Brexit Phase Two - Trade

That’s your opinion. That Brexit routine of ignoring it and hoping it will go away, hows that working?

I could see your point if the Eu had thrown us out. Then it would be their problem. But, brexiters voted to leave. Citing control of their orders as one platform, without having the first clue about how to deal with the only one we have.
It is indeed my opinion, but I was paid to provide opinions on international trade for a number of years.

How is it working? Well the UK doesn’t have to do anything. It’s an EU problem - ask them how it’s working not me.

Yep, off the web site:

European External Action Service
University postgraduates (Master's or PhD level)
Who can apply: candidates who have obtained a university degree equivalent to a Master's degree or higher in a domain relevant to the activities of the EU Delegations (at least four years of university)
Duration: 9-18 months
Where: EU Delegations

These MBAs and PhDs are tough as nails - watch out for the aiborne accountants.
do a tour with EUFor. It's like the 300 at Thermopylae.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
It is indeed my opinion, but I was paid to provide opinions on international trade for a number of years.

How is it working? Well the UK doesn’t have to do anything. It’s an EU problem - ask them how it’s working not me.
And this flapping is us doing nothing. . If this is us not having to do anything. The turmoil in Europe must be appalling.

And this flapping is us doing nothing. . If this is us not having to do anything. The turmoil in Europe must be appalling.
The flapping seems to be coming from the losers in the Brexit vote, and their inability to accept reality.

Trust me: the UK just has to introduce import tariffs that are lower than the punitive EU ones and they, THEY, will run the border, because it’s the EU that will be losing money not the UK.

It’s really that simple.

I personally would use the Brexit opportunity to do a massive rewrite of the UK economic model. Zero tariffs, fixed income tax (around 14%), higher consumption tax, zero corporate tax, etc.

That’s your opinion. That Brexit routine of ignoring it and hoping it will go away, hows that working?

I could see your point if the Eu had thrown us out. Then it would be their problem. But, brexiters voted to leave. Citing control of their orders as one platform, without having the first clue about how to deal with the only one we have.
We can ignore it.

The EU is the one pushing for a hard border. Not the UK not RoI.

And from that Washington post article:

If Germany had its own currency, it would be valued far higher than the euro. While the euro’s relatively low value is benefiting Germany’s export-driven economy, it has done little to revive southern Europe’s underperforming counterparts, which have also struggled under harsh austerity measures.
A well known economic reason why the Germans love the euro and not the Deutschmark

And from that Washington post article:

If Germany had its own currency, it would be valued far higher than the euro. While the euro’s relatively low value is benefiting Germany’s export-driven economy, it has done little to revive southern Europe’s underperforming counterparts, which have also struggled under harsh austerity measures.

The Germans are exporting with their costs @ 30% undervalued
The Italians are exporting with their costs @ 30% overvalued

The Euro - Great 'one size fits all' success!

Let's not go nuts. Whilst I actually admire some of their quirks (like long lunches and business funded parties, days off etc) they're not quite lean sigma legends.

Never said they were paragons of virtue, but they are relatively efficient and have an excellent culture of design, manufacture and engineering.

Having worked with German and Italian engineers, give me the Italians ands their 'can do - get it done' attitude every day.

Italy has a sound manufacturing economy. World class products highly exportable, many iconic brands, it can still maintain a bicycle and motorcycle industry.

But its being destroyed not be being backward or inneficient, its simply having to charge too much thanks to the Euro.
If you ever get a chance to read a book called ‘global shift’ by Peter Dickinson, he covers the macro economic scale quite well. Within Europe there’s. Big sausage shaped area that covers Europe from the midlands to northern Italy, incorporating western Germany, eastern France, Holland, Belgium and Switzerland. That’s where the wealth is generated in Europe. (Similar areas can be found in North America, SE Asia) those are the historic wealth generating areas, the current wealth generating areas and the future wealth generating areas for a whole host of reasons he goes into.

Italy dies have a strong economic base, but the overpriced € compared to what the lire would be doesn’t make it competitive for the Italian economy. The € is undervalued in in Germany compared to what the duetchemark would be. Making the German economy more competitive.

The € hovers somewhere in the middle as it’s a fudge. Strong economy’s like Germany benefit by the € being weaker than it should in that area by being dragged down by the weaker economy’s. weaker economy’s such as Italy and Greece struggle with the € waits artificially raised by the stronger economy’s.

Let's not go nuts. Whilst I actually admire some of their quirks (like long lunches and business funded parties, days off etc) they're not quite lean sigma legends.
Germany isn’t a particularly innovative nation. It does what it does well, I.e making quality products.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453