’re just carrying on, on trade at the moment, until something is resolved or the wheels fall off.
I hope it’s the former. I really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.