Brexit Phase Two - Trade

That bodes well, we can’t even negotiate the contract to ensure we win the printing of our own (dark blue ) passport.

What’s unfair competition?
The French bringing it in at a more competitive price. Isn’t that what free and unfettered trade is meant to be all about?

Gemalto is a multi national company with operations in 49 countries, including a huge presence in Noth America. Its not 'French'.

I think you’ve got your interferers in the Middle East mixed up. Shouldn’t you be laying the Middle East thing at the door of the existant USA as opposed to the non existent USE.
Bollox. EU FP has been predicated to people movement to underpin a greater ponzi scheme. You do realisemreater Turkeyanent Asylum. What was our policy in the UK, keep them in their locality so they could go home? You do realise that most of the people from Syria will never go home, so it's just a case of naturalisation as opposed to permanent Asylum. Suddenly the EU wakes up to the problem and changes tack. Most of our ME doctors and Scientists didn't wait for Syria, Iraq, Egypt, etc to blow up, they had the quals and they came. And now Turkey is on route to make Hay in Syria and become a greater Turkey. You don't think they'll relinquish their occupied territories do you?

A guess based on figures from over 20 years ago? Which doesn't include infra and I'd hazard no inflation. So what is the government doing to deliver this?
Actually I did allow a little inflation- Don't ask me what the Government is doing to counter this I'm retired. I do point out That Hilary Benn and others bemoan the fact that we have no Customs service cos they wrote it off. You asked for costings. Ball Park! I'm ready to come back and train nascent Customs officers if necessary. What I do call bull is the tripe that comes out from people who've never even got their knees brown.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Surely the fact that the Dutch PM says that means that the balance is in the system to prevent the EU commission doing as it likes?

EU is a flawed system, but better that than feeding the UK to the sharks feet first, in my view.
You don't half talk pish. The EU is rockier than the Bass Rock.

Very interesting link. Some comments by the Dutch PM.

He doesn't like central control from Brussels.
Europe must be built upon the foundation of its nation-states, and not imposed upon us by Brussels.

And

The Commission should serve the EU members, not the other way around. I know that I won't get any applause in Brussels for this statement.
On the suggestion that Holland and Germany pay more into the EU budget to make up for the lost UK contribution.
No, we don't intend to do that... I would be surprised if Germany ended up paying much more.
He wants to expand the euro's bailout fund but recognises this will require treaty change.
In order to transform the ESM into an EU institution, it would be necessary to amend the European treaties, and I don't see any willingness to do this on anyone's part.
Doesn't like the way the EU uses structural funds
We want to use this money to support the reforms that the Commission regularly proposes in its country-specific recommendations. Instead of spending money on useless highways, this allows us to target growth.
Doesn't like the EU Commission picking on small countries while ignoring the bigger fish.
The moment the Commission gives the impression that it strictly ensures that small countries respect the stability pact but does not apply the same oversight to Italy and France, it undermines the rules that we have agreed upon together. Italy has sovereign debt of over 130 percent of GDP while France has a debt of roughly 100 percent. That is where Mr. Juncker should be placing his focus.
And realises the banks in Europe are heavily indepted.
As long as the countries concerned fail to reduce the risks on their own banks' balance sheets, nothing will happen. The Maastricht Treaty imposes public debt ceilings on the member countries, and not on Europe.

Doesn't appear to be too happy with the EU Commission.

And at the risk of saying "I told you so", he's saying much of the same things that I've been saying. Although Wordsmith has zero influence on the EU Commission, the Dutch Prime Minister has genuine clout.

Wordsmith

You mean he will be listened to, whereas David Cameron was mocked and ignored?
Yawn. Treaty change was required.

David went to Brussels with wholly fantastical expectations, which he tried to sell to the gullible.

Much like the current lot really.

We can now look forward to wholesale bullying by the big boy next door.

Yawn. Treaty change was required.

David went to Brussels with wholly fantastical expectations, which he tried to sell to the gullible.

Much like the current lot really.

We can now look forward to wholesale bullying by the big boy next door.
And treaty change is required to reform the Eurozone in order to put the Euro on a sustainable basis, which can accurately be described in the terms you've applied to Cameron's efforts.

The EU would do well to note this bit of the Dutch critique:

"The moment the Commission gives the impression that it strictly ensures that small countries respect the stability pact but does not apply the same oversight to Italy and France, it undermines the rules that we have agreed upon together. Italy has sovereign debt of over 130 percent of GDP while France has a debt of roughly 100 percent. That is where Mr. Juncker should be placing his focus."

Ouch!

You mean he will be listened to, whereas David Cameron was mocked and ignored?
With the extension of QMV to much of the decision making within the EU, no single country can block progress. The only way you can block change is to form alliances with like minded countries. Given that the UK was poor at that, and given that the UK wanted to go in a different direction to much of the EU, we faced the prospect of being consistently outvoted year after year had we remained in the EU.

However, it's noticeable that Holland was one of a group of eight countries that united to oppose Marcon's call for further integration. That's enough of a voting bloc to prevent many decisions requiring QMV being passed. As such, I suspect the EU faces deadlock on any moves to further integration.

Wordsmith

The EU would do well to note this bit of the Dutch critique:

"The moment the Commission gives the impression that it strictly ensures that small countries respect the stability pact but does not apply the same oversight to Italy and France, it undermines the rules that we have agreed upon together. Italy has sovereign debt of over 130 percent of GDP while France has a debt of roughly 100 percent. That is where Mr. Juncker should be placing his focus."
That'll be the Italian government planning to subvert the euro. I'll bet that the EU sits up and takes notice of that. Whereupon the Italian government will also request that the EU Commission takes action against all other countries in breach of the euro's convergence criteria. Popcorn time...

In any event, one of the reasons that Italy has got sovereign debt at over 130% of GDP is down to its euro membership. The euro is too strong for the current state of its economy, resulting in a rise in imports, while exports have been progressively choked off. (A fact well known to the incoming government).

That's an almost Kafkaesque situation: Italy can't meet the euro's convergence criteria because its a member of the euro.

Wordsmith

That'll be the Italian government planning to subvert the euro. I'll bet that the EU sits up and takes notice of that. Whereupon the Italian government will also request that the EU Commission takes action against all other countries in breach of the euro's convergence criteria. Popcorn time...

In any event, one of the reasons that Italy has got sovereign debt at over 130% of GDP is down to its euro membership. The euro is too strong for the current state of its economy, resulting in a rise in imports, while exports have been progressively choked off. (A fact well known to the incoming government).

That's an almost Kafkaesque situation: Italy can't meet the euro's convergence criteria because its a member of the euro.

Wordsmith
There's an excellent piece in the Telegraph (apologies to those who can't get behind the paywall):

The next global recession will entirely reshape the Brexit debate

Basically it's bad news for everybody, but particularly the Eurozone as we head into the next downward cycle because it lacks flexibility and has pretty much fired off all its ammunition when QE ends in December. Italy looks odds on to play the role of Greece only, this time round, Paris and Berlin won't have the bullying option.

There's an excellent piece in the Telegraph (apologies to those who can't get behind the paywall):

The next global recession will entirely reshape the Brexit debate

Basically it's bad news for everybody, but particularly the Eurozone as we head into the next downward cycle because it lacks flexibility and has pretty much fired off all its ammunition when QE ends in December. Italy looks odds on to play the role of Greece only, this time round, Paris and Berlin won't have the bullying option.
Or the money to rescue the Italian economy. Italy is definitely in the too big to fail category. Quite how the eurozone responds when a 'too big to fail' fails is an interesting conundrum.

The minnows were bullied into internal devaluation. The EU forced massive public spending cuts on Greece, et al. Which in turn forced the respective government to cut jobs and wages, restoring some of the competitiveness they'd lost due to euro membership/profligate financial policies.

No way can they do that with Italy. It's too big to bully - and might just retaliate by repudiating all debts owed to the ECB. Which would pull the eurozone temple down around the EU's ears.

Nor should we forget Spain; the Spanish banks required a partial rescue after the Lehman crash. I think the next recession might push then over the edge. A near simultaneous failure of the Italian and Spanish economies would be the double act from hell as far as the EU is concerned.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453