Brexit Phase Two - Trade

There's the Trade and the Customs Bills. These are to do with the UK's future relationship with the EU.

The trade talks with other countries won't move beyond big hand, small map business until the UK's relationship with the EU is clear. Don't expect that this year.

There's even a growing possibility that HMG will be defeated on one of its biggest red lines regarding the Customs Union, so fantasies about other trading relationships need to be parked in a siding for quite some time.
So just to recap. Juncker says we can't be in the CU, We accept, but it seems the EU actually want us to remain in the CU they told us we can't be part of. Yep Brilliant negotiating ploy. U.K. **** off and stay. Macron has a screw lose is taken to task by French MEPs on immigration and Macron says they shouldn't be in the EP if they don't believe in his concept of France. I'm beginning to wonder if the Commission is going to have more problems from the EP than Brexit is causing.

So just to recap. Juncker says we can't be in the CU, We accept, but it seems the EU actually want us to remain in the CU they told us we can't be part of. Yep Brilliant negotiating ploy. U.K. **** off and stay. Macron has a screw lose is taken to task by French MEPs on immigration and Macron says they shouldn't be in the EP if they don't believe in his concept of France. I'm beginning to wonder if the Commission is going to have more problems from the EP than Brexit is causing.

That's not what I said.

But they are awfully glad now that they did not.
Not really, it's like Brexit in that respect. They'd all have been whooping and hollering "Freedom" without caring about any consequences.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Through google.
It all seems to be pish about brexit.

It’s a lot like the names that pro union politicians were called by SNP supporters who dared disagree with them.
Then you saw a lot of ‘the disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox’ I Suspect you’ll find a lot less for ‘the virtuous Peter Mendelson’.

I’ve no axe to grind on either, but the Liam Fox description seems-to be the most accurate.

In fact Indonesia and the EU are not so different. Indonesia is bigger, and has more diversity. 300 ethnic groups, 700 languages, 34 provinces (think of them as countries), 8000 islands.

It was formed in 1947, the EU was formed in 57. It has reinvented itself several times, like Common Market, to EEC, ro EC, to EU. In Indonesia’s case it only really existed as a democratic nation after 2004.

One government at federal level, and regional governments at provincial level.

It also has a pretty chequered history of invasions, occupations and war.

It may not be exactly apples to apples, but it’s pretty close.

And you know what, the UK would be better off dumping the EU and signing a deal with Joko......
Nowhere near. At any time soon. Economically, culturally and industrially poles apart.

And you don’t know where I stand..... in fact I didn’t vote as I no longer live in the UK (but own a house there)

I think the brexit vote was madness on both sides - the EU should have seen what was going to happen and made concessions to the UK.

Instead that classic Franco German arrogance popped up and things turned to sh1t really quickly.

The UK on the other hand, should have taken control of the EU and made them stick to knitting.

The sheer fact that the EU has protectionist tariffs in 2018, but is obsessed with federalism, one army, Common laws etc, shows how massively out of touch they had become. The UK should not have allowed it to happen.

Both sides are now like punch drunk aging fighters, having slogged themselves senseless.

The best alternative now is to move forward and forget what has happened. But that Franco German arrogance is back on the menu. We must punish the British.

It’s exaclty that small minded sectarian stupidity that drove the UK to a vote to leave.

Can the UK recover?. Of course it can.

Can the EU? Not without radically changing.
We've been through this lots.

There were no concessions to be made without a change to the treaty. Cameron blew it as early as 2012 in that respect.

Your obsession with protectionism appears to have blinded you to that fact that competition, the US and China are highly protectionist.

If you mean that accepting the financial cost for a political end is punishing Britain, I think you'll find that the UK is punishing itself.

No good blaming France and Germany for our decisions.

Can the UK recover? Time will see, same as the EU. We're very much internlinked.

Rinse and repeat.

I love getting dumb tags from the SPOTY and runner up (hint: it's the same troll) :cool:
Makes my day when I've called the dim witted out.
They clearly voted for the support of communism by the EU, see my post above.
Words can't describe how I feel about the lickspital traitors that voted remain.....they clearly didn't know that they were voting and cherishing communism......or did they?;)
You're clearly mainlining Cillit Bang again.

I have a strong dislike for the political weasels of every hue, but it's interesting that Fox is disgraced ,whilst the likes of Mandelson is considered virtuous.

Nothing to do with their political stance, I suppose?
Who thinks Mandelson virtuous barring himself? He's not particularly popular within Labour nor anywhere else. He's also not in government.

It's a bugger when Baglock's bollocks is shown for what it is.
The poor mite seems to be getting quite emotional. :mrgreen:
Irony black hole from King SABC hissy fit.

Yerp, Properly as well. But just to clarify I'm talking about the determination as to who controls trade talks in the, EU. I am however mindful that the EU does not do specifics. So answers on the popes Bosom, set squares and protractors may be used. Just don't stab Higgsy.
Nope, stream of consciousness again. The EU controls the talks because we submitted A50 before we had half a Scooby and have been on the back foot ever since.

Then you saw a lot of ‘the disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox’ I Suspect you’ll find a lot less for ‘the virtuous Peter Mendelson’.

I’ve no axe to grind on either, but the Liam Fox description seems-to be the most accurate.
You most obviously do have have an axe to grind with Fox, given your inability to mention him without your favourite denigrating sobriquet.

The German economy has been very rightly called a ‘Vampire economy’ sucking the life out of the surrounding ‘hosts’.
Should you at first not succeed, try, try and try again.

The EU needs a re-org, you are preaching to the converted, I doubt any of the remainers would disagree. However, leaving the EU is the act of a stupid child.
Think,
'You want to leave the warren? 'I dare you to run across the M4 at Heathrow without being run down at rushhour!''
''Oh, anything for independence!''

The only reference I can find about ‘the disgraced Liam Fox’ seems to be in pro European news articles.
Ahem....
1524430727235.png

He simply should not be in government, having let his, err friend, sit in on MOD meetings. I'd have said this regardless of the result or whichever party he was in but there's the point that he wouldn't have got in government without the result.

Last edited:
You most obviously do have have an axe to grind with Fox, given your inability to mention him without your favourite denigrating sobriquet.
Dunno about @skid2 - I certainly do. He shouldn't be in government and is far too close to US big business.

Nope, stream of consciousness again. The EU controls the talks because we submitted A50 before we had half a Scooby and have been on the back foot ever since.
Has it occurred to anyone that since the bureaucrats of the EU grudgingly allowed Article 50 to exist that they might have some, small, responsibility to make sure that it is executable in a fair manner, having taken into account borders etc?

It seems odd that those who won the diplomatic coup of its inclusion would come home rejoicing in the fact that it was either not worth the paper it was written on or that they expected a punitive execution of it that would harm their state, hence making it an appearance of democratic mandate for the consolation of the masses only.

Last edited:
Has it occurred to anyone that since the bureaucrats of the EU grudgingly allowed Article 50 to exist that they might have some, small, responsibility to make sure that it is executable in a fair manner, having taken into account borders etc?

It seems odd that those who won the diplomatic coup of its inclusion would come home rejoicing in the fact that it was either not worth the paper it was written or that they expected a punitive execution of it that would harm their state, hence making it an appearance of democratic mandate for the consolation of the masses only.
Blaming the EU for our continued failure to address the situation isn't good enough. We're still not doing it, they agreed to kick the can down the road twice in the mistaken belief that we were going to come up with something.

Not going to happen is it?

Not really, it's like Brexit in that respect. They'd all have been whooping and hollering "Freedom" without caring about any consequences.
Sitting in their caves, candles flickering poetically.
While awaiting rescue from the second Darien scheme.
Pish!