Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
or, seeing as it makes no real difference to the actual fruit, just sell the stuff. And eat it. And stop being daft.

But, it's been proven that the size and shape of a fruit affects the desirability to the consumer. The regulation helped ensure that producers produced what consumers wanted, and meant retailers knew they were ordering what consumers wanted.

True it's logically bollocks, but human nature isn't always logical.

And, as has been pointed out there was no restriction on selling bent fruit, it wasn't in the shops because people didn't want it. The regulation simply helped ensure consumers got what they wanted - what a terrible thing to impose on us.

Last edited:
It is really nice watching the Remainiacs run round and round in circles trying to find negative things to say about brexit while supporting their heroes in the EU. Quite amusing but it really is just repetitive, they have nothing new to fight back with.

Deffo a popcorn and brew time! :p.

That’s definitely the remainers. So much to do and so little time. Every morning brings some new (unthought of and unheralded) disaster.

Usually of the ‘Oh we didn’t think of that’. Despite knowing exactly what they voted for.

The trade deals, has Fox actually done anything?
Spending our own resources, we’re still giving them back to the Eu
The border, any clues yet? (Asking for the neighbours)
Our laws., we just tacked 40years of eurolaws into our statute books they must have been really good ones.
Savings for British consumers. How’s that going, we’re still in. The £s dropped we’ve the slowest growth in the Eu. ( Did we really leave to return to being the sick man of Europe)
Improve the economy generate more jobs. Yet many working people are claiming tax credit and housing benefit. How is this by any measure a success.
Regenerate the fishing. Forget it. It’s gone, unless you like flatfish.
Save the NHS. How, by ensuring those who used to work in it went home.
Restore British customs and things. Yes all those cultural and traditional ones taken from us by Europeans.

It’s all our fault.

But, it's been proven that the size and shape of a fruit affects the desirability to the consumer. The regulation helped ensure that producers produced what consumers wanted, and meant retailers knew they were ordering what consumers wanted.

And, as has been pointed out there was no restriction on selling bent fruit, it wasn't in the shops because people didn't want it. The regulation simply helped ensure consumers got what they wanted - what a terrible thing to impose on us.

However did consumers manage before that?

I would like some bananas please

Certainly madam. What size?

Errrrrrrrrrrrr Oh my God I don't know!!! Are you telling me that they come in different sizes?

Funny old thing, but before the EU (PBUH), set forth and saved me from bent bananas, I cant ever once thinking to myself, 'Yeah, I fancy a banana, but I won't eat those ones, they are bent'.

However did consumers manage before that?

I would like some bananas please

Certainly madam. What size?

Errrrrrrrrrrrr Oh my God I don't know!!! Are you telling me that they come in different sizes?

Conversely, how exactly does this regulation, that helps retailers stock what, in general, what punters want, thus avoiding waste, impose so terribly on your life?

The regulation simply helped ensure consumers got what they wanted - what a terrible thing to impose on us.
Indeed, since it led to enormous amounts of agricultural waste, not least in countries wanting to export to the EU, often very poor ones, and the collapse of agricultural industries in some who could not meet the standards due to their climate not producing a fruit of sufficient size or required dimension.

EU to allow sale of 'odd' shaped fruit and vegetables

Funny old thing, but before the EU (PBUH), set forth and saved me from bent bananas, I cant ever once thinking to myself, 'Yeah, I fancy a banana, but I won't eat those ones, they are bent'.

But, I'll bet you picked the best looking ones from the selection on offer. As did everyone else.

Conversely, how exactly does this regulation, that helps retailers stock what, in general, what punters want, thus avoiding waste, impose so terribly on your life?

You mean these wonderful regulations that pushed up the percentage of food that was wasted and not sold, so pushing up EU food prices?

Indeed, since it led to enormous amounts of agricultural waste, not least in countries wanting to export to the EU, often very poor ones, and the collapse of agricultural industries in some who could not meet the standards due to their climate not producing a fruit of sufficient size or required dimension.

That's 10 years old, how much 'ugly' fruit and veg do you see on the supermarket shelves. It wasn't the regulations that blocked odd shaped fruit but consumer demand. It continues to do so.

But, I'll bet you picked the best looking ones from the selection on offer. As did everyone else.

If you mean 'best looking' as in not green, yellow, with just there merestest hint of black spelling so they were nice and ripe, yes.
But bentness? Nope, cant say that was ever a deep matter of import.

Thank goodness all that sort of nonsense was sorted a decade ago.

Or do they want it because it is all they have grown up with? If they had been exposed to asymmetrical fruit and vegetables from childhood, would they think them odd? It all depends on the provenance of the study and its parameters. If the study had been conducted on say, agricultural folk, I think that the results would have been different. Remember, the current and former generation think that potatoes are nice clean things in plastic because they gave no idea where they come from or how misshapen they can be in nature.

It does not impose one iota on anyone's life, and the tosh about assisting retailers is exactly that - tosh. Do they get similar help with radishes? Runner beans? Artichoke? Butternut squash? Of course not.

I think falling foul of the WTO was more of a reason for over-regulation of banana. http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2003/december/tradoc_114950.pdf

But that is of no consequence either. Bananagate is, however, an amusing metaphor for the totalitarian uselessness of the protection racket we all know and love where, without even a hint of embarrassment, grown-ups sitting in expensively provisioned committee rooms come up with phrases like the Banana Framework Agreement

That's 10 years old, how much 'ugly' fruit and veg do you see on the supermarket shelves. It wasn't the regulations that blocked odd shaped fruit but consumer demand. It continues to do so.

You mean like the wonky fruit and veg ranges you can find in all the majors?

Status
Not open for further replies.