Brexit Phase Two - Trade

You seem to have skated over the very real threats to give her her P45 If she stays in any customs union. Rees-Mogg will be a shoo in as PM abd he’s going to be a much tougher cookie fir the EUSSR to deal with,

We'll now soon enough. Fun, isn't it?

Funny how no ‘solution’ Is possible fir the RoI / NI border bar the status quo,

And yet, the Swiss borderseems to work perfectly well using the systems the UK suggested but the EU claim c’est impossible!

I love that they quote the Sunday rags as the truth. The Sunday Times, FFS, what next, the 'Mail on Sunday'?
I can almost smell the stench of piss and tear stained bedding, and forlorn hope for remaining in their righteous European Union........that no-one voted for.
I bid you remain voting clowns, back on ignore.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I love that they quote the Sunday rags as the truth. The Sunday Times, FFS, what next, the 'Mail on Sunday'?
I can almost smell the stench of piss and tear stained bedding, and forlorn hope for remaining in their righteous European Union........that no-one voted for.
I bid you remain voting clowns, back on ignore.
That’s the spirit. Don’t like what I’m hearing or reading. I’ll just sit in my echo chamber and look all surprised when it happens. And repeat after me.
‘ It’s not a Customs Union. It’s something completely different’. (in the title).
‘It’s not a betrayal, because it’s not called the Customs Union. We are leaving the Customs Union. This is completely different’. (No matter what it looks like)

That’s the spirit. Don’t like what I’m hearing or reading. I’ll just sit in my echo chamber and look all surprised when it happens. And repeat after me.
‘ It’s not a Customs Union. It’s something completely different’. (in the title).
‘It’s not a betrayal, because it’s not called the Customs Union. We are leaving the Customs Union. This is completely different’. (No matter what it looks like)

So you just read the preview?

Last edited:
If the UK dropped all import tariffs post brexit that map would change dramatically.

Economists have argued for decades that tariffs are unfair and unproductive. They exist to protect inefficient industries.

With zero tariffs and an increased consumption tax to make up the shortfall, the UK would be a free trade zone on the edge of the EU, with an open border via Ireland. Good would surge in tariff free, and be redirected from Ireland into mainland EU.

The EU would have no option but to man the border and stop the flow of tax free goods. The EU or Ireland would have to pay for the border, police it, and put up with the political problems of dividing Ireland. The UK could shrug its shoulders (French style) and say “ not our problem, we are just implementing 21C economic policies that benefit our citizens. If yo don’t want the goods going into the EU it’s your problem”

The UK free trade zone would terrify the EU, and the UK economy would boom, just as Singapore and Hong Kong did when they introduced free trade.

Make no mistake, the EU tariffs exist only to protect inefficient production in the EU - which is what it was created to do. Going free trade UK (call it FTUK) would plunge a knife deep into the heart of the EU.

Even threatening to do it would cause heart attacks in some areas.
Many, many decades ago, centuries ago even, Britain had Free Trade, it was a disaster as the Treasury shortfall was made up from increased domestic taxation; no one could afford to buy anything.

I don't see why we should subsidise foreign manufacturers and penalise our own by allowing foreign goods in tax free.

Many, many decades ago, centuries ago even, Britain had Free Trade, it was a disaster as the Treasury shortfall was made up from increased domestic taxation; no one could afford to buy anything.

I don't see why we should subsidise foreign manufacturers and penalise our own by allowing foreign goods in tax free.
That’s actually incorrect. Britain didn’t impose “free trade” - it simply removed SOME duties. Four of the imports chosen to bear duties - tobacco, tea, spirits and wine - produced 95 per cent of the revenue from customs.

I can post quite a lot on it if you wish.

Latest Threads