Brexit Phase Two - Trade

I love and admire Japan, in fact I married a Japanese girl. But even I accept that their moment on the world stage is drawing to a close. (Most Japanese agree with me).

Japan had no natural resources. It imported Australian coal and iron ore, made iron, converted it to steel, and then converted that steel into cars and motorbikes. Their big advantage was the introduction of QC and SPC. They took that from the USA, copied and improved British products, and sold them all over the world. Their product really was just that QC/SPC, and that is easy to copy. The Koreans, then the Thais, then the Chinese, then everyone else, took the model and copied that.

Endgame for japan. And lets not go into its finances.... its not a wise thing to do.

Forget japan, its dying. Look towards China.
Much of which I may agree with. It doesn't change the facts of Japanese investment in the UK and our defence relationship isn't growing with China. It is with Japan.

like the passengers of the second Olympic class ship per chance? Or maybe the experts who have called it wrong all the way through history. I believe it was a certain Mr William Gates who, as the then expert, stated you'd not need more than 1Mb of RAM. Someone declared we'd not need more than 100 computers in the world. Remember when planes and submarines were a mere aberration? Experts aren't necessarily worthy of the esteem you seem to hold them in.
Strawmen to the nth degree

like the passengers of the second Olympic class ship per chance? Or maybe the experts who have called it wrong all the way through history. I believe it was a certain Mr William Gates who, as the then expert, stated you'd not need more than 1Mb of RAM. Someone declared we'd not need more than 100 computers in the world. Remember when planes and submarines were a mere aberration? Experts aren't necessarily worthy of the esteem you seem to hold them in.
You'll have a link for the Gates 1Mb of ram statement? I'll save you the time, it was 640K and he didn't say it, the reverse in fact. I can recommend "Fire in the Valley" as good history for the development of the PC.

The '640K' quote won't go away -- but did Gates really say it?

A fine example of demagoguery though, making shit up to persuade people that your point is correct and disregarding reality. You could work with Nige, Wiggy and Aaron.

Yet more Gruniad links to posts for the swivel eyed loon remain voters to cuddle up to.....it's like watching my grandchildren snuggling up to their security blankets.
These clowns believe unelected EU apparatchiks over elected halfwits we can vote out or against. The mind boggles at the sheer stupidity of some people that call themselves British.

I love and admire Japan, in fact I married a Japanese girl. But even I accept that their moment on the world stage is drawing to a close. (Most Japanese agree with me).

Japan had no natural resources. It imported Australian coal and iron ore, made iron, converted it to steel, and then converted that steel into cars and motorbikes. Their big advantage was the introduction of QC and SPC. They took that from the USA, copied and improved British products, and sold them all over the world. Their product really was just that QC/SPC, and that is easy to copy. The Koreans, then the Thais, then the Chinese, then everyone else, took the model and copied that.

Endgame for japan. And lets not go into its finances.... its not a wise thing to do.

Forget japan, its dying. Look towards China.

As a rather wise man said.....

“At least the Japanese had the good sense to get rich before they grew old...”

Yet more Gruniad links to posts for the swivel eyed loon remain voters to cuddle up to.....it's like watching my grandchildren snuggling up to their security blankets.
These clowns believe unelected EU apparatchiks over elected halfwits we can vote out or against. The mind boggles at the sheer stupidity of some people that call themselves British.
The quote was from the Japanese ambassador.

Go virtue signal elsewhere, hugger of safe spaces

Much of which I may agree with. It doesn't change the facts of Japanese investment in the UK and our defence relationship isn't growing with China. It is with Japan.
Well we blew away the defence opportunity in our own lifetime - much of the pacific region that China is now intent upon occupying was British until 1980. Vanuatu was a joint French/British condominium, the Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Tuvalu, - at one time we ran most of the South Pacific.

Why did we give it all away? Because people insisted that our future was in Europe not in the pacific. I would cheerfully kick to death those idiots right now. and so would half the world....

Japanese defence? Its about as much use as the British armed forces. I have a stepson in the JSDF so I have a fair idea what I am talking about. you want tea ceremonies, flower arranging and full on PC, they are the guys to call. Its far different from the army that cut my uncles head off.

Indonesia, on the other hand, can put 250,000 of its 300,000 troops in the field any time it likes, and most are as hard as hell. Maybe we should be talking to them......

But lets look at the Japanese:

The Japanese have decentralised production to a global base. The biggest motorbike factory in the world is Honda at Bangalore India. Prior to that it was in Jakarta - I went round it some years ago.

From memory Honda don't even make motorbikes in Japan any more.

Very few Cannon cameras are made in Japan either. most are made in Thailand or Vietnam.

Times have changed, and they will change even more. Japan wont save you, trade wise, investment wise, or militarily. Please believe me on that......

We're all on ignore remember? By christ you're one weak individual. This clown believes someone who says "this will happen" over someone who says "It'll be easiest thing in the world...Unicorns...Churchill....oh feck...I haven't got a Scooby."

Few pints today?

Well we blew away the defence opportunity in our own lifetime - much of the pacific region that China is now intent upon occupying was British until 1980. Vanuatu was a joint French/British condominium, the Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Tuvalu, - at one time we ran most of the South Pacific.

Why did we give it all away? Because people insisted that our future was in Europe not in the pacific. I would cheerfully kick to death those idiots right now. and so would half the world....

Japanese defence? Its about as much use as the British armed forces. I have a stepson in the JSDF so I have a fair idea what I am talking about. you want tea ceremonies, flower arranging and full on PC, they are the guys to call. Its far different from the army that cut my uncles head off.

Indonesia, on the other hand, can put 250,000 of its 300,000 troops in the field any time it likes, and most are as hard as hell. Maybe we should be talking to them......

The Japanese have decentralised production to a global base. The biggest motorbike factory in the world is Honda at Bangalore India. Prior to that it was in Jakarta - I went round it some years ago.

Very few Cannon cameras are made in Japan either. most are made in Thailand or Vietnam.

Times have changed, and they will change even more. Japan wont save you, trade wise, investment wise, or militarily. Please believe me on that......

True, the new found Pacific interest in Washington and London is now about holding on to what’s left, not containing China. SE Asia’s gone, The South China Sea is now a de facto private Chinese lake, the islands in the ‘outer chain’ now seem to be falling under Chinese hegemony too.

It’s all a bit 1942... in Cantonese.

We gave it away because our politicians didn't want the cost of maintaining the end of empire.

Japan still has 1,000 companies who have invested in the UK as a gateway to the EU. Which is still our biggest trading partner by a significant amount and will remain so for the foreseeable.

I'm not looking to be saved, neither is the UK. We're are looking to keep Japanese investment and build effective militarily alliances, for mutual benefit though. Indonesia doesn't fit in the stable, democratic institution and effective military forces model. Having said that, if they wanted three dozen Eurofighters I'm sure we'd be more receptive to their needs.

Last edited:
True, the new found Pacific interest in Washington and London is now about holding on to what’s left, not containing China. SE Asia’s gone, The South China Sea is now a de facto private Chinese lake, the islands in the ‘outer chain’ now seem to be falling under Chinese hegemony too.

It’s all a bit 1942... in Cantonese.
I was working in Kiribati about ten years ago. The Chief Magistrate took me for dinner. she said "we really wish the British hadn't gone. Things worked when they were here" They certainly didn't work by the time I arrived.

The Chinese, even then, wanted to build a deepwater port big enough to take its new carriers.

Some people in London should be hanging their heads in shame.

Not an import duty though; more a tax on smoking that helps pay for what it costs the NHS.

However, it does show the duplicity if the EU.
It’s scared fart,ex’s at the thought of a low tax, low duty UK, yet let’s its Furpbrer in Chief turn his home country into just that within the EU.

Japan still has 1,000 companies who have invested in the UK as a gateway to the EU. Which is still our biggest trading partner by a significant amount and will remain so for the foreseeable.
Errrrr No.

from the guardian, "Figures from the ONS showed that Europe is gradually becoming a less important destination for UK companies. In 2000, 60% of exports went to other EU countries, but the percentage fell to 58% in 2005, 54% in 2010 and 47% in 2015."

47% isn't "biggest trading partner".

I'm sorry mate, you, like the EU, are living in the last millennium.

It IDS countries like Indonesia that we need to be trading with. 250 million people, all aspiring for a better life.

Yes they are corrupt, and yes they have a bit a a grubby history of civil rights.

BUT SO HAS THE EU!!!!!!!!