Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
499BD7E2-0206-4D98-B012-6F92CF40E477.jpeg

Last month I spent an hour chewing the fat with the principal of a fairly large
(35 truck), car transporter firm.His opinions were largely formed by talking to car dealerships and national franchises.
His opinion was that the volume as well as the premium manifacturers in Europe will be bricking it at the thought of WTO .
This would put us outside their tariffs ring fence with an immediate fixed cost addition to absorb or pass on. Their rest of world competitors would even under WTO have a fixed cost reduction relative to current EU tarriff barriers.
However he expected the Koreans and Malays and Japanese would be in a rush to agree much more favourable ( free trade type) deals that would give them a huge price advantage over the likes of VAG as well as PSA even at the cheaper volume end of the market.
So I would say that he thought it really could be catastrophicly bad for European volume car makers if” treasure island” leaves with no deal.
This as I have been consistently saying since last September is almost a racing certainty now, the commission are not pragmatists nor particularly shrewd and faced with an existential threat to their very project have used their usual threatening, inflexible playbook. Their interest is not however a Stuttgart carworkers interest, if in the wee quiet moments some of the players are not having second thoughts over coming the c* nt. then they should be!

In my opinion ( and David G’s ) of course.

Presumably a factor in PSA buying Vauxhall.
They now have a factory outside of post Brexit europe

Last month I spent an hour chewing the fat with the principal of a fairly large
(35 truck), car transporter firm.His opinions were largely formed by talking to car dealerships and national franchises.
His opinion was that the volume as well as the premium manifacturers in Europe will be bricking it at the thought of WTO .
This would put us outside their tariffs ring fence with an immediate fixed cost addition to absorb or pass on. Their rest of world competitors would even under WTO have a fixed cost reduction relative to current EU tarriff barriers.
However he expected the Koreans and Malays and Japanese would be in a rush to agree much more favourable ( free trade type) deals that would give them a huge price advantage over the likes of VAG as well as PSA even at the cheaper volume end of the market.
So I would say that he thought it really could be catastrophicly bad for European volume car makers if” treasure island” leaves with no deal.
This as I have been consistently saying since last September is almost a racing certainty now, the commission are not pragmatists nor particularly shrewd and faced with an existential threat to their very project have used their usual threatening, inflexible playbook. Their interest is not however a Stuttgart carworkers interest, if in the wee quiet moments some of the players are not having second thoughts over coming the c* nt. then they should be!

In my opinion ( and David G’s ) of course.

Yes, had a similar conversation with the sales manager at my long time Honda dealer.
They are rather looking forward to taking the brakes off of their imports as are the other Japanese makers. They all have full ranges of JDM models, that’s RHD, that they currently can’t import into the UK market. Good luck trying to sell the overpriced VW Transporters if the wide range of excellent Japanese vans were let lose on the UK market. Japanese light and medium class truck makers would also get a big new market.

And most leavers don't have a problem with that. It was a remaIN myth that leavers were anti-immigration. We're just anti-uncontrolled, gang-f*ck immigration a la Anthony Blair et al in the Labour Party, and ever since.

If you have a skill we need, come on in. If you just want access to our welfare system... f*ck off.

Firstly, non-EU migration was 100% within the UK’s control.

Second, if it were truly the case that Leave voters didn’t care about immigration, particularly non-white immigration, why lie about Turkey being about to join the EU, why lie about being forced by the UE to accept a quota of refugees?

Immigration , Xenophobia were a big issue. Possibly decisive in such a close vote.

I’m don’t believe every sincere leave voter is racist, but it is disingenuous to pretend that leave voters ‘don’t have a problem’ with removing visa restrictions for India. I certainly don’t remember the campaign slogan ‘let’s kick out the Poles and replace then with Indians’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very good.

"This means that in the absence of special content deals, the bulk of UK assembled cars would not qualify for tariff-free treatment under a typical free trade deal."

I presume you read that bit? Just another non story really isn't it. All it actually says is that any free trade deals need to take that in to account. We don't currently have a free trade deal, never mind a a typical one.

It also works in reverse, BMW may need to build a new engine factory pretty sharpish, so might Ford and PSA

Ford alone build over 1.5 million engines in the UK but they dont assemble any vehicles.
BMW make over quarter of a million, all exported.

But feel free to continue to spout hysterical nonsense, you still aren't going to get your referendum re-run.

What’s more likely long term?

Ford move engine building out of the UK, or Ford move production of finished vehicles into the UK to go with their engine plant...and to hell with tariffs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRM vs Verhofstadt over the EIRE hard border.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

JRM eloquently highlighting the EU Hyprocrisy.

EU makes the rules, however will flex the rules when the circumstances allow and its in the EU's interests. A rules based system ensuring the author/originator can 'choose' to amend & or amend when it suits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course it is different - you wouldnt answer the first. and still dont.

WTF doers that bold bit mean? You guys are so wrapped up in your own shoite you don't know what you are doing, thinking or considering.

Now, now; no need to get all shouty - it's just a little more nuanced that your thought process has, to date, allowed.

It means we'll leave without a specific trade deal in March. However,I believe a transition deal will be reached effectively maintaining the status quo.

JRM eloquently highlighting the EU Hyprocrisy.

EU makes the rules, however will flex the rules when the circumstances allow and its in the EU's interests. A rules based system ensuring the author/originator can 'choose' to amend & or amend when it suits.

Indeed, I was going to comment about how poor the EU negotiating is but left it to the video as it's evident what standard they are at.

Apparently to some posters on here it's actually the UK that are clueless and useless at negotiating.....

Indeed, I was going to comment about how poor the EU negotiating is but left it to the video as it's evident what standard they are at.

Apparently to some posters on here it's actually the UK that are clueless and useless at negotiating.....

I fully concur, I'd like to see JRM do the same with Junker & perhaps Barnier, complete with tangible evidence of course.

It's also quite concerning the anger and contempt that Verhofstadt displayed when he was being picked apart.

He appears to be either an unstable individual or well out of his depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.