Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is she still in post then? Surely a conviction, for negligence no less, triggers a reappraisal of someone's suitability? Someone who's job sees them making statements about world currencies needs credibility. Every time I see her name in the news I don't think 'hmm, IMF boss', I think 'wasn't she convicted?'

The post of head of the IMF has traditionally gone to a European. However, after the sexual shenanigans of Dominique Strauss-Kahn and Lagarde bending the rules of the IMF out of shape to help in the Greek bailout, the member states of the IMF have made it clear that the next head of the IMF will come from outside of Europe. As a result, when Lagarde stands down, Europe will no longer have the influence over the IMF that it currently has.

Hence the maneuvers to keep Lagarde in post.

Wordsmith

I agree none of the current political crop are of any worth. They are all bitching with each other instead of focusing on the real issues.

While the UK governing is slowly imploding the EU are tactically planning there strategy. We will leave in 6 months time, there will be no “we’re not ready give us more time please” that will only happen if we grovel, beg and hand over even more power.

It’s all become an absolute joke. Soon the Russians will hit us with fake news to upset the cart
That's the spirit!

"Will not be allowed" means we're subservient to our non elected EU rulers.

Bring on a no deal Brexit.
No it means nothing of the sort, the remainders would like to believe that. Stick the argument on it’s head. And look at what happened when Dolphy repudiated the Versailles agreement as inequitable. Are we suggesting the EU would go to war against a NATO ally.? The nuances are there. In Politics there is no such thing as “will not be allowed”. All agreements are by their nature replaceable

Has anyone changed their minds either way in this mega thread?

Not as a result of this thread, but several lukewarm remain supporters I know have become lukewarm Brexit supporters. That's mainly because they regard the EU as behaving like a spoilt child after we voted to leave, and hence now believe the 'Out' vote was justified.

Wordsmith

they must have been the wrong 150,000.

They held dummy referendum in a number of marginal constituencies. 150,000 people responded and nearly 90% of those would have voted to reject Lisbon. Had we had a referendum back then, there is little doubt which way the result would have gone, although I the majority in favour of rejecting it would have been somewhat less.

As I've posted before, Brown was so proud of what he'd done, he refused to sign the treaty with the other leaders and tried to avoid being photographed signing it when he actually did. That's not the behaviour of someone with a clear conscience.

Wordsmith

Meanwhile.

US hits China with biggest tariffs yet
The US is imposing new tariffs on $200bn (£150bn) of Chinese goods as it escalates its trade war with Beijing. These will apply to almost 6,000 items, marking the biggest round of US tariffs so far.

I actually think Trump is right in this. China has been using unfair trading practices for years to drive western manufacturers out of business. And the profit form those exports is driving an expansion in the Chinese military which is now flexing its muscles. Cripple China's unfairly subsidied exports with tariffs and you also cripple its military. Win/win.

However the EU is now going to have a big problem. As Chinese exports to the US dry up, it'll increase the subsidies for its exports going to the EU (and UK) to increase its market share there to compensate. The EU is now going to have to decide on whether to closely monitor Chinese imports and increase tariffs if they spot unfair trading practices.

That presents the EU with a dilemma. don't put up tariffs and EU manufacturers will be driven out of business. Put up tariffs and consumers will start complaining of increased prices. There are no right answers for this - so the EU is going to have to take some tough decisions. And take the flak for taking them.

Wordsmith

Meanwhile.

US hits China with biggest tariffs yet

I actually think Trump is right in this. China has been using unfair trading practices for years to drive western manufacturers out of business. And the profit form those exports is driving an expansion in the Chinese military which is now flexing its muscles. Cripple China's unfairly subsidied exports with tariffs and you also cripple its military. Win/win.

However the EU is now going to have a big problem. As Chinese exports to the US dry up, it'll increase the subsidies for its exports going to the EU (and UK) to increase its market share there to compensate. The EU is now going to have to decide on whether to closely monitor Chinese imports and increase tariffs if they spot unfair trading practices.

That presents the EU with a dilemma. don't put up tariffs and EU manufacturers will be driven out of business. Put up tariffs and consumers will start complaining of increased prices. There are no right answers for this - so the EU is going to have to take some tough decisions. And take the flak for taking them.

Wordsmith

NO!!!

Repeat after me:

The EU is so humopungous, it can ignore the harsh global reality and imposer its own reality…

…apparently.

As I've said before, life will go on largely unchanged after Brexit. After 2 - 3 months of embuggeration as new systems get shaken down, things will settle down and people will see little difference in their day to day life.

What really matters is how Westminster reacts to their new freedom to set a different direction to when we were in the EU. Get it right and we'll prosper. Get it wrong and the Remain camp will be on permasend.

The change can't happen under May - she's too risk adverse and will (as she always does) run away from problems. But the Tories under a new, business friendly leader, might strike a chord with a large part of the UK electorate.

Wordsmith

I'm still trying to work out how it is the Dutch customs are recruiting 900 staff, when it's not their remit, but Brussels and Brussels is not badging them Frontex. They really have control of this issue don't they? Still there might be one bonus when they find loads of Chinese counterfeit goods-that they weren't looking for hey.

Always remember the Maxim of the French Diplomat in Berlin in 14. France will do what is in France’s interest. They’re wreckers, they always have been.

I wonder where he could he have got that idea from?

"We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and these interests it is our duty to follow."
Lord Palmerston, Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784-1865)
British Prime Minister and British Foreign Minister

Status
Not open for further replies.